Mark helped save Bradford City FC 30 years ago

First published in Capital One Cup Final – Bradford City v Swansea
Last updated
Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , T&A Reporter

A Bradford City fan who handed over a large chunk of his weekly wage to help the club when it was in crisis in 1983 will fly from his Australia home to be at the Capital One Cup Final at Wembley.

Life-long supporter Mark Jagger, 48, was second in line to pledge £20 of his £35 apprentice wage to the Save City Fund 30 years ago.

He featured in the Telegraph & Argus making his donation to the late ‘Mrs Bradford City’ Gladys Hannah, on August 8, 1983.

At the time the club was facing an anxious wait to find out whether it had been accepted back into the Football League after a long, tortuous battle to save it from extinction, which saw fans raise more than £55,000 to help pay its debts.

And the dad-of-two, who moved to Sydney from Eccleshill in 2003, is pledging his support again, spending 3,000 Australian dollars for a ten-day trip to watch Phil Parkinson’s men take on Swansea in the final on Sunday, February 24.

He said: “It’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing and there was no doubt in my mind that I had to come back for Wembley.

“It may not happen again in my lifetime and, whatever happens, it’s win-win.”

Mr Jagger has a long connection with the club. He was a general manager for former Bradford firm DPM Fabrications, which worked on safety barriers and staircases when the City’s Midland Road and Bradford End stands were built.

He still has a copy of the T&A article from when he went to Valley Parade to make his pledge.

“I was a teenager, living with my parents and got paid £35 a week as an apprentice,” he said. “I used to pay my parents £10-£15 a week board and gave the remaining £20 to the club.

“I wanted to do what I could to give my support. I still have the receipt now.”

The landscape gardener, who grew up in Tyersal, will fly to the UK on Wednesday, February 20, and hoped a friend would get him a ticket for the match when they went on sale today.

“We can’t lose now – we’ve got to the final and that’s it,” said Mr Jagger.

“Everybody’s going to enjoy themselves and we were never expected to get this far.

“I can’t wait!”

Comments (41)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:05am Mon 4 Feb 13

bettyswollocks says...

I know of a few fans who are making the trip over from Australia for the final.

A friend of mine is putting off building his swimming pool to come but like I said, it could be another 102 years before we get to another cup final, he can build his pool next year!
I know of a few fans who are making the trip over from Australia for the final. A friend of mine is putting off building his swimming pool to come but like I said, it could be another 102 years before we get to another cup final, he can build his pool next year! bettyswollocks
  • Score: 0

9:20am Mon 4 Feb 13

macca1969 says...

Good on him I for one hope he secures a ticket
Good on him I for one hope he secures a ticket macca1969
  • Score: 0

9:42am Mon 4 Feb 13

Cityboy78 says...

I see Swansea have been given more tickets by the FA. Anyone heard owt about us getting more?
I see Swansea have been given more tickets by the FA. Anyone heard owt about us getting more? Cityboy78
  • Score: 0

9:56am Mon 4 Feb 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

It's nice to see people like this make the effort to get across.

My main question would be why after selling 30k tickets in less than a week why many in Bradford can't make the couple of mile trip to VP more often and good times like this might be more frequent.

Watch the same old 10k turn up next week against Gillingham, only to suddenly have 35k follow us down to Wembley 2 weeks later.
It's nice to see people like this make the effort to get across. My main question would be why after selling 30k tickets in less than a week why many in Bradford can't make the couple of mile trip to VP more often and good times like this might be more frequent. Watch the same old 10k turn up next week against Gillingham, only to suddenly have 35k follow us down to Wembley 2 weeks later. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 0

10:14am Mon 4 Feb 13

OdsalMan says...

I have the ticket for mr Jagger !
I have the ticket for mr Jagger ! OdsalMan
  • Score: 0

10:26am Mon 4 Feb 13

Freddy says...

*
OdsalMan says...
10:14am Mon 4 Feb 13

I have the ticket for Mr Jagger !
*
WELL DONE --SIR !!!!!!.
*
I was about to ensure his ticket.

There are those Supporters travelling from Russia,Florida, Oz.,Europe etc.
*
Dependant upon the total number of lifetime Supporters, travelling from ALL over the world.
I would like to have seen The Club ensure, they secure a Ticket.
*
I have no doubt ALL the 'Hangers-On '
will get Tickets.
They will be for sale on 'E-Bay'--and by 'TOUTS '- on Wembley Way.
*
If City can secure extra Tickets--They should be completely reserved, for The World Supporters travelling to UK.
*
* OdsalMan says... 10:14am Mon 4 Feb 13 I have the ticket for Mr Jagger ! * WELL DONE --SIR !!!!!!. * I was about to ensure his ticket. There are those Supporters travelling from Russia,Florida, Oz.,Europe etc. * Dependant upon the total number of lifetime Supporters, travelling from ALL over the world. I would like to have seen The Club ensure, they secure a Ticket. * I have no doubt ALL the 'Hangers-On ' will get Tickets. They will be for sale on 'E-Bay'--and by 'TOUTS '- on Wembley Way. * If City can secure extra Tickets--They should be completely reserved, for The World Supporters travelling to UK. * Freddy
  • Score: 0

10:43am Mon 4 Feb 13

Glenn Owens says...

