A MAN who fell 60ft from his high-rise home could have been attention-seeking after seeing his 15-year-old girlfriend dance with another man at an all-night party, an inquest heard.

Maurice Tretton, 20, who had been drinking vodka and taking cocaine before the fatal fall on January 18 this year, could have been "creating a dramatic situation" from which he expected to be rescued, said assistant Bradford coroner Oliver Longstaff yesterday.

Mr Tretton, who had a history of threatening to take his own life which included climbing out of windows when people were there to stop him, had only recently moved into his sixth floor flat at Adelaide House in Crosley Wood Road, Bingley.

On the night of the death, a party had started at Mr Tretton's home, but had moved to a neighbour's flat because it had louder speakers, the Bradford inquest heard.

Mr Tretton, known as Moz, became jealous when he saw his girlfriend dancing with someone else. There was an altercation and the two men had to be separated before Mr Tretton left of his own accord to return home.

Shortly afterwards, his girlfriend and another girl followed him but found him already out of his front room window hanging onto the window ledge.

They both grabbed his arms but could not pull him back in and he fell.

Evidence from the girls described how he had asked them to pull him back in.

In evidence, read out in the court, his girlfriend said: "I know he didn't mean it but he just went too far."

Despite efforts to revive him by members of the public and paramedics, he died at the scene from injuries that included haemorrhage and skull fractures.

Detective Constable Michael Ineson, from Bradford Reactive CID, said police were satisfied after a full investigation that there were no suspicious circumstances.

However, Mr Tretton's family said they did have concerns that some of the witnesses' evidence was conflicting and that the man he rowed with had never been interviewed by police, despite officers being told by the family they had later received messages from him saying he was also in the flat when Mr Tretton fell and that he had had hold of him.

Before concluding Mr Tretton's death had been an accident, Mr Longstaff said: "It's significant to me that having got himself out of the window, he stayed there. If he wanted to harm himself there was time for him to do so.

"I think what was happening was a repeat of a behaviour pattern, seeking attention, creating a dramatic situation and wanting and expecting to be rescued from it. This occasion was more extreme, more perilous than the others - his judgement may well have been clouded by drink and cocaine.

"I'm far from satisfied he wanted to harm himself that night and when he fell it was simply because those who were there were not able to help him further."

Speaking after the inquest Mr Tretton's mother Mandy Benson, said her son was much-loved by all his family and everyone in the Braithwaite area of Keighley, where he had lived previously .

"He was just getting his life on track with a new flat, his real girlfriend was having his baby and he was excited about becoming a dad."

The family also praised Bradford's Motor Education Project for the help it had given him to turn round a former life and make a new start.

"He wanted to be a millionaire," said Mrs Benson.