A 24-year-old man was told he faced a significant jail sentence after a jury convicted him of armed robbery.

Sajid Hussain was one of three masked men who robbed a terrified couple at gunpoint of £5,000 after they were lured 600 miles to Bradford to buy an Audi A4 Quattro car advertised on the internet.

Hussain, of Cunliffe Villas, Manningham, Bradford, was found guilty by a jury at Bradford Crown Court of robbing Louise Cogle, 36, and Michael Irving, and a further charge of possessing a firearm or imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.

After the verdicts it was revealed Hussain was awaiting sentence for 11 counts of supplying heroin and cocaine, after being caught in West Yorkshire Police’s Operation Stalebank.

He will be sentenced next week, with Shahid Sadik, of Toller Lane, Bradford, who had pleaded guilty to being one of the robbers.

The third man is still to be traced.

Hussain, who denied the charges, shook his head as the guilty verdicts were returned.

Judge John Potter remanded Hussain in custody until sentencing on Wednesday and told him: “You have been convicted of a serious armed robbery, involving the use of a firearm or imitation firearm.

“You also fall to be sentenced for dealing in class A drugs.

“On any view you must expect to receive a significant custodial sentence.”

The trial heard Mr Irving and Miss Cogle, who live in the Shetland Islands off the north-east coast of Scotland, were waylaid by three masked men in Park Drive, Heaton, Bradford, at noon on Saturday, August 10.

The robbers, armed with a handgun and a plank of wood, seized a red suitcase containing cash for a white Audi A4 Quattro the pair were hoping to buy.

Miss Cogle told the court the men appeared from a driveway and ran at them shouting: “I am going to take the bag. I am going to shoot you.”

She said Mr Irving was holding the case and the weapon was pointed at his face.

Mr Irving told how he froze when three men in black balaclava masks suddenly ran at him.

Hussain denied joining with others to rob the couple of £5,000 in money and two passports, and claimed he was not at the scene.