I was born in Bradford in 1960 and now live in Melbourne, Australia.
I am a lifetime City supporter. I attended my first game at home to Port Vale in 1970 and went to hundreds of games during the seventies. I have been to many home and away games whenever I have been in England – most recently in January 2010.
I have booked/paid for airline tickets for my son and I to travel from Melbourne to London for the Cup Final on Sunday 24 February. We arrive in London on Friday and fly back to Melbourne on Tuesday.
As soon as the tickets become available to the general public on 13 February I will be on-line to buy our tickets. Glenn.
I was born in Bradford in 1960 and now live in Melbourne, Australia. I am a lifetime City supporter. I attended my first game at home to Port Vale in 1970 and went to hundreds of games during the seventies. I have been to many home and away games whenever I have been in England – most recently in January 2010. I have booked/paid for airline tickets for my son and I to travel from Melbourne to London for the Cup Final on Sunday 24 February. We arrive in London on Friday and fly back to Melbourne on Tuesday. As soon as the tickets become available to the general public on 13 February I will be on-line to buy our tickets. Glenn. Glenn Owens
  • Score: 0

11:25am Mon 4 Feb 13

BigFigure says...

Good luck with that, Glenn....tickets will be in very short supply once on general sale
Good luck with that, Glenn....tickets will be in very short supply once on general sale BigFigure
  • Score: 0

11:28am Mon 4 Feb 13

TheCoach says...

Glenn Owens wrote:
I was born in Bradford in 1960 and now live in Melbourne, Australia. I am a lifetime City supporter. I attended my first game at home to Port Vale in 1970 and went to hundreds of games during the seventies. I have been to many home and away games whenever I have been in England – most recently in January 2010. I have booked/paid for airline tickets for my son and I to travel from Melbourne to London for the Cup Final on Sunday 24 February. We arrive in London on Friday and fly back to Melbourne on Tuesday. As soon as the tickets become available to the general public on 13 February I will be on-line to buy our tickets. Glenn.
SOMEBODY GET THIS MAN HIS TICKETS!! - I CAN'T UNFORTUNATELY BUT THERE MUST BE SOMEONE WHO CAN DO THIS FOR HIM RATHER THAN TRYING TO MAKE A FAST BUCK ON EBAY OR FLOGGING THEM TO LXXDS OR BURNLEY SCUM!!
[quote][p][bold]Glenn Owens[/bold] wrote: I was born in Bradford in 1960 and now live in Melbourne, Australia. I am a lifetime City supporter. I attended my first game at home to Port Vale in 1970 and went to hundreds of games during the seventies. I have been to many home and away games whenever I have been in England – most recently in January 2010. I have booked/paid for airline tickets for my son and I to travel from Melbourne to London for the Cup Final on Sunday 24 February. We arrive in London on Friday and fly back to Melbourne on Tuesday. As soon as the tickets become available to the general public on 13 February I will be on-line to buy our tickets. Glenn.[/p][/quote]SOMEBODY GET THIS MAN HIS TICKETS!! - I CAN'T UNFORTUNATELY BUT THERE MUST BE SOMEONE WHO CAN DO THIS FOR HIM RATHER THAN TRYING TO MAKE A FAST BUCK ON EBAY OR FLOGGING THEM TO LXXDS OR BURNLEY SCUM!! TheCoach
  • Score: 0

12:25pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Cityboy78 says...

I live on the Pacific island of Samoa however i do not have enough gold coins to buy a ticket onto a big metal bird to fly to the Great England for the amazing match at Wimbledon between the Broadford and Swimsea, so i will have to row on my canoe. The trouble is i only have one arm so it may take a while, so i am setting off tomorrow. If anyone can get me a ticket, i will be on Wimbledon Way in my grass skirt. I know, as it has been pointed out by so many, that i should have a ST or Flixible Card, and without one, i am merely a two bit glory seekin hanger on, but i promise, i will bow down to your superior feet forever and even take you home via Hull and the Leeds canal if you would take pity on my worthless soul.
I live on the Pacific island of Samoa however i do not have enough gold coins to buy a ticket onto a big metal bird to fly to the Great England for the amazing match at Wimbledon between the Broadford and Swimsea, so i will have to row on my canoe. The trouble is i only have one arm so it may take a while, so i am setting off tomorrow. If anyone can get me a ticket, i will be on Wimbledon Way in my grass skirt. I know, as it has been pointed out by so many, that i should have a ST or Flixible Card, and without one, i am merely a two bit glory seekin hanger on, but i promise, i will bow down to your superior feet forever and even take you home via Hull and the Leeds canal if you would take pity on my worthless soul. Cityboy78
  • Score: 0

12:49pm Mon 4 Feb 13

theoutsider says...

