A MAN who inflicted fatal wounds on himself in his garden shed had asked just days before to be discharged from community mental health care so he could get on with his life, an inquest has heard.

Tony Janecki left five notes in the kitchen alerting his wife Elaine to what he had done the day he "died at his own hand" on September 29 last year.

The 63-year-old dad of two had locked himself in the shed where he kept his motorbike at home in Arnside Avenue, Riddlesden. His wife and her friend had to force open the shed door and found him lying face down in blood on the floor.

Bradford assistant coroner Oliver Longstaff heard how Mr Janecki, who worked as a car valeter at a garage in Keighley for two decades, had a history of depression and at the time of his death was under the mental health care of Bradford District Care Trust.

Two weeks before he inflicted the fatal neck, wrist and chest wounds on himself, he had tried to stab himself in the chest but had sought medical help and regretted his actions.

Community mental health nurse Michael Smith who visited Mr and Mrs Janecki at home on September 28 told the inquest in a statement that his client had come to the conclusion he just needed to get on with things.

Mr Smith said: “Tony felt we had done all we could and asked to be discharged. I said we could not do it straight away but he said he had no plans to harm himself, he was adamant. He said he would try to focus on the now. He felt he and his wife were trying to move on and make plans for the future. Constantly explaining how he was feeling was making him feel worse.”

Mr Smith had put his state down to money worries, problems with family members and feeling under pressure at work, the inquest was told.

Mr Janecki also told Mr Smith he did not like the pain from when he had previously stabbed himself and did not want to inflict any more pain on his wife.


Mr Janecki was pronounced dead in his garden by paramedics who tried to save him. He he had lost so much blood his life could not be supported, said Mr Longstaff, who concluded he had intentionally taken his own life.

Bradford District Care Trust carried out an investigation after his death but found there had been no problems with the care or service it delivered to Mr Janecki.

Mr Longstaff said it was clear no one else was involved in Mr Janecki’s death. He said: “He died at his own hand. Mr Janecki knew what he was going to do and that he knew it was going to cause a great deal of upset. He must have absolutely gone to a point that when someone reaches that stage of mind they reach a point where nobody can bring them back.”