THIS is the shocking moment a man helped his teen pal escape a courtroom just minutes after he was sentenced - because they wanted to go play SNOOKER.

The dramatic video footage was released after Callum Finter, 21, was jailed for setting his 17-year-old mate on his road to freedom.

Bradford Crown Court witnessed the crafty footage of Finter pressing the button for an automatic door to fly open - leading his mate outside.

Finter's lawyers claimed the accomplice had triggered the button spontaneously - rather than a ploy to help his friend flee the court building in July last year.

The defendant, sporting a Burberry cap, was seen lurking close to the doors at Bradford Youth Court where the teen, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was being sentenced.

Finter told the court in his evidence the only plan that day was for the two friends "to go and play snooker" after the court hearing.

Judge David Hatton, QC, told Finter: "If there was not a pre-conceived plan I am entirely satisfied that you were anticipating that which in fact occurred."

Finter said that he was there to support his younger friend whose solicitor had suggested that he would be "coming out" - and not be jailed at the end of the hearing.

After four burly security guards enter through the same doors Finter is spotted on CCTV positioning himself close to the door's release catch.

When the teenager was then sentenced to 21 weeks in custody for the theft of a mobile phone - he pushes past the guards and flees out the door after Finter pressed the button.

Judge Hatton, who was sentencing in the case, said: "After your friend had run past you, you shouted something.

"I got the very clear impression from watching the CCTV back that you were encouraging him on his way.

"Escape from lawful custody is always regarded as a serious offence for understandable reasons - it follows that assisting someone to escape is also regarded, rightly, as a serious matter."

The teenager was on the run for two days, but after his arrest he was eventually sentenced to an extra six months detention for the escape when he later appeared at Kirklees Magistrates Court.

Finter, of Bradford, who pleaded guilty to aiding and abetting his friend's escape, was jailed for three months on Thursday (Feb 15).

Finter said he didn't know why he pressed the button adding: "It wasn't something I sat and thought about."