A STRESSED Bradford businessman who threw himself off Britain's highest viaduct was on an NHS waiting list for psychiatric help, an inquest has heard.

The body of 48-year-old dad-of-three Gary Peel was discovered by a dog walker on June 29 this year, under the 123ft high Hewenden Viaduct, not far from where he lived with his family in Pasture Lane, Clayton.

Mr Peel had a long history of anxiety and depression triggered it seemed, said coroner Martin Fleming, by work-related stress at a spring making business off Ingleby Road in Girlington, founded by his grandfather in the 1940s.

Yesterday's inquest heard Mr Peel, who had been waiting to see a psychiatrist and had considered going private to speed up the process of getting help, had stopped taking anti-depressants because they made him feel suicidal. He had taken an overdose earlier in the year.

His GP had not thought he was an immediate risk to himself because he had not admitted having any dark thoughts about ending his life or self-harming despite talking about his low-mood and running the gauntlet at work which were stopping his sleep.

Coroner Mr Fleming said there was no evidence of personal pressure being put on him at work but Mr Peel simply wanted to do his best.

"He wanted to do the very best he could for the firm he worked for but things were getting on top of him," he said.

The day of Mr Peel's death, he had been out for a walk and been trimming hedges at home with his eldest son Callum, 20. He had told his son he was worried about work the next week because his partner was going to be away. He also told Callum he would be alright and that his second eldest son would also be okay because he had a job.

It was only after police called at the family home to tell them Mr Peel's body had been found, that Callum realised the importance of what his father had been saying, the inquest heard.

Mr Peel had left his son in the garden with his headphones on and had driven to the viaduct, locking his car before walking up to the viaduct and propelling himself off it - his body was found 12ft away from its base.

A serious untoward incident investigation carried out by Bradford District Care Trust found there was nothing in its limited involvement with Mr Peel that may have caused or contributed to his death.

"Gary didn't leave any notes. He had the greatest support from his family. His death was a shock to all who knew him, including his doctors," said Mr Fleming, who returned a narrative conclusion that Mr Peel took his own life while suffering from anxiety and depression.

Speaking after the inquest, Mr Peel's mother Evelyn said her son had tried to get professional help but added: "He could not wait."