A 52-year-old Bradford businessman used his mobile phone to film himself sexually abusing a young woman in a motel room after grooming her on a social network site.

Husaini Master also raped another woman he met online and photographed her as she lay asleep and naked on a bed after the attack.

Both victims later complained of ‘passing out’ after drinking alcohol and told police they believed their drinks had been ‘spiked’.

The two victims – from County Durham and Shropshire – were among at least 30 vulnerable and troubled young women across the country the defendant regularly ‘chatted’ with online.

At Birmingham Crown Court yesterday Master was jailed for a total of six and a half years and will be the subject of sexual offences prevention order for an indefinite period.

Judge Peter Barrie said Master had been involved in a long course of abusive behaviour and involved sexual abuse that was despicable.

He said both victims felt they had been drugged and described feeling unwell, dizzy and extremely sleepy and that Master had “revelled” in filming and photographing the women when they were unclothed and asleep.

“While tests did not reveal any drugs, I am sure that you found a way to put something in the drinks to make them insensible for you to abuse them sexually” said Judge Barrie.

He said Master was involved in a carefully planned course of conduct, befriending the women, even giving money to one of them for her to repair her computer.

Master, of Sandymoor, Allerton, Bradford, who has a food import business, was convicted of rape and two other sexual offences last month.

The prosecution said West Mercia police found material on Master’s mobile phone and computer after a complaint from the 28-year-old Shropshire victim.

He said the 21-year-old woman in County Durham, who until then was unaware that she was the victim of sexual abuse, was identified and contacted by the police.

During the trial the jury heard Master had travelled to Stockton-on-Tees in September, 2011, to meet the younger victim and took her to a service area on the A19 at Billingham.

He paid cash for a room at a Premier Inn where he filmed himself sexually abusing the victim which was played for the jury.

A few months later, in January last year, Master drove to Telford to meet the second victim who was aged 28.

Again he paid cash for a room at a Premier Inn telling the young woman there was to be a party for the victim’s birthday. However, there were no other guests and the victim drank vodka and Red Bull before twice being sexually assaulted by Master, who took photographs of her when she was being sick and when naked and asleep.

Master, clutching a religious book as he gave evidence, told the jury he was a devout Muslim from a traditional Indian family who had been married for 30 years.

He denied he been grooming the victims and claimed any sexual activity was consensual, but could give no reason for the filming or taking of photographs.

Simon Mills, mitigating for Master, said that his client and his wife had recently been through an Islamic divorce and he had been shunned by members of his community.

The case emerged from inquiries during Operation Chalice – an extensive investigation by West Mercia police into the sexual exploitation of teenage girls in Shropshire, which led to seven Telford men being convicted and jailed.

After today’s hearing Detective Inspector Mike Nally, of Telford CID, praised the victims for their dignity, bravery and determination during the inquiry and when giving evidence.