Three people have been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder after a Bradford man was found dead inside a long-disused bank building.

Last yesterday, police revealed that the body found in the former Yorkshire Bank building in Batley was that of Asghar Badshah, 39, from Bradford.

Mr Badshah, who was reported missing on December 4, was found when police forced entry to the former bank on Commercial Street on Sunday. His family have since been informed.


Two men aged 27 and 30, as well as a 41-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder.

Both men have been released under investigation and the woman is on bail pending further enquiries.

Detective Chief Inspector Heather Whoriskey, of the Homicide and Major Enquiry Team, said: “Enquiries are continuing into the death of Mr Badshah, who was reported missing on 4 December.

“We believe he was last seen in the early hours of November 30 and I would appeal to anyone who has witnessed any suspicious activity in Commercial Street around that time or since to contact my team, so we can establish if this is linked to our investigation.”

The victim’s family has paid tribute to Mr Badshah, remembering his “beautiful smile and charisma”.

Relatives are urging the public to report any information to police as they “pray for justice for Asghar”.

Mr Badshah’s family said: “We as a family are deeply shocked and devastated by the loss of our dear brother Asghar Badshah. His beautiful smile and charisma, as well as his generosity will never be forgotten.

“We as a family please ask for privacy during our time of grief as our elderly mother is deeply upset at this time. We pray for justice for Asghar and appeal to the public for any assistance they can provide to the police in this investigation.”

The force officially confirmed yesterday morning that a murder investigation had been launched.

Murder squad detectives were at the scene throughout Monday, but police only officially confirmed the nature of the investigation on New Year’s Eve.

Commercial Street and Wellington Street were sealed off when forensic officers arrived on the Sunday. Roads in the vicinity were also closed, with disruptions caused to bus services.

A video from the scene on Monday showed numerous police and forensic vans parked up on the main road. At least four officers were clad in white forensic suits and were seen entering and leaving the building throughout the day.

Tracy Brabin, MP for Batley and Spen, said: “This was a serious and worrying incident and I can’t imagine what it must be like for the friends and family of the victim.

“Let’s hope the perpetrators are quickly brought to justice.

“Serious crime like this is a blight on our community and I will continue to raise my concerns with senior government ministers to support our police to give them the funding they need. I’d also like to thank the local traders who - faced with temporary closure due to the police cordon - showed understanding and patience in an extremely difficult situation.”