A BRADFORD man who fell from a window of his top floor flat was under influence of a legal high at the time of his death, an inquest has heard.

Leroy Vanzie, 32, of Corban Street, Dudley Hill, died from a severe head injury suffered in the fall on July 21 last year.

Yesterday’s inquest heard from Harry Hamlin, a friend of the former model and actor, they had taken a legal high, a synthetic version of LSD, at Mr Vanzie’s flat that day.

Mr Hamlin said he purchased the drugs from a website. The package was delivered to the home of Mr Vanzie’s mother, where he was staying, by Royal Mail, and contained ten ‘tabs.’ He said they took two tabs.

Questioned by Assistant Coroner Mary Burke, he denied forcing his friend to take the drug against his will and denied forcing or pushing him out of the window while under the influence of drugs.

He said they sat on the sofa and watched a film until Mr Vanzie switched off the television. Mr Hamlin said his friend got up and opened the blinds so he could see out of the window.

“He was looking out at traffic on Dudley Hill roundabout. He made a paranoid comment that the people in the cars were looking at him.”

He said when taking drugs Leroy could become paranoid and think people were plotting against him and on one occasion had asked a friend to look for cameras and microphones in his attic.

Mr Hamlyn told the inquest he had left Mr Vanzie’s flat because he started to feel uncomfortable.

He said Mr Vanzie kept calling him back, but in the end he left leaving his friend sitting on the sofa near to the window. He was fully clothed but had his head in his hands and seemed sad.


Another friend, Bradley Smith, who flagged down police after finding Mr Vanzie lying on the pavement, denied entering Mr Vanzie’s flat that evening or being party to Mr Vanzie being pushed out of his window.

He told the inquest they had a volatile relationship but he “cared a lot for Leroy.”

Detective Sergeant Simon Leek, of West Yorkshire Police, told the inquest he did not believe any third party was involved in Mr Vanzie’s death.

Summing up to give a narrative verdict, Ms Burke said all proper police enquiries had been made and there was no evidence to suggest either Mr Smith or Mr Hamlin had been in the flat at the time he fell.

Neither was there evidence Mr Vanzie had been forced or thrown out of the window, she said.

“Although I heard evidence Leroy was in a low mood and that he was on anti-depressants I’m not satisfied that he undertook a deliberate act with the intention to end his own life.

“Leroy Vanzie died on July 21, 2015 at Leeds General Infirmary as a result of suffering a severe head injury after falling from a second floor window of his flat under the influence of 1PLSD, a legal high at the time of his death,” she said.