He gave what ? 20 quid ! ...geeze and to think of what us season ticket holders have put in over't years.

Bandwagon jumper comes to mind

Still somebodys come to his rescue ! but bound to feel a fraud when arrives at Wembley as a lot undoubtedly are !
He gave what ? 20 quid ! ...geeze and to think of what us season ticket holders have put in over't years. Bandwagon jumper comes to mind Still somebodys come to his rescue ! but bound to feel a fraud when arrives at Wembley as a lot undoubtedly are ! theoutsider
  • Score: 0

1:35pm Mon 4 Feb 13

bcfc1903 says...

theoutsider wrote:
He gave what ? 20 quid ! ...geeze and to think of what us season ticket holders have put in over't years.

Bandwagon jumper comes to mind

Still somebodys come to his rescue ! but bound to feel a fraud when arrives at Wembley as a lot undoubtedly are !
Reading your post...being physically sick comes to mind.
[quote][p][bold]theoutsider[/bold] wrote: He gave what ? 20 quid ! ...geeze and to think of what us season ticket holders have put in over't years. Bandwagon jumper comes to mind Still somebodys come to his rescue ! but bound to feel a fraud when arrives at Wembley as a lot undoubtedly are ![/p][/quote]Reading your post...being physically sick comes to mind. bcfc1903
  • Score: 0

1:39pm Mon 4 Feb 13

DAD18@SKY.COM says...

yes it was a lovely gesture my son earns £170 a week and he goes to all home games with my grandson he went to both villa games and arsenel and wigan but unfortunalty he has to wait to see if he can get wembley tickets cause hes not a season ticket holder and his storys not sad enough its all been done wrong good luck city anyway
yes it was a lovely gesture my son earns £170 a week and he goes to all home games with my grandson he went to both villa games and arsenel and wigan but unfortunalty he has to wait to see if he can get wembley tickets cause hes not a season ticket holder and his storys not sad enough its all been done wrong good luck city anyway DAD18@SKY.COM
  • Score: 0

1:39pm Mon 4 Feb 13

bcfc1903 says...

Good luck Mark...you did the club proud in it's time of need, i also chucked in at the time, a weeks wage if i remember correctly.

**

We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Claret and Amber.
Good luck Mark...you did the club proud in it's time of need, i also chucked in at the time, a weeks wage if i remember correctly. ** We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Claret and Amber. bcfc1903
  • Score: 0

1:52pm Mon 4 Feb 13

seasidebantam says...

hi eveyone,many of yu willnow me from mypost's, i am livin in blackpool and go to a lot of the games icluding watford away and burton in the cup and 80% of the home games, i don't have a season tkt or flexi card, if anyone ou there has 2 spare tkts whatver price band i will buy them plus offer you a 2 night stay in blackpool at our hotlel on b&b

many thanks
seasdebantam
hi eveyone,many of yu willnow me from mypost's, i am livin in blackpool and go to a lot of the games icluding watford away and burton in the cup and 80% of the home games, i don't have a season tkt or flexi card, if anyone ou there has 2 spare tkts whatver price band i will buy them plus offer you a 2 night stay in blackpool at our hotlel on b&b many thanks seasdebantam seasidebantam
  • Score: 0

2:04pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

80% of homegame but don't have a flexicard or season ticket. Surely you know how stupid that looks when a flexicard paid itself back in only 5 games.

Then someone going to all home games but doesn't have a season ticket or flexicard.

Sob stories gallore. You only have one person to blame if you don't get tickets, yourself.
80% of homegame but don't have a flexicard or season ticket. Surely you know how stupid that looks when a flexicard paid itself back in only 5 games. Then someone going to all home games but doesn't have a season ticket or flexicard. Sob stories gallore. You only have one person to blame if you don't get tickets, yourself. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 0

2:19pm Mon 4 Feb 13

pollyperks67 says...

