SHIPLEY Fire Station have stressed the importance of working smoke alarms, after a family managed to quickly escape a property in Manningham following a bathroom fire.

The alarm alerted the four occupants, who were able to leave the house unharmed before calling the fire service.

A spokesperson for Shipley Fire Station said: "We were called to a domestic house fire on Victor Road in Manningham at around 2:15am.

"There was a fire in the bathroom, on the first floor. There were four crews there, one from Shipley, one from Fairweather Green and two from Bradford.

"We had to use two breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet and a fan to clear smoke from the property.

"The occupants called us as they had all left the building before we arrived. The smoke alarm alerted them to the fire, and that shows the importance of having a working one.

"Two appliances remained on the scene for 90 minutes. There was damage to the bathroom and a little bit of smoke damage to the rest of the property."