FAIRWEATHER Green fire station have issued a safety warning to parents, after a child playing with a lighter was the suspected cause of a Bradford house fire last night.

Two victims, a male teenager and an adult female, suffered smoke inhalation and had to be taken to hospital by ambulance after the bedroom fire, on Cemetery Road in Lidget Green.

The blaze, which took place just before 8:30pm, meant crews from Fairweather Green, Bradford and Odsal had to use two hose reels and four breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire.

They also had to use a fan to help with the smoke clearance. Firefighters were at the property for around three hours.

Watch Commander Abid Qureshi, speaking on behalf of Fairweather Green fire station, said: "We suspect the cause of the fire was a child playing with a lighter.

"The message here is to ensure that all lighters, or anything that can ignite, are kept away from children.

"We thought the male teenager involved in the incident had suffered burns to his hand, but we later established that those were there from a separate incident.

"We got the call at 8:26pm and were at the house until about 11:30pm."