GUISELEY Football Club has been hit by a suspected arson attack that badly damaged one of its buildings.

It was only the quick work of firefighters in containing the blaze that stopped the fire from spreading to the clubs changing rooms.

Crews from Shipley and Rawdon were called out to the club's Nethermoor Park ground, off Otley Road, at 9.30pm yesterday.

A member of the public called it in after seeing smoke coming from the roof.

When firefighters arrived they saw smoke coming from an office next to the turnstiles, with flames rising from the roof.

They worked quickly to contain the fire, which severely damaged that building and caused minor damage to the neighbouring changing rooms before they managed to put it out.

They had to remove the roof of the office building to stop it spreading.

It is being treated as a suspected arson.

The club is today dealing with smoke and water damage, and have cancelled two matches planned for this week.

Chris Hargreaves, watch commander for Shipley Fire Station, said: “Luckily we got there quickly and thanks to the actions of both crews we were able to stop the fire from spreading.

“The building was heavily smoke logged. We had it under control in about 20 minutes, but we stayed there for three hours, making the building safe.

“The fire had just started to catch the roofing of the changing rooms, but luckily we stopped it in time.”

Adie Towers, General Manager of Guiseley AFC, said: “The Football Club would like to thank the member of the public who alerted the emergency services and thank the fire service for their swift response to the incident, which prevented the fire spreading to the changing rooms and clubhouse and causing more extensive damage.

“We would also like to thank Richard McGrath, from our neighbours Guiseley Cricket Club for his assistance.

Guiseley Academy’s match against Hyde today has been postponed, as has the Guiseley Vixens women’s match against Hull City Ladies FC on Sunday.

Mr Towers added: “Guiseley AFC’s next home game in the Vanarama National League against Eastleigh on Saturday February 11 will go ahead – it will be business as usual.”

There was a seperate fire at Guiseley Primary School just a few hours later. 

Idle and Otley fire stations were called to the school, on Oxford Road, at 11.26pm.

The fire involved an outdoor storage area in the school grounds, storing fencing and cabinets.

That fire is also believed to have been started deliberately.

Councillor Paul Wadsworth (Con, Guiseley & Rawdon) said: “I am deeply concerned about news of this fire, particularly given that the police have confirmed it is a suspected arson.

“It is the latest in a number of fire incidents in the area recently, so I think it is right that we encourage members of the public to be vigilant and report anything suspicious.

“I am reassured that the police are treating it seriously, and wish them well with their investigation.”

Councillor Pat Latty (Con, Guiseley & Rawdon) added: “The football club is an important part of the local community so I am very sorry to hear about this fire and the damage that has been caused.

“We hope that the culprits will be apprehended soon and that the club can repair all the damage with minimal disruption.”