What was initially an annexe of the Kirkgate church began its life, in 1884, in a rented room above a shop at the bottom of Dyson Street, off Sunbridge Road. But as the work and support grew, it became obvious that a larger, permanent home was going to be necessary.

A site at the bottom of Gaynor Street was chosen, the land was bought, money was raised or guaranteed, and a foundation stone was laid on March 18, 1889.