TWO Bradford men jailed for life for the murder of Amriz Iqbal, known as Major, have lodged appeals against their convictions and sentences.

Mohammed Nisar Khan, known as Meggy, was sentenced to a minimum term of 26 years, and Tony Grant, known as Granty, to at least 17 years behind bars at Bradford Crown Court on May 1.

Khan, 41, of Holme Lane, Tong, Bradford, was convicted by a jury of murdering Mr Iqbal by deliberately running him over in Sandford Road, Bradford Moor.

He was also found guilty of attempting to murder Mr Iqbal’s friend, Adnan Ahmed, who was crossing the road with him.

Grant, 39, of Queens Road, Bradford, was convicted of murdering Mr Iqbal.

Khan, Grant and Salman Ismail, 31, of Hollin Road, Shipley, Bradford, were found guilty of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice by plotting to firebomb and rob the Whitehall Road Service Station in Birkenshaw to destroy incriminating CCTV footage.

Ismail, who was jailed for 17 years, is appealing against his sentence.

The criminal appeal office at the Royal Courts of Justice in London confirmed that it had received applications to appeal from all three men.

Their cases will first be heard by a single judge to determine if they go forward to a full hearing of three High Court judges. The initial process could take up to six months.

A spokeswoman for the Crown Prosecution Service in West Yorkshire said: “We can confirm that all three defendants have lodged notices of appeal.”

The Telegraph & Argus understands that Mr Iqbal’s family has been informed about the pending appeals.

Khan, Grant and Ismail were sentenced by the Recorder of Bradford, Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC after a trial lasting five weeks.

The jury heard that Mr Iqbal and Mr Ahmed were flung in the air by a silver Kia Sedona shortly after 1pm on October 3 last year.

Mr Iqbal, 40, of Curzon Road, Bradford Moor, sustained an unsurvivable injury when his head struck a tree. Mr Ahmed was treated in hospital for a dislocated shoulder.

Khan denied being in the vehicle at the time while Grant said he was in the passenger seat. There were up to four other men in the back of the vehicle.

Simon Csoka QC, Khan’s barrister, told the jury he had no motive for wishing to harm Mr Iqbal.

Grant, a long distance lorry driver, was said by his barrister, Timothy Raggatt QC, to have been “swept along” by events that day.

Sentencing the two men, Judge Durham Hall said it was a shared group attack on Mr Iqbal, with Khan in command.

“You are ruthless and dangerous, command obedience and loyalty and consider yourself untouchable,” the judge told Khan.

Of the attack, he said: "It is indeed a barbaric event, violently and brutally executed in broad daylight."