A CONVERTED mill apartment was alight last night after a candle was left in a wine bottle.

The blaze happened in a modern flat in Velvet Mill (part of the Lister Mills development), just off Lilycroft Road in Manningham.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS) was called to the incident at around 9:30pm yesterday evening.

There was smoke throughout the apartment, but crews were able to tackle the blaze in about an hour.

A WYFRS spokesman said: "The fire started from a candle that had been left in a wine bottle.

"There was damage to the kitchen area."

They also reiterated the importance of having a working smoke alarm, as this apartment did not have any.

Fire crews from Fairweather Green, Bingley, Stanningley and Rawdon attended.

There was also an aerial appliance on the scene from Leeds Fire Station.