Armed police swooped on a Keighley street during a second night of drama in the centre of town.

Officers responded to reports that men with weapons had been seen in Devonshire Street West on Friday evening.

The incident, which led to three arrests, is being linked to the shooting of a 28-year-old man at the Jet petrol station in South Street the previous night.

In the second incident, police were called at about 8pm by someone claiming a number of people were involved in “a bit of a commotion” with some of them carrying weapons.

A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “Armed officers were deployed to the scene. Arrests were made in relation to the incident in Devonshire Street West.”


Two men aged 42 and 35 were arrested for possession of an offensive weapon in a public place and were remanded to appear before Bradford magistrates today.

A 41-year-old man was bailed after being arrested for possession of an offensive weapon in a public place.

The police spokesman confirmed the arrests were also in relation to the incident on Thursday evening at the Jet petrol station on South Street.

Police had responded to reports of a “firearms discharge” on the forecourt at 11.11pm on Thursday.

The police spokesman said the caller had reported two vehicles had been involved and had both left the scene.

The spokesman said: “Officers found evidence to suggest this was a genuine report.

“A short time later police were notified that a 28-year-old man had attended hospital with what appeared to be gunshot wounds to his legs.”

The man was detained in hospital where his condition was described as stable.

The spokesman added: “Two vehicles have been recovered for further tests and enquiries are ongoing into what is being treated as a targeted attack.”

People living in streets as far away as Selborne Grove, on the border of Lund Park, reported hearing shots or loud bangs.

The service station remained cordoned off by police on Friday, and closed to the public.

Anyone with information about the petrol station incident is asked to contact police on 101, or by using the reporting options on the West Yorkshire Police website, quoting log 2180 of 29 August.