A DOG and a cat were rescued from a fire at a flat early this morning.

Shortly after midnight, fire crews from Bradford and Odsal Stations were called to Kettlewell Drive in the Canterbury area after reports of heavy smoke coming from a first floor window.

The occupant was out at a nearby shop at the time, but a pet cat and dog were still in the property and had to be rescued by fire crews.

It is thought the fire was caused by a faulty television set igniting surrounding fabrics.

The occupant returned to her flat to find firefighters tackling the blaze. They were at the scene for over three hours.

The incident left the flat badly damaged, and the occupant was offered a place to stay by friends.

The ground floor flat also suffered smoke and water damage, and the Red Cross has helped temporarily re-home the resident of that property.