Vanarama National League: Woking 2 Guiseley 3

A FIRST league victory over Woking took Guiseley out of the relegation places in the Vanarama National League as the Lions continue their resurgence under Paul Cox.

The new manager has brought players in and driven the move to becoming a full-time club, and he is beginning to see the fruits of his labour.

The victory means that Guiseley can take the feel-good factor with them through their free midweek and into next Sunday's Emirates FA Cup first-round home tie against Sky Bet League Two visitors Accrington Stanley.

Cox was delighted with the three points after his side had come back from a goal down and been pegged back from 2-1 up before Mike Fondrop’s winning goal just over 15 minutes from time.

The Lions boss said: “This is why you want to be involved in football.

“It was tempestuous, it was proper football and it was end to end. It was like a cup game, and I’d have enjoyed it even if we hadn’t got the result because of the tenacity, the desire to try to go and win a game, and at a club that’s had a really good start to the season and are flying high in the division.

"We were brave, but once again there are things we can improve on. The first goal was sloppy, and the second goal was really, really sloppy.

“I just keep saying to the lads that I think we’ve got goals in the side now and I think we could have had more.

"The header from Kay (Kayode Odejayi) – if that’s on target it’s a goal, but we’ve got to cut out the little mistakes.

“I just wish, for the blood pressure, that we could be a bit smarter.”

The Cards took the lead at the Laithwaite Community Stadium when Declan Appau fired a thunderous shot on the turn into the top corner from just outside the area.

The Lions levelled soon after the half-hour mark when Rowan Liburd netted the first of a brace.

Liburd latched onto a Darren Holden long throw-in and drilled a shot from an acute angle past Woking keeper Nathan Baxter.

Just four minutes into the second half, the Lions striker profited from a loose pass by the home defence to fire in by the near post.

The Cards hit the bar soon after and levelled in the 65th minute through Regan Charles-Cook, who is on loan from Charton Athletic, but Guiseley had the last say as Fondop’s left-footed strike won the game.

Cox added: “We’ll give them a few days off now because we’re going into a huge game for the whole of the football club, and we’ll see if we can cause an upset on Sunday.

“We’ll come in on Tuesday and we’ll be in a really good frame of mind to go and attack a big FA Cup tie.”