TheCoach wrote:
Glenn Owens wrote:
I was born in Bradford in 1960 and now live in Melbourne, Australia. I am a lifetime City supporter. I attended my first game at home to Port Vale in 1970 and went to hundreds of games during the seventies. I have been to many home and away games whenever I have been in England – most recently in January 2010. I have booked/paid for airline tickets for my son and I to travel from Melbourne to London for the Cup Final on Sunday 24 February. We arrive in London on Friday and fly back to Melbourne on Tuesday. As soon as the tickets become available to the general public on 13 February I will be on-line to buy our tickets. Glenn.
SOMEBODY GET THIS MAN HIS TICKETS!! - I CAN'T UNFORTUNATELY BUT THERE MUST BE SOMEONE WHO CAN DO THIS FOR HIM RATHER THAN TRYING TO MAKE A FAST BUCK ON EBAY OR FLOGGING THEM TO LXXDS OR BURNLEY SCUM!!
i got mine off a leeds fans there will be 6 of us 2 leeds fans and 4 city fans and i know a couple of town fans r going think rhodes and lawn giving 3 tickets per season ticket holder is bang on!!!!!!!!!good luck getting tickets glenn ctid
[quote][p][bold]TheCoach[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Glenn Owens[/bold] wrote: I was born in Bradford in 1960 and now live in Melbourne, Australia. I am a lifetime City supporter. I attended my first game at home to Port Vale in 1970 and went to hundreds of games during the seventies. I have been to many home and away games whenever I have been in England – most recently in January 2010. I have booked/paid for airline tickets for my son and I to travel from Melbourne to London for the Cup Final on Sunday 24 February. We arrive in London on Friday and fly back to Melbourne on Tuesday. As soon as the tickets become available to the general public on 13 February I will be on-line to buy our tickets. Glenn.[/p][/quote]SOMEBODY GET THIS MAN HIS TICKETS!! - I CAN'T UNFORTUNATELY BUT THERE MUST BE SOMEONE WHO CAN DO THIS FOR HIM RATHER THAN TRYING TO MAKE A FAST BUCK ON EBAY OR FLOGGING THEM TO LXXDS OR BURNLEY SCUM!![/p][/quote]i got mine off a leeds fans there will be 6 of us 2 leeds fans and 4 city fans and i know a couple of town fans r going think rhodes and lawn giving 3 tickets per season ticket holder is bang on!!!!!!!!!good luck getting tickets glenn ctid pollyperks67
  • Score: 0

2:28pm Mon 4 Feb 13

bcfc1903 says...

pollyperks67 wrote:
TheCoach wrote:
Glenn Owens wrote:
I was born in Bradford in 1960 and now live in Melbourne, Australia. I am a lifetime City supporter. I attended my first game at home to Port Vale in 1970 and went to hundreds of games during the seventies. I have been to many home and away games whenever I have been in England – most recently in January 2010. I have booked/paid for airline tickets for my son and I to travel from Melbourne to London for the Cup Final on Sunday 24 February. We arrive in London on Friday and fly back to Melbourne on Tuesday. As soon as the tickets become available to the general public on 13 February I will be on-line to buy our tickets. Glenn.
SOMEBODY GET THIS MAN HIS TICKETS!! - I CAN'T UNFORTUNATELY BUT THERE MUST BE SOMEONE WHO CAN DO THIS FOR HIM RATHER THAN TRYING TO MAKE A FAST BUCK ON EBAY OR FLOGGING THEM TO LXXDS OR BURNLEY SCUM!!
i got mine off a leeds fans there will be 6 of us 2 leeds fans and 4 city fans and i know a couple of town fans r going think rhodes and lawn giving 3 tickets per season ticket holder is bang on!!!!!!!!!good luck getting tickets glenn ctid
Hope they 'both' join in with a rousing BCFC Wembley rendition of we all hate leeds scum....it's a cracker, and of course the clubs ticketing arrangements are bang on the money.

*

We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Claret and Amber.
[quote][p][bold]pollyperks67[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TheCoach[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Glenn Owens[/bold] wrote: I was born in Bradford in 1960 and now live in Melbourne, Australia. I am a lifetime City supporter. I attended my first game at home to Port Vale in 1970 and went to hundreds of games during the seventies. I have been to many home and away games whenever I have been in England – most recently in January 2010. I have booked/paid for airline tickets for my son and I to travel from Melbourne to London for the Cup Final on Sunday 24 February. We arrive in London on Friday and fly back to Melbourne on Tuesday. As soon as the tickets become available to the general public on 13 February I will be on-line to buy our tickets. Glenn.[/p][/quote]SOMEBODY GET THIS MAN HIS TICKETS!! - I CAN'T UNFORTUNATELY BUT THERE MUST BE SOMEONE WHO CAN DO THIS FOR HIM RATHER THAN TRYING TO MAKE A FAST BUCK ON EBAY OR FLOGGING THEM TO LXXDS OR BURNLEY SCUM!![/p][/quote]i got mine off a leeds fans there will be 6 of us 2 leeds fans and 4 city fans and i know a couple of town fans r going think rhodes and lawn giving 3 tickets per season ticket holder is bang on!!!!!!!!!good luck getting tickets glenn ctid[/p][/quote]Hope they 'both' join in with a rousing BCFC Wembley rendition of we all hate leeds scum....it's a cracker, and of course the clubs ticketing arrangements are bang on the money. * We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Claret and Amber. bcfc1903
  • Score: 0

