A HUSBAND-TO-BE accused of shooting a man outside his Bradford home has told a jury he was dismantling a stolen car at the time of the attack.

Jordan Barrett, 22, denies the attempted murder of Tyrone Khan in Parkway, West Bowling, Bradford, on May 20.

Bradford Crown Court has heard that Barrett shot Mr Khan in a row over his girlfriend, but his barrister, Abdul Iqbal QC, has said that the incident might have been the result of a long-running dispute with a gang called “the Leeds Road lot”.

Barrett denies the attempted murder of Mr Khan, an alternative offence of wounding with intent to do him grievous bodily harm, and the possession of a firearm and ammunition with intent to endanger life. He also denies charges of wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm against Mr Khan’s mother, Lesley Ann Howarth, and his stepfather, Mohammed Hassan.

Giving evidence yesterday, Barrett, of Pemberton Drive, Bradford, said he had known Mr Khan for a “couple of years”, describing him as “more of a person I know than a friend”.

He said they had spoken briefly near Horton Park in Bradford a “few days being prior to being locked up” in connection with the shooting.

Barrett said he had tried to speak to Mr Khan about an incident in which he had been attacked in a nightclub.

He said: “I knew about some lads who had jumped him in a nightclub. He was being off-putting. He didn’t want to have a conversation.”

Asked whether the name “the Leeds Road lot” meant anything to him, Barrett replied “no”, also stating he did not know Mr Khan’s mother or step-father.

On the night of the shooting, Barrett is accused of firing a shotgun at Mr Khan causing injuries to his shoulder, arm, and buttocks. After Mr Khan got into his house, Barrett is alleged to have fired point-blank at the front door and living room window.

Asked about his whereabouts at the time of the attack, Barrett said he had been working at a garage from around 10pm until 4am the next morning. He told the jury he was paid £600 to help dismantle the car, which was described as suspected of being stolen.


He said that after finishing the work, he went to his fiancee’s house in Buttershaw, arriving at around 4.15am.

Barrett answered no comment in his interview with police, but when Mr Iqbal asked him if he had recalled where he was at time of the shooting he said: “Yeah, but I didn’t want to disclose that. I were in shock. I didn’t know whether to say I was at the garage or not. I didn’t want to put my family at risk. I hadn’t done the shooting. I didn’t think it would get to this stage.”

The trial continues.