A SACKED brewery worker who smashed his former boss’ laptop with a rock and threatened another ex-colleague at knifepoint has been spared jail.

Bradford Crown Court heard that Aaron Robinson, 24, had been dismissed from his job at Saltaire Brewery following an “incident” at the company’s Christmas party in 2016.

Prosecutor Clare Walsh said Robinson still harboured ill-feelings towards the firm when he returned to their base on Dockfield Road in Shipley on the afternoon of July 20 last year.

The brewery’s managing director, Ewen Gordon, was holding a meeting with staff when he received a call that Robinson was on his way to the office.

The court heard that he burst in holding a rock, telling Mr Gordon “I’m coming for you” and making threats to kill him.

He was said to have “lunged” forward and used the rock to smash a £1,750 laptop on Mr Gordon’s desk.

Miss Walsh said Robinson shouted: “You have ruined my life, I am going to smash your head in.”

Despite being restrained by other staff, Robinson broke free and left the building, where outside he started swearing at two other former colleagues, Elliott Collett and Derek Todd.

He was seen to remove a Stanley knife from his trouser pocket and say to Mr Collett: “I’m going to stick you. I’m going to kill you, your kids aren’t going to have a dad left.”

Robinson was arrested the following day and told officers that he couldn’t remember much of the incident due to his mental state at the time.

Helen Chapman, defending, said a psychological report on Robinson had identified “a number of problems”, some linked to his “very troubled” personal background.

She said the defendant had no previous convictions or issues with drink or drugs, and was adamant he would not have carried out any of the threats he made.

Robinson, of Radcliffe Avenue, Bradford, admitted charges of affray, criminal damage, and the possession of a bladed article.

The Recorder of Bradford, Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC, said while he acknowledged Robinson’s “deep-seated” psychological problems, it was time for him to “get a grip” of his behaviour.

He told him: “You went to your old employers, you clearly had a grudge.

“You caused mayhem, you frightened people and probably angered them as well. You pulled out a Stanley knife, you knew that would have caused very real fear.

“Your victims aren’t being vindictive, but they are frightened about the future. Can I protect them by a restraining order, yes I can.”

Judge Durham Hall granted an indefinite restraining order banning any contact between Robinson and any victims in the case.

He imposed a 12-month jail term, suspended for two years, and ordered the defendant to complete 250 hours of unpaid work and pay £500 costs.