2:34pm Mon 4 Feb 13

seasidebantam says...

i knew as soon as i posted my message i would get people saying you should have bought a season tkt/flexicard, i made a concious decision not to, the reason being in my understanding the board knew the financial plight a lot of our fans are in and wanted to make it easier on thier pockets to watch our beloved team, i am not in that position, also the match day revenue at city is pretty poor, they get no money from the food and beverage outlets, which are a rip off!! they will get money from programmes club shop etc, and people who buy tickets on match day
like me , i will spend more money at vp over a season than flexi tkt holders that is my choice, it helps my club, i will be going to wembley, there are tkts already on sale from tkt sites but i really don't want to give my money to people, who have no connection with the club, if a supporter has spare tkts then he has already bought them from city,so in a roundabout way the club benefits,but as a last resort i will buy tkts at extortinate prices to follow my team
ctid
i knew as soon as i posted my message i would get people saying you should have bought a season tkt/flexicard, i made a concious decision not to, the reason being in my understanding the board knew the financial plight a lot of our fans are in and wanted to make it easier on thier pockets to watch our beloved team, i am not in that position, also the match day revenue at city is pretty poor, they get no money from the food and beverage outlets, which are a rip off!! they will get money from programmes club shop etc, and people who buy tickets on match day like me , i will spend more money at vp over a season than flexi tkt holders that is my choice, it helps my club, i will be going to wembley, there are tkts already on sale from tkt sites but i really don't want to give my money to people, who have no connection with the club, if a supporter has spare tkts then he has already bought them from city,so in a roundabout way the club benefits,but as a last resort i will buy tkts at extortinate prices to follow my team ctid seasidebantam
  • Score: 0

4:32pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Hund01 says...

Glenn Owens wrote:
I was born in Bradford in 1960 and now live in Melbourne, Australia.
I am a lifetime City supporter. I attended my first game at home to Port Vale in 1970 and went to hundreds of games during the seventies. I have been to many home and away games whenever I have been in England – most recently in January 2010.
I have booked/paid for airline tickets for my son and I to travel from Melbourne to London for the Cup Final on Sunday 24 February. We arrive in London on Friday and fly back to Melbourne on Tuesday.
As soon as the tickets become available to the general public on 13 February I will be on-line to buy our tickets. Glenn.
Hi Glenn hope you manage to get a ticket for you and your son. You should post your request on the Claret and Banter forum. It is worth a try.
It is a shame that the club has not set aside a couple of hundred tickets for the exiles. Selling them only to those with a foreign address.
Hailing from Bradford and being a Bantam is a very special and rare identity for those living abroad.
What really upsets me are the tout online sites selling 40 quid tickets for around 260 pounds. They are so blatant and nobody seems to be able to do anything about them. The government should allow legal DOS attacks on these sites.
[quote][p][bold]Glenn Owens[/bold] wrote: I was born in Bradford in 1960 and now live in Melbourne, Australia. I am a lifetime City supporter. I attended my first game at home to Port Vale in 1970 and went to hundreds of games during the seventies. I have been to many home and away games whenever I have been in England – most recently in January 2010. I have booked/paid for airline tickets for my son and I to travel from Melbourne to London for the Cup Final on Sunday 24 February. We arrive in London on Friday and fly back to Melbourne on Tuesday. As soon as the tickets become available to the general public on 13 February I will be on-line to buy our tickets. Glenn.[/p][/quote]Hi Glenn hope you manage to get a ticket for you and your son. You should post your request on the Claret and Banter forum. It is worth a try. It is a shame that the club has not set aside a couple of hundred tickets for the exiles. Selling them only to those with a foreign address. Hailing from Bradford and being a Bantam is a very special and rare identity for those living abroad. What really upsets me are the tout online sites selling 40 quid tickets for around 260 pounds. They are so blatant and nobody seems to be able to do anything about them. The government should allow legal DOS attacks on these sites. Hund01
  • Score: 0

4:41pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Cityboy78 says...

