The mother of a former Bradford student crushed while moving furniture in a service lift has said she is not happy with the outcome of his inquest after a jury ruled his death was accidental.

Liz Galbraith said her 20-year-old son Cyran Stewart did not die in a "freak accident that could not have been foreseen or prevented" despite the jury's verdict.

Mr Stewart, who became a full-time barman after quitting his computer science degree at the University of Bradford, was transporting eight heavy chairs in a lift at the Walkabout bar, in Swansea, where he worked when one of the chairs moved and crushed him against the inner wall.

The former student, who had overridden the lift's safety gate in order to get that many chairs in, was trapped for more than 31 minutes before firefighters were able to release him.

An inquest into his death at Swansea Coroner's Court heard Mr Stewart died in hospital four days after the incident at the venue in the early hours of February 24 2014.

On Wednesday a jury of five women and six men concluded that Mr Stewart's death was accidental.

Reading their conclusions, the jury foreman said: "At 3.18am on February 24 2014, Cyran Justin Stewart was transporting furniture in a goods service lift at Walkabout Swansea.

"As a result of loading eight chairs in the lift the safety gate could not be closed leading to Cyran overriding the safety mechanism of the inner door.

"Whilst the lift ascended, the leg of one of the upturned chairs caught on the ledge of the ground floor causing furniture to shift, crushing Cyran against the inner side wall of the lift.

"As a result of the injuries he sustained, Cyran later died in hospital in February 28 2014."

Speaking after the hearing Mrs Glabraith said she was not happy with the conclusion and would have preferred a narrative verdict.

The two-week inquest heard from several of Mr Stewart's colleagues who said they had also been trapped in the lift after it had stopped working but not while there was furniture inside.

Mrs Galbraith said these incidents should have been reported by management and supervisors but were not.

Her husband said: "It didn't just happen once, it happened numerous times and the others were lucky that they got away with it."

Mrs Galbraith added: "My boy, he was so brainy there is no way he did not have common sense, he just followed suit."

Other members of staff told jurors that a safety mechanism used to ensure the lift's internal door could be overridden and that a number of them did override it.

The inquest also heard a the lift doors could be opened in an emergency using a V-plate key but that this was missing at the time of the incident.

The hearing at Swansea's Civic Centre previously heard how the bar closed at 3am, and Mr Stewart, who worked at the venue full-time, was helping to clear up after the popular Carnage student night.

The alarm was raised after a colleague heard a scream and realised Mr Stewart was trapped.

Paramedics had to wait for firefighters to use equipment to open the lift doors and then for furniture to be removed from the space before they could start to treat Mr Stewart.

Mr Stewart's medical cause of death was given as hypoxic ischemic brain injury caused by pressure to the chest and abdomen in a traumatic asphyxiation.

The inquest heard Mr Stewart's older brother, Gavin, was deputy manager of the Walkabout but was not on duty at the time of the incident.

Mrs Galbraith added: "My son died as innocent as the day he was born, I will never see him get married or have children, I have been denied that pleasure.

"My life has been destroyed and the closeness of my family pulled apart."