A VAN was "completely destroyed" after a fire yesterday evening that spread to a nearby house.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS) attended the scene at around 7pm, on Chelmsford Road, Bradford Moor.

A WYFRS spokesman said: "The van was completely destroyed and there was damage to the ground floor of the building."

Nobody was in the property and the resident was later found outside.

The flat above the ground floor suffered smoke damage.

A gas pipe was also impacted and the gas board had to come check it.

The WYFRS spokesman said: "There was no immediate danger.

"The gas board was happy to do the check under immediate working conditions."

Fire crews from Bradford, Shipley and Stanningley attended.

Four breathing apparatus were used.