One of two brothers on trial in connection with the death of 22-year-old law graduate Shamas Fakeer has been cleared.

Haaris Khan, 25, and Aamir Khan, 26, both of West Park Road, Girlington, went on trial yesterday accused of attempting to pervert the course of justice over the death crash in Bradford Road, Bingley, last February.

This morning, the court was told that Haaris Khan had now admitted the charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Taking into account that new information, Jonathan Sharpe, prosecuting, told the court it was not in the public interest to continue the case against Aamir Khan, who was then cleared by the jury on the direction of the judge.

Haaris Khan remains on trial on three other charges - causing the death of Shamas Fakeer by dangerous driving, causing death by driving with no driving licence, and causing death by driving without valid insurance. He denies those charges.

A third man, also named Haaris Khan, 26, of Park Grove, Frizinghall, has already pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving. He was driving the Audi RS4, in which Mr Fakeer was a passenger, when he lost control and hit a tree at speed in the early hours of Sunday, February 26, 2017.

Yesterday, Mr Sharpe told the jury at Bradford Crown Court how Haaris Khan had been driving a Volkswagen Golf on the night, racing from the junction of Toller Lane and Duckworth Lane towards Bingley.

He said the cars reached speeds of more than 70 miles per hour in 30mph and 40mph zones, before the driver of the Audi lost control and crashed.

Mr Sharpe said: “Haaris Khan has never passed a driving test and didn’t own the car he was driving, it belonged to his brother.

“He also was not insured, but none of that stopped him going out and driving it, taking it while his brother was asleep in bed.

“The cars were captured on various CCTV cameras, speed cameras and ANPR cameras along the route.

“A speed camera caught Haaris Khan driving at 61mph on the wrong side of the road.

“They were then caught on CCTV in Cottingley travelling at 75mph, shortly before the Audi driver lost control and crashed.

“Haaris Khan pulled up in the road and went over to the wrecked car. He did not call for an ambulance or the police. They left the Golf at the scene and he went home.

“His priority was to get back home and contact his brother, texting and calling him several times.

“One text read: ‘Never will I drive again no legit, not worth it. F**k’.

“He knew full well there had been a serious crash and someone had been seriously injured, and also knew he was at least partly responsible for the accident and death.

“Why else would he leave the car at the scene and just go home, not calling the emergency services?”

The trial continues.