A BRADFORD pensioner recovering after being lost on freezing moors overnight has revealed how he didn’t know whether or not he would survive until the morning after he fell and broke his arm.

Stephen Wright, 70, was found thanks to his Endomondo fitness app, which tracks the route of its users and tells them how far they have travelled.

The information about Mr Wright’s hike had been automatically transferred from his iPhone to his home computer.

An astute police officer who went to see Mr Wright’s wife, Judith, 71, at the couple’s Heaton home, logged on to the family computer to look for clues and found Mr Wright’s most recent location.

Shortly after the information was passed to the rescue team, dad-of-two Mr Wright was found, at about 11am on Tuesday.

The retired electronic engineer, who had set off on a circular Millennium Walk from Stanbury on Monday, said: “I use this fitness app on my phone when I go for walks because then when I finish I can see exactly where I’ve walked and how far I’ve gone.

“Luckily a police officer at my house was able to view my progress by logging on to my computer.

“If it wasn’t for the app I don’t think they would have found me.

“I really like technology and I try to keep up with what’s going on.

“It’s situations like this you realise how valuable it can be.”

Mr Wright had only planned to be out for a couple of hours but was well prepared for a winter walk, wearing a jacket, hat and gloves.

He managed to keep sustained with a bottle of juice and two energy bars.

He said: “It was a really foggy day and I was doing the walk for the first time.

“I thought I was on the right path but as the sun started to go down I realised that I should already have got back to my car.

“I obviously took a wrong turn at some point and ended up in the middle of nowhere.

“After a while, it was pitch black and I couldn’t see anything, which is when I fell into a hole and smashed my arm.

“I knew that it was too dark to find my way back so I just lay down and kept out the way of the wind.

“It was really scary, I didn’t know whether or not I would survive to the morning.

“I had no idea if people were out looking for me or not.

“I was shaking from the cold so there was no chance of getting any sleep.

“Once the sun came up I got up and started walking again.

“It wasn’t long before I saw a helicopter overhead and that’s when I knew I would be okay.”