A RUPTURED gas pipe is thought to have caused a house fire in Girlington last night.

Firefighters from Fairweather Green and Shipley were called to Washington Street at around 7.40pm.

A West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said a gas pipe under the floorboard had ruptured and had ignited, potentially as a result of gas pooling under the floor.

He said it was still under investigation, but there was not much damage to the property and nobody was injured.

Firefighters spent around an hour and a half at the scene and turned the gas off to let the fire burn itself out.