seasidebantam wrote:
i knew as soon as i posted my message i would get people saying you should have bought a season tkt/flexicard, i made a concious decision not to, the reason being in my understanding the board knew the financial plight a lot of our fans are in and wanted to make it easier on thier pockets to watch our beloved team, i am not in that position, also the match day revenue at city is pretty poor, they get no money from the food and beverage outlets, which are a rip off!! they will get money from programmes club shop etc, and people who buy tickets on match day
like me , i will spend more money at vp over a season than flexi tkt holders that is my choice, it helps my club, i will be going to wembley, there are tkts already on sale from tkt sites but i really don't want to give my money to people, who have no connection with the club, if a supporter has spare tkts then he has already bought them from city,so in a roundabout way the club benefits,but as a last resort i will buy tkts at extortinate prices to follow my team
ctid
Well said mate, im in a similar boat, work shifts in south yorks and live in cambridge (dont ask!) so pay on the gate at VP but mostly go to away games. Ive been offered single tickets from mates but want to take the suckers who i rope into away games. I think if ST holders had been given two each nobody would have batted an eye and everyone would have been reasonably happy, however in being uber loyal to ST holders, the board have slapped a large number of loyal fans who live away from BD8 (remember the much lauded, praised and appreciated away 'Bradford Army!) in the bracket. I, like you, will wait for the bun fight for the few seats left, and if not, ill shell out a grand on 4 tickets. Ive spent far more over the years travelling long distances to my home games (northampton, dagenham, southend, barnet, wallsall away etc) so a trip to Wembers will not be missed. Unlike the vast majority of blaggers who will go to VP once after the final, see a gash draw, and disappear until the next Premier League comes to town. See you all at Exeter/Plymouth in March eh? Thought not.
[quote][p][bold]seasidebantam[/bold] wrote: i knew as soon as i posted my message i would get people saying you should have bought a season tkt/flexicard, i made a concious decision not to, the reason being in my understanding the board knew the financial plight a lot of our fans are in and wanted to make it easier on thier pockets to watch our beloved team, i am not in that position, also the match day revenue at city is pretty poor, they get no money from the food and beverage outlets, which are a rip off!! they will get money from programmes club shop etc, and people who buy tickets on match day like me , i will spend more money at vp over a season than flexi tkt holders that is my choice, it helps my club, i will be going to wembley, there are tkts already on sale from tkt sites but i really don't want to give my money to people, who have no connection with the club, if a supporter has spare tkts then he has already bought them from city,so in a roundabout way the club benefits,but as a last resort i will buy tkts at extortinate prices to follow my team ctid[/p][/quote]Well said mate, im in a similar boat, work shifts in south yorks and live in cambridge (dont ask!) so pay on the gate at VP but mostly go to away games. Ive been offered single tickets from mates but want to take the suckers who i rope into away games. I think if ST holders had been given two each nobody would have batted an eye and everyone would have been reasonably happy, however in being uber loyal to ST holders, the board have slapped a large number of loyal fans who live away from BD8 (remember the much lauded, praised and appreciated away 'Bradford Army!) in the bracket. I, like you, will wait for the bun fight for the few seats left, and if not, ill shell out a grand on 4 tickets. Ive spent far more over the years travelling long distances to my home games (northampton, dagenham, southend, barnet, wallsall away etc) so a trip to Wembers will not be missed. Unlike the vast majority of blaggers who will go to VP once after the final, see a gash draw, and disappear until the next Premier League comes to town. See you all at Exeter/Plymouth in March eh? Thought not. Cityboy78
  • Score: 0

7:00pm Mon 4 Feb 13

damos got a wife says...

Anybody got 2 spare 'free' tickets to Wycombe never mind wembley ?
Anybody got 2 spare 'free' tickets to Wycombe never mind wembley ? damos got a wife
  • Score: 0

7:04pm Mon 4 Feb 13

andypandy2 says...

Dont worry Mr Mainwaring , Glenn and his son are sorted , in the cheap seats but hey
See you in London young man your round I beleive and thanks to a good friend for sorting him out
CTID
Dont worry Mr Mainwaring , Glenn and his son are sorted , in the cheap seats but hey See you in London young man your round I beleive and thanks to a good friend for sorting him out CTID andypandy2
  • Score: 0

9:35pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Glenn Owens says...

Thanks to some old and loyal friends for helping me with tickets for my son and I. We will be up there in the stands and we will savour every minute of the day. This is a dream come true for all life-time Bradford City fans whether they are at Wembley, watching the game on TV, following it on the internet or listening to the wireless. Glenn CTID.
Thanks to some old and loyal friends for helping me with tickets for my son and I. We will be up there in the stands and we will savour every minute of the day. This is a dream come true for all life-time Bradford City fans whether they are at Wembley, watching the game on TV, following it on the internet or listening to the wireless. Glenn CTID. Glenn Owens
  • Score: 0

11:58pm Mon 4 Feb 13

bcfc1903 says...

I fu*king love ths club and it's fans..

