BEFORE today the longest jail term handed down to Mohammed Nisar Khan was a four-and-a-half year sentence for robbery in 1999.

Forty-one-year-old Khan – better known among his friends and associates as Meggy – has 10 convictions on his record for 51 offences.

He was jailed in 2011 for 30 months for affray; the last jail term he received before his life sentence.

Earlier this year, Leeds Crown Court heard claims that he was a police informant.

The allegations were made during a trial regarding the events of a police shooting on the M62 in January 2017.

YouTube videos describe him as ‘King Meggy’ of Bradford.

He was first jailed in 1999 when Khan and his accomplice, Steven Barker, were both found guilty of robbery after they stole £20,000 from a Securitas officer outside a travel agent's.


During their four-day trial, Bradford Crown Court heard how Susan Phillips was struck on the arm with a foot-long stick as she collected cash from Kashmir Travel, in Barkerend Road, in December 1997.

Both men fled in a Ford Escort and the getaway vehicle was later found in Maudsley Street. Officers also recovered a knife and a balaclava.

When forensic scientists tested DNA found on the balaclava, it was matched to Khan and he was arrested six months after the robbery.

Both men were jailed for four-and-a-half years.

A decade later he was back in the headlines - only this time as the victim when he was the subject of a failed attempt on his life.

The trial in July 2009 involved an uncle and his nephew taking matters into their own hands and allegedly trying to kill Khan after one of them was shot in the leg.

The two accused men were both cleared of conspiracy to murder after a trial at Bradford Crown Court.

The prosecution said the murder plot was in revenge for a previous shooting when the younger man suffered damage to his leg from a gunshot which ended his boxing career in June, 2007.

Khan was shot and wounded at his girlfriend’s home in Dobkiln Lane, Bingley, in August, 2007.

The younger man told the court how he wanted revenge on Khan, but he had only intended to smash his cars up.

Another feud between Khan and a Bradford family saw his name mentioned in a third trial in May 2012.

Zeeshan Khan, 33, a manager at the family-run Saffron Desi restaurant in Leeds Road, Bradford, and David Pemberton, 37, were imprisoned for 12 years and three months, and ten years and 11 months, respectively, at Leeds Crown Court after pleading guilty to conspiracy to possess firearms and ammunition with intent to endanger life.

Armed police seized a Mac 10 sub machine gun, a pump action shotgun, and a sniper’s rifle, along with 75 rounds of live ammunition, after stopping a van being driven into Bradford in January last year.

The brothers took the law into their own hands to protect their family with an arsenal of weapons after they had become embroiled in a feud with Meggy for more than 20 years.

The court was told that just before 11pm on January 27, 2011, armed police stopped a Transit van, as it travelled into Bradford along Cleckheaton Road in Oakenshaw.

In the back of the van, barely hidden under a carpet, they found a “lethal cargo”.

The feud had already led to a number of incidents, including an alleged assault on one of the group and windows at the restaurant being smashed on two occasions.

Khan was described as a police informant by one of the defendants in a trial in January 2017 when details of the events leading up to armed police shooting a man on the M62 were revealed.

The trial heard about the events surrounding the fatal shooting of Yassar Yaqub and three men were charged with conspiracy to possess firearms and ammunition with intent to endanger life.

Mr Yaqub met with Khan to sort out a dispute just hours before he was shot.

The jury heard that Mr Yaqub and one of his associates, Mohsin Amin, dined in the cafe for over an hour with Meggy and Kashif Tahir.

Mr Yaqub was telling Khan why a man called Khalil owed him money.

Meggy said Khalil had told him he did not owe any money. The discussion lasted 15 to 20 minutes and it was agreed that Meggy would bring Khalil to a meeting the next day.

Minutes after the meeting in Bradford ended, Mr Yaqub was shot dead by a police marksman beside the M62 at Ainley Top, near Huddersfield.