Bingley fire station has highlighted the importance of working smoke detectors after a call out to a small house fire this morning.

Fire crews were called out to a house on Ethel Street in Keighley at half past 11 after "careless" disposal of a cigarette. 

Neighbours alerted emergency services after hearing the fire alarm sound with three engines from Bingley, Illingworth and Shipley arriving at the scene.

The fire, which started in the basement, was put out swiftly and nobody was in the house.

A spokesperson for West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: "Make sure you check your smoke detector once a week."