A BRADFORD mother has admitted killing her 18-month-old son, who died after falling from a sixth-floor window at a block of flats.

Gemma Procter, 23, had been due to go on trial at Bradford Crown Court today, accused of murdering her toddler son Elliot.

But when she appeared before the court this morning, she pleaded guilty to manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility as the charge was put to her.

Elliot Procter was found with fatal injuries outside Newcastle House flats, Barkerend, in October last year.

During the 10-minute-long hearing, prosecutor Kama Melly QC said Procter’s plea was acceptable and that two psychiatrists who had assessed her agreed on their conclusions, although the details were not provided in court.

Procter stood in the dock surrounded by staff from the secure hospital where she is being held.

She was wearing a striped blouse and black jacket, with black trousers, and her hair was tied back.

Procter spoke only to confirm her name and to deny murder but admit the charge of manslaughter.

Ms Melly told the court that the conclusions of the medical reports were “the basis for the plea of manslaughter – on the grounds of diminished responsibility”.

She added: “The plea on the basis of diminished responsibility is acceptable.”

Simon Kealey QC, in mitigation, said that given the plea of manslaughter a further psychiatric report would now need to be prepared, and the defence’s medical expert would be available to give evidence in person during the sentencing hearing.

No details were provided in court as to what happened at the block of flats where Procter lived that led to her son’s tragic death.

The court was also told that Procter was due to move to a secure hospital in York today.

The Recorder of Bradford, Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC, said there was a “massive interest” in the case, “quite rightly”.

He told Procter: “We will resolve this matter, come what may, on June 15 when all the doctors and everybody else who needs to have a say have reported to me.”

Sentencing is to take place on June 15.

As she was led from the dock, Procter, of Newcastle House, Barkerend, waved to a woman in the public gallery, who blew her a kiss.

The incident which led to Elliot’s death was reported to police at about 5.10pm on Saturday, October 21.

Attempts were made to save the toddler who, witnesses said, was naked as he fell on to the cobbled area outside the flats.

Despite the efforts of people at the flats, police said it was quickly apparent that the young boy had passed away.

At the time, one eyewitness, Danuta Tomaszewicz, 59, said she first thought what she was saw was a doll.

Her niece Monika Tomaszewicz said: “She realised it was a real baby when she saw he was trying to catch his breath and his belly was moving.

Her husband and his friend ran down and, as they waited for an ambulance, tried to comfort the boy, holding his head and talking to him.

Tributes left outside the flats at the time read: “RIP little Elliot. You grew your angel wings far too soon. You have touched the hearts of many so play with the rest of the little angels.”

Another note said: “Rest in peace little man, sweet dreams.”


A third said: “RIP little Elliot, you have been taken away too soon before your life had hardly begun. May you rest in eternal peace little one.”

The solicitor representing Procter during the first hearing at Bradford and Keighley Magistrates’ Court last year applied for normal reporting restrictions to be partially lifted, in order that an appeal for information could be made.

Sajad Chaudhary asked for people to come forward with information or footage of “behaviour” in the Newcastle House block in the days leading up to Elliot’s death.

The date of yesterday’s hearing was originally put back by a week so as not to coincide with what would have been Elliot’s second birthday.