**
We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Claret and Amber!!!!!!!!
I fu*king love ths club and it's fans.. ** We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Claret and Amber!!!!!!!! bcfc1903
  • Score: 0

3:44am Tue 5 Feb 13

philjenko says...

Phil from Sydney Australia.I too am a long standing City fan now aged 52. My first game was Notts County at home in 1966 aged 6!. I made the trip over in 96 when we played in the play off final - somethingI will never forget!Timing is just not good for me to attend the final against Swansea- I've just had 8 weeks leave and enjoyed all City's games on the TV.( in Aus and Canada). I wish everyone a fantastic day out at Wembley and I will be watching the game in the early hours with about 20 mates who are all now 100% behind City( even a couple of Arsenal supporters!!).Gutted I cant make it but but still City till I die.City - the World wants you to WIN!
Phil from Sydney Australia.I too am a long standing City fan now aged 52. My first game was Notts County at home in 1966 aged 6!. I made the trip over in 96 when we played in the play off final - somethingI will never forget!Timing is just not good for me to attend the final against Swansea- I've just had 8 weeks leave and enjoyed all City's games on the TV.( in Aus and Canada). I wish everyone a fantastic day out at Wembley and I will be watching the game in the early hours with about 20 mates who are all now 100% behind City( even a couple of Arsenal supporters!!).Gutted I cant make it but but still City till I die.City - the World wants you to WIN! philjenko
  • Score: 0

5:21am Tue 5 Feb 13

Waydownsouth says...

Is there some good honest soul who will get me a ticket? I live in Qatarand am desperate to get to the match but there is no point me booking a flight without a ticket..andyjwaterho
use@yahoo.co.uk or andyskyope15.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there some good honest soul who will get me a ticket? I live in Qatarand am desperate to get to the match but there is no point me booking a flight without a ticket..andyjwaterho use@yahoo.co.uk or andyskyope15. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Waydownsouth
  • Score: 0

5:21am Tue 5 Feb 13

Waydownsouth says...

Is there some good honest soul who will get me a ticket? I live in Qatarand am desperate to get to the match but there is no point me booking a flight without a ticket..andyjwaterho
use@yahoo.co.uk or andyskyope15.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there some good honest soul who will get me a ticket? I live in Qatarand am desperate to get to the match but there is no point me booking a flight without a ticket..andyjwaterho use@yahoo.co.uk or andyskyope15. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Waydownsouth
  • Score: 0

5:50am Tue 5 Feb 13

richbar62 says...

My son and I travelling over Australia, arrive Sat 16th, straight to the Wimbledon away game, Cup final, then Dag & Red game Wed 27th, fly back Thur 28th.

This for us is a dream trip, and look forward to meeting the local fans at Wembley.
My son and I travelling over Australia, arrive Sat 16th, straight to the Wimbledon away game, Cup final, then Dag & Red game Wed 27th, fly back Thur 28th. This for us is a dream trip, and look forward to meeting the local fans at Wembley. richbar62
  • Score: 0

5:55am Tue 5 Feb 13

richbar62 says...

And also the "internationals" that are making the journey.

Andypandy2 and friends, great job helping out Glen, would love to get in on that round of drinks !!
And also the "internationals" that are making the journey. Andypandy2 and friends, great job helping out Glen, would love to get in on that round of drinks !! richbar62
  • Score: 0

6:42am Tue 5 Feb 13

nzchch says...

Born Bradford 02/05/1961. Dad moved us to Christchurch NZ 1965. One thing that was instilled in me - Bradford City was my club. seen City in the flesh twice. Been to the Valley 5 times. Arriving Manchester 21 February. 08:30 24 February meet coach at the Valley, bound for Wembley. 12,000 miles, 1,300 pounds - Wembley - Priceless....
Born Bradford 02/05/1961. Dad moved us to Christchurch NZ 1965. One thing that was instilled in me - Bradford City was my club. seen City in the flesh twice. Been to the Valley 5 times. Arriving Manchester 21 February. 08:30 24 February meet coach at the Valley, bound for Wembley. 12,000 miles, 1,300 pounds - Wembley - Priceless.... nzchch
  • Score: 0

12:01pm Tue 5 Feb 13

theoutsider says...

bcfc1903 wrote:
theoutsider wrote:
He gave what ? 20 quid ! ...geeze and to think of what us season ticket holders have put in over't years.

