TWO MEN accused of carrying out a kidnapping in Bradford insisted that they had nothing to do with the crime when they were arrested and questioned by police.

One of the pair, Ghufran Khalid, claimed he was being “set up” while the other, Paul Serrant, repeatedly told detectives that he had had been at home with his family members at the time.

Serrant pointed out that the suspect was said to be “mixed race” while he was white and he asked to go on an identification parade.

But Bradford Crown Court heard yesterday afternoon that officers were unable to organise one because the alleged victim of the kidnapping refused to take part.

During his interview the day after the attack, Khalid highlighted a description of the other suspect as being clean-shaven when he already had about four or five days of growth on his face.

Earlier in the case, the prosecution has alleged that the pair were in a Mercedes car which pulled up alongside 37-year-old Ataf Ali’s vehicle outside his home in Ellercroft Road, in the Lidget Green area of the city, in November 2018.

The jury in the case has heard claims that Mr Ali was ordered into the Mercedes, blackmailed for £10,000, threatened with a machete and assaulted during the incident.

Prosecutor Gerald Hendron alleged that Serrant had been responsible for choking Mr Ali in a headlock and wrapping a seatbelt round his neck.

He said they believed that Mr Ali had given a lift to a man called Imran Sajwal, who was thought to be having an affair with Khalid’s wife.

Khalid, 40, and Serrant, 28, both of Withins Close, Great Horton, have denied charges of kidnap, blackmail, threatening with an offensive weapon and assault.

In interview, Khalid said Mr Ali’s account was “a blatant, straight lie” and insisted that the allegations were “a set up” relating to on-going issues with Mr Sajwal and others.

Khalid said he had been at home at the time of the alleged kidnapping.

He denied driving the Mercedes that night.

Serrant also told detectives that he was at home that night before being dropped off at Trafalgar House police station by his sister.

“It’s nowt to do with me. 100 per cent,” he said.

“I was at home all the time this happened.”

The prosecution have now closed their case.

The trial is set to continue later today.