A MAN has been found not guilty of rape and attempted murder but guilty of two counts of grievous bodily harm with intent following an 11-day trial at Bradford Crown Court.

Wayne McNally, 34, of John Street, Tong Street, Bradford, but originally from Dublin, Ireland, was found guilty by a jury of the two attacks on a man and a woman in the early hours of December 22, 2018.

He was also found guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm against the same woman two days earlier.

The jury cleared McNally of attempted murder of the man, but found him guilty of a lesser charge of GBH with intent.

He was also found not guilty of raping the woman, and a charge of assault by beating against his wife.

After around three-and-a-half hours of deliberations, the jury of five men and seven women returned their verdict to Judge Neil Davey QC, who thanked them for their time, patience and efforts during the trial.

The bearded McNally reacted with relief when cleared of raping the woman.

He has been remanded in custody following his conviction, will be sentenced by Judge Davey on Tuesday, May 28.

Throughout the trial, the court heard how during the evening of December 21 and early hours of December 22, McNally had been drinking and taking drugs with the woman while she wrapped Christmas presents.

At some point that morning, a male friend of the woman turned up at the house, and the three of them continued to drink and snort cocaine.

McNally and the woman then got a lift to Asda to buy more alcohol and some cigarettes, before returning to the house.

At some point after, McNally’s mood changed and be began to accuse the man and woman of being in a sexual relationship which they both denied, and the woman tried to change the conversation.

Enraged, McNally embarked on a sustained, drug-fuelled attack on the pair, punching the woman repeatedly in the face and stabbing her in the neck with a pair of scissors.

He also unleashed a flurry of punches on the man and stabbed him a number of times in the leg, before leaving the house.

McNally called his wife to pick him up, and went home to pick up his passport before telling her to drive him to across the Pennines to Manchester Airport.

A one-way ticket to Dublin was bought for him, but he was arrested in the terminal before he could board the flight to his homeland.

Two days earlier, after becoming angry while on the phone, McNally lashed out at the woman by throwing a phone charger at her, which hit her in the face causing a mark to her cheek.

The man and woman both suffered major injuries in the December 22 attack, including facial fractures and stab wounds.

A police officer who attended the scene said the man “looked like the Elephant Man” because his head was so swollen.

During the trial, the jury heard McNally has a history of violence, being jailed for 13 years in Ireland in 2008 for shooting a bouncer in the face outside a nightclub and assaulting two Gardai (police officers).