A WOMAN, whose Boy Scout brother was raped and strangled, is still seeking answers 40 years after his death.

Paul Kingsley, 11, vanished on his way to a scout meeting at the YMCA, a mile from his home in Cecil Avenue, Great Horton, Bradford, on November 11, 1976.

His body was found by plane spotters two days later in a ditch in Carlton Lane, near to Leeds-Bradford Airport.

Strangle marks were found on his neck and forensic tests showed he had been the victim of regular abuse.

Paul’s killer, Anthony George Sinclair, was jailed for seven years for manslaughter, after maintaining he did not intend to kill the youngster.

He served four years and four months and was released in January 1982.

Paul’s stepsister, Christine Reynolds, yesterday laid a wreath and left a photograph of her brother at the spot where his body was discovered, on the 40th anniversary of his death.

She said: “The pain of his loss is still raw. It’s sad and it is still very hard to stand at the spot where his body was found.

“The pain and the grief that everybody went through during those few days 40 years ago are still there.”

Mrs Reynolds said her mother, who died 30 years ago, never got over Paul’s death.

She said: “It hit her the hardest. She really struggled to come to terms with it. You had to see the pain on her face to appreciate what she went through. You wouldn’t want anybody to go through that.”

Mrs Reynolds added: “It is always harder when we get to this time of year. I had counselling for the first time last year. I needed to get things out and it did help.

“My twin brother, Jonathan, and I were seven at the time, but I can still remember that time clearly.

“People were coming and going the day that they found him. I can still see the face of the inspector as he came through the door.

“We understood quite a bit of what was happening. Mum had sat down and told us. It was on the local news and we were all watching it. It was unbelievable.

“The police were in and out of the house. There was no counselling in those days. You just got on with it.”

Paul’s disappearance triggered a massive police hunt until his body was found. Officers attended his funeral.

During the police investigation more than 6,500 people were interviewed, 3,263 statements taken and 2,473 cars were checked.

Sinclair, who was then 34, was caught after a breakthrough by forensic experts. Fibres found on Paul’s body were traced to a French car manufacturer and then to an importer in Derbyshire which made car carpets. The fibres matched those in the car which Sinclair had bought.

Sinclair was convicted of manslaughter after telling the jury he had not meant to kill Paul and had pulled his scout tie to stop him getting out of the car.

But Mrs Reynolds said: “We were always disappointed it was manslaughter and not murder. I still have a lot of questions that remain unanswered about what happened to Paul.

“My brother and I are even closer since our dad died in 2010. We talk a lot. It has made me stronger and more resilient, and very determined to get a final answer to everything. I want to know the ins and outs. Maybe someone out there has the answers and 40 years on is prepared to give them.”

Mrs Reynolds, 47, and her brother, Jonathan Spence, have now contacted police about alleged abuse Jonathan was subjected to 40 years ago in Bradford - not by Sinclair.

He reported it to the Metropolitan Police, who have passed a file to West Yorkshire Police to investigate.

Mrs Reynolds said: “I fear there were people abusing children and there are victims out there. I would say to people in Bradford that if you have any information, or you were a victim, get in touch with the police and get the help that you will need. If they do, it is possible we may get some of the answers that we need.”

She added: “I remember Paul playing football in the park, wearing his Leeds United strip, having fun. Our loss is as great as it was 40 years ago.”