RESIDENTS have spoken of their fears after two family homes on quiet residential streets were targeted by gunmen, as a second man was arrested last night. 

No-one was injured in the shootings, which happened within a few minutes in Windhill, Shipley, but damage was caused.

One woman, living close to one of the incidents, said she would be going away for a few days and then looking to move out of the area because she was scared.

Police are hunting two masked men on a motorbike after shots were fired in Marlott Road and West Royd Avenue, which are only a few hundred yards apart.

Detectives are linking the shootings.

A 35-year-old Dewsbury man was arrested last night on suspicion of possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.

A second man, a 28-year-old from Shipley, was arrested yesterday on the same charge.

A West Yorkshire Police spokesman confirmed the arrests and both remain in police custody today with investigations continuing. 

Both scenes were under police guard yesterday, with a 50 yard section of West Royd Avenue cordoned off at both ends. Inside the cordon was a pebbledash end terraced house with the front window and glass panel above the front door boarded up. Shattered glass could be seen in front of the window, next to a number of children’s toys.

A neighbour said she had been in bed on Tuesday evening when she heard two bangs.

She said: “I thought it was fireworks but now I know it was gunfire by some people on a bike.

“I feel scared. I have sent my son to stay with his dad and I am going to go away for a few days.”

The woman, who was too frightened to be identified, said there had been another incident on Sunday night when windows at the house were put through.

She added: “It was nothing like this. It’s disgusting and scary. I have lived here for a couple of months and I wasn’t expecting anything like this.

“A few people on the street have put in for a move away and I am going to do the same.

“Guns should not be tolerated. It’s very worrying there are so many about.

“We need to have more police officers walking the streets. It would be reassuring. It would make me feel safer if there were more police patrolling.”

Marlott Road, a quiet cul-de-sac of neat semi-detached houses, was also guarded by two police officers. The end house, next to Leeds Road, was cordoned off by blue and white police tape.

Gunshot damage could be seen on the frame above the front door. The curtains were drawn and a toy could be seen on the sill of an upstairs bedroom window.

One neighbour said: “I heard what sounded like a gunshot last night but I didn’t believe it could be because this is such a quiet street.

“I looked out of the window and couldn’t see anything and thought it was maybe fireworks. I was surprised when I saw the police there.”

The neighbour, who did not want to be identified, said a family with children lived at the targeted house.

She said: “We don’t know them. People say hello to them but they don’t reply.

“You don’t expect something like this here. Most of the people living here are older, retired people or families.”

Another resident said there had been an incident two months previously when the occupants of the same house had a van windscreen smashed.

He said: “It’s concerning. You don’t often get a gun being fired within 50 yards of your home. Gun crime seems to be on the increase, they seem to be readily available. There isn’t an obvious answer to it.”

Councillor Vanda Greenwood (Lab, Windhill and Wrose) attempted to calm residents’ fears.

She said: “Such incidents are very rare in Windhill and I’d like to reassure residents that the police are prioritising this case to make sure the culprits are caught as soon as possible.”

The shots were fired at about 10pm on Tuesday. Police want to speak to anyone who saw two men, believed with their faces covered, acting suspiciously on a motorbike in the area.

Anyone with information should contact the Homicide and Major Enquiry Team, via 101, quoting log 1872 of August 30.

* This week, Masih Ullah, 34, was jailed for 18 years at Bradford Crown Court for minding a criminals’ arsenal of lethal weapons, including a replica Uzi sub-machine gun.