A young mother has been jailed for four years for savagely biting a chunk off a woman’s ear in a row over the choice of music at a pub disco.

Sophia Blackburn, 24, disfigured Stacey Wilkinson for life when she clamped her teeth in her left ear while pinning her on the ground in the Horse and Groom in Wibsey, Bradford, on May 25 last year.

Part of Blackburn’s tooth was found sticking in Miss Wilkinson’s left ear and her thumbnail was bitten away in the attack.

Blackburn, of Torre Road, Horton Bank Top, Bradford, was convicted by a jury at Bradford Crown Court last month of wounding Miss Wilkinson with intent to cause her grievous bodily harm.

Jason Johnson, 24, formerly of Torre Road but now living at another address in the city, pleaded guilty to affray and was sentenced to nine months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years, with supervision and a four-month curfew.

Blackburn, the mother of a three-year-old son, flew into a rage when she did not get her choice of dance music, Bradford Crown Court heard yesterday.

She punched Miss Wilkinson to the floor, got on top of her and sank her teeth into her ear. She bit half of it off and spat it out before leaving the pub.

“You have shown no real regard or consideration for the evil you perpetuated that night,” Judge Robert Bartfield told her.

Miss Wilkinson was left with a deformed ear needing further surgery.

“This is a terrible disfigurement for a woman,” the judge said.

Prosecutor Andrew Kershaw said Blackburn had a conviction for battery and a reprimand for assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

He read from a victim impact statement by Miss Wilkinson in which she spoke of the fear, paranoia, loss of sleep and anxiety she had suffered since the attack, which left her needing 35 stitches. She had given up her job in a nursing home because she no longer wanted to wear her hair up and she was shy and anxious in her social life because she felt disfigured.

In mitigation, Blackburn’s barrister, Tina Landale, said it was a spontaneous assault in drink and her client was shocked by the consequences.

After the case, Detective Constable Ailsa Jones said: “This was a shocking attack which has left the victim scarred for life. We hope the sentence handed down today will help to give her and her family some closure.”