SUN worshippers of all ages, in particular youngsters, made full use of Lister Park Lido during the school holidays, as the picture, taken in 1969, shows. The open-air pool, first opened just over a century ago in 1915, was very popular in the early years, attracting many people especially in hot weather.

The ‘Open Air Swimming Bath’ as it was known, was 150 feet long by 60 feet wide, with a depth of three feet, four inches at the shallow end and six feet ten inches at the deep end.

Accessed by six separate flights of steps, it had a diving stage at the deep end to enable competitions to take place. There was also a spring diving-board fixed to the gangway.

Dressing boxes and sheds could accommodate 70 people, were arranged on each side of the pool, with two dressing rooms to be used by swimming clubs for gala performances.

Spittoons were arranged around the pool for people to use if they got pool water in their mouths while swimming.

Adjoining the entrance hall, was a small cafe with a projecting balcony from which spectators could see the entire pool. Other balconies, on either side of the café, also offered good views.

Seating was available for 480 people for swimming exhibitions or gala performances, with an additional 560 to be seated on balconies and room for 1,000 people standing.

In the 1930’s there was a marked decline in the popularity of the pool, the reason being that it did not comply with the standards of hygiene demanded by modern swimmers. Cold and unfiltered water, inadequate dressing accommodation and other issues all contributed towards this end.

It became obvious that something more up-to-date should be provided to meet the needs of the ever-increasing number of swimming enthusiasts.

The city council, acting on the recommendation of the baths committee decided to carry out a scheme of modernisation. This took place in 1937.

A filtration, sterilisation and heating plant has was installed, capable of treating the entire contents of the pools in a six hour period thus ensuring, at all times, water having a high standard of purity and maintained at a temperature of approximately 70 degrees fahrenheit.

Surrounding the new, large swimming pool was a raised terrace on which sunbathers could recline and to the rear of this were seats, arranged in tiers, for spectators, provision being made for the latter to obtain shelter during inclement weather. A spacious cafe with glass-fronted lounges was an added amenity. The new look lido was officially opened in May 1939.

But, after a string of poor summers and falling attendances, it fell into disrepair. By 1982, it needed £60,000 spending on it. The baths closed the following year. Neglect and vandalism then took its toll on these once attractive buildings and the derelict facility was eventually demolished in 1991.