TWO brothers have gone on trial in connection with the death of 22-year-old law graduate Shamas Fakeer in Bradford Road, Bingley, last February.

Haaris Khan, 24, and Aamir Khan, 25, both of West Park Road, Girlington, both deny attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Haaris Khan also denies causing the death of Shamas Fakeer by dangerous driving, causing death by driving with no driving licence, and causing death by driving without valid insurance.

A third man, also named Haaris Khan, 25, of Park Grove, Frizinghall, has already pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving. He was driving the Audi RS4, in which Mr Fakeer was a passenger, when he lost control and hit a tree at speed in the early hours of Sunday, February 26, 2017.

Jonathan Sharpe, prosecuting, told the jury at Bradford Crown Court how Haaris Khan had been driving a Volkswagen Golf on the night, racing from the junction of Toller Lane and Duckworth Lane towards Bingley.

He said the cars reached speeds of more than 70 miles per hour in 30mph and 40mph zones, before the driver of the Audi lost control and crashed.

Mr Sharpe said: “Haaris Khan has never passed a driving test and didn’t own the car he was driving, it belonged to his brother.

“He also was not insured, but none of that stopped him going out and driving it, taking it while his brother was asleep in bed.

“The cars were captured on various CCTV cameras, speed cameras and ANPR cameras along the route.

“A speed camera caught Haaris Khan driving at 61mph on the wrong side of the road.

“They were then caught on CCTV in Cottingley travelling at 75mph, shortly before the Audi driver lost control and crashed.

“Haaris Khan pulled up in the road and went over to the wrecked car. He did not call for an ambulance or the police. They left the Golf at the scene and he went home.

“His priority was to get back home and contact his brother, texting and calling him several times.

“One text read: ‘Never will I drive again no legit, not worth it. F**k’.

“He knew full well there had been a serious crash and someone had been seriously injured, and also knew he was at least partly responsible for the accident and death.

“Why else would he leave the car at the scene and just go home, not calling the emergency services?”

Mr Sharpe said police visited the brothers later that morning, and Aamir Khan said he had been driving and Haaris was the passenger.

“We would think by then Aamir knew full well what had happened. What they did instead was lie to police, but they stopped the deception when Aamir was taken to the station and arrested.

“Haaris admitted he had taken his brother’s car and was driving it at the time.”

Mr Sharpe said Haaris Khan was guilty of causing death by dangerous driving because he and the driver of the Audi had “acted together” by racing.

One witness, David Greenwood, saw the cars as he was waiting for a taxi to take him to the airport.

He said: “I couldn’t tell what the cars were they were going at such a speed.

“When they passed they were overlapping, but one tucked in behind the other to go over Cottingley bridge, but they were bumper to bumper, driving competitively in a racing style.

“My father had a saying when someone overtook him at speed they would end up wrapped around a lamppost, and then I heard a loud bang and thought, well that will be that.”

Taxi driver Shaqeel Hussain passed the cars in the opposite direction shortly before the crash.

He said the Audi’s back-end was slipping and sliding “like the driver had lost control”.

He heard the bang and turned around before calling 999.

Collision investigator Robert Crispin said the car had spun 36 degrees clockwise by the time it struck the tree.

He said the tree had forced its way through the vehicle, leaving a large gap in the side of the car.

He said: “The passenger had not been wearing a seatbelt so was thrown from the car, but if he had been wearing a seatbelt he would have been ripped in half.

“Either way we would have been dealing with a fatal accident.

“The driver lost control, hitting a tree on the grass verge and a stone wall seven metres from the tree. It travelled 63m out of control before coming to rest.”

A statement from another witness, Nathan Barker, said he had been on his way home from a night out when they passed the crash scene.

He said he saw a man on the grass verge "covered in blood", and checked for a pulse but could not find one.

He said he waved an ambulance over when it arrived and helped paramedics treat the injured man, before moving away to allow the emergency services to work.

Frank Hughes, another witness, said he saw a man running from the scene, and a car also speeding away from the scene shortly after the crash before the ambulance arrived.

The trial continues.