A ROAD was closed for more than two hours after a blaze destroyed a van containing paint, leaving the highway covered in oil and molten plastic.

Fire crews from Otley and Rawdon stations were called to deal with the blaze which engulfed a Dulux Ford Transit van in Bingley Road, Menston, at 3.30pm today.

The van driver had tried to tackle the blaze with an extinguisher but had been unable to put it out.

A West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said the fire was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

As the flames took hold, the van rolled backwards from a lay-by and into bushes.

Nobody was injured in the incident.

The Highways Agency was called to clean up the road.