STAFF had to evacuate a Keighley town-centre sandwich bar when a fire broke out in the basement.

The blaze started in an electrical box at Fresh Bites, Cooke Street, and filled the premises with smoke.

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus to tackle the flames and used a special high-powered ventilation fan to help clear the smoke.

The fire was brought under control quickly, but firefighters remained at the scene for more than two hours until Northern Powergrid engineers had attended to ensure the electrics were safe.

Crews from Keighley and Bingley were called out to the incident shortly after 6pm yesterday.

Watch commander Ahsan Ali, of Keighley Fire Station, said: "When we arrived the building was full of smoke.

"Staff had raised the alarm and evacuated the premises.

"We managed to confine the fire to the basement area, but there was smoke damage to the rest of the building."