A HOMELESS drug addict who targeted a charity shop, two pharmacies and a church in a Christmas crime spree described himself in court as “the lowest of the low”.

Wayne Pearson, 39, dabbed his eyes in the dock at Bradford Crown Court on Friday as he told the judge he was sorry and ashamed of the break-ins in Shipley over the festive period.

Pearson admitted attempting to burgle Boots in the Market Square; raiding a charity box from the nearby Marie Curie charity shop; smashing his way into Lloyds Pharmacy on Bingley Road and stealing perfume and other items worth £1,000; breaking into St Peter’s Church in Moorhead Lane; and stealing a charity box containing £60 from Costcutter on Saltaire Road.

He also pleaded guilty to bank card fraud at a petrol station and shoplifting curtains worth £40, both on November 28.

Prosecutor Philip Adams said that Pearson was on bail for the November offences when he struck again over Christmas.

He left blood at the scene of the break-ins and made an untidy search of the church without stealing anything.

Pearson was arrested on a warrant and held in custody after failing to attend at Bradford and Keighley Magistrates Court.

When the police took him to Bradford Royal Infirmary, he was caught smoking crack cocaine in the toilets.

The court heard in mitigation that the shops targeted by Pearson were all closed over Christmas.

He did not steal drugs from Lloyds Pharmacy but made off with items he could sell quickly.

He broke into the church in the hope of finding somewhere warm and dry to sleep.

Judge Jonathan Rose read a letter from Pearson expressing his deep remorse.

Asked by the judge if he wanted to address him directly, he replied: “I am ashamed of what I have done. I have done the crime, I shall have to do the time.

“I’ve let myself down; my kids and my family down.”

Pearson said that after years of addiction he was weaning himself off class A drugs and had secured a place at a rehabilitation centre.

He would be treated at the address in Wales for up to 18 months if he was spared an immediate prison sentence.

Judge Rose bailed Pearson to return to court on Monday with proof of the rehabilitation centre placement. If it was forthcoming, he would defer sentence for six months.

The judge urged Pearson not to drink alcohol or take drugs over the weekend but to “celebrate with a cup of tea”.