AN 18-YEAR-old "vulnerable" Bradford man, who threatened to hurt someone with a pole and a knife, has been given a second chance.

Jordan Carter must live at a supported housing complex in Aireville Road, Frizinghall, after admitting two charges of assaulting a police officer and possessing an offensive weapon, and a single charge of assault by beating.

The charges related to two separate but similar incidents that took place in the centre of Shipley on June 3 and 20.

The Recorder of Bradford, Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC, sentenced Carter to a two year community order with up to 40 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

It is also a requirement that he resides at the Fresh Start Independence Project's home and must comply with a six month curfew between the hours of 8pm and 8am.

The Judge warned Carter that people were "fed up " of his antics and that he would be locked up if he did this again.

"You have a problem with knives and fantasies and drama. Everything you have done seems to be because you are bored, wanting attention or to shock people."

Prosecutor Philip Adams told Bradford Crown Court that Carter called police at around 1am on June 3 this year.

"He told the operators that he wanted to hurt himself or some one else. He said he had taken drugs and was in possession of a plastic pole that he wanted to use on someone."

Police officers found Carter in Market Square in Shipley where he "seemed very agitated" but appeared to be "enjoying the attention".

As he attempted to remove the weapon he was carrying from his sleeve officers were able to step in and arrest him.

But when he arrived at hospital for assessment he began lashing out at the officers, kicking and spitting, with one officer suffering scratches and bruises to the hands and one forearm, and another a cut on his right knee.

A similar phonecall to police took place at around 11pm on June 20, with Carter threatening to "hurt someone and then top himself". This time he told operators he had a kitchen knife in his pocket.

When officers challenged him and threatened to use a Taser, he voluntarily put down the knife.

He was then detained under the mental health act for his own safety and began lashing out, swinging his arms around, hitting one officer in the face causing a cut lip.

Stephen Swan, for Carter, said he did appear to have "some degree of control" over his anger, adding: "He was never serious about harming anyone - he wanted the attention."

He added that he had no formal diagnosis but that his level of comprehension was younger than his years.