Bandwagon jumper comes to mind

Still somebodys come to his rescue ! but bound to feel a fraud when arrives at Wembley as a lot undoubtedly are !
Reading your post...being physically sick comes to mind.
sorry can you take something for it ?..perhaps see your GP ? I agree its making us 'real fans' feel a bit queasy reading sickly stuff like this.
[quote][p][bold]bcfc1903[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]theoutsider[/bold] wrote: He gave what ? 20 quid ! ...geeze and to think of what us season ticket holders have put in over't years. Bandwagon jumper comes to mind Still somebodys come to his rescue ! but bound to feel a fraud when arrives at Wembley as a lot undoubtedly are ![/p][/quote]Reading your post...being physically sick comes to mind.[/p][/quote]sorry can you take something for it ?..perhaps see your GP ? I agree its making us 'real fans' feel a bit queasy reading sickly stuff like this. theoutsider
  • Score: 0

1:00pm Tue 5 Feb 13

bcfc1903 says...

theoutsider wrote:
bcfc1903 wrote:
theoutsider wrote:
He gave what ? 20 quid ! ...geeze and to think of what us season ticket holders have put in over't years.

Bandwagon jumper comes to mind

Still somebodys come to his rescue ! but bound to feel a fraud when arrives at Wembley as a lot undoubtedly are !
Reading your post...being physically sick comes to mind.
sorry can you take something for it ?..perhaps see your GP ? I agree its making us 'real fans' feel a bit queasy reading sickly stuff like this.
No fella...there's no cure for your terrible posts...


**

We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Caret and Amber!!!!
[quote][p][bold]theoutsider[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bcfc1903[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]theoutsider[/bold] wrote: He gave what ? 20 quid ! ...geeze and to think of what us season ticket holders have put in over't years. Bandwagon jumper comes to mind Still somebodys come to his rescue ! but bound to feel a fraud when arrives at Wembley as a lot undoubtedly are ![/p][/quote]Reading your post...being physically sick comes to mind.[/p][/quote]sorry can you take something for it ?..perhaps see your GP ? I agree its making us 'real fans' feel a bit queasy reading sickly stuff like this.[/p][/quote]No fella...there's no cure for your terrible posts... ** We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Caret and Amber!!!! bcfc1903
  • Score: 0

6:27pm Tue 5 Feb 13

andypandy2 says...

richbar62 I may hold you to that lol, be in London saturday afternoon --23 your round I belive then Mr owens
richbar62 I may hold you to that lol, be in London saturday afternoon --23 your round I belive then Mr owens andypandy2
  • Score: 0

12:53am Wed 6 Feb 13

richbar62 says...

consider it a done deal Andy
consider it a done deal Andy richbar62
  • Score: 0

1:42am Wed 6 Feb 13

Durko11 says...

i would just like to share my joy with my fellow bantams travelling from foreign shores to support 'our' city.
Personally i am travelling from Sydney to London on the 23rd of Feb and planning on having a weekend that will long live in the memory.
CTID
i would just like to share my joy with my fellow bantams travelling from foreign shores to support 'our' city. Personally i am travelling from Sydney to London on the 23rd of Feb and planning on having a weekend that will long live in the memory. CTID Durko11
  • Score: 0

2:52pm Wed 6 Feb 13

Andy2010 says...

bcfc1903 wrote:
theoutsider wrote:
bcfc1903 wrote:
theoutsider wrote:
He gave what ? 20 quid ! ...geeze and to think of what us season ticket holders have put in over't years.

Bandwagon jumper comes to mind

Still somebodys come to his rescue ! but bound to feel a fraud when arrives at Wembley as a lot undoubtedly are !
Reading your post...being physically sick comes to mind.
sorry can you take something for it ?..perhaps see your GP ? I agree its making us 'real fans' feel a bit queasy reading sickly stuff like this.
No fella...there's no cure for your terrible posts...


**

We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Caret and Amber!!!!
Caret and Amber ?

Anyway how is this any different from "plastics" or "glory hunters" who have been shot down in flames amongst city fans?
[quote][p][bold]bcfc1903[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]theoutsider[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bcfc1903[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]theoutsider[/bold] wrote: He gave what ? 20 quid ! ...geeze and to think of what us season ticket holders have put in over't years. Bandwagon jumper comes to mind Still somebodys come to his rescue ! but bound to feel a fraud when arrives at Wembley as a lot undoubtedly are ![/p][/quote]Reading your post...being physically sick comes to mind.[/p][/quote]sorry can you take something for it ?..perhaps see your GP ? I agree its making us 'real fans' feel a bit queasy reading sickly stuff like this.[/p][/quote]No fella...there's no cure for your terrible posts... ** We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Caret and Amber!!!![/p][/quote]Caret and Amber ? Anyway how is this any different from "plastics" or "glory hunters" who have been shot down in flames amongst city fans? Andy2010
  • Score: 0

9:37pm Wed 6 Feb 13

bcfc1903 says...

Andy2010 wrote:
bcfc1903 wrote:
theoutsider wrote:
bcfc1903 wrote:
theoutsider wrote:
He gave what ? 20 quid ! ...geeze and to think of what us season ticket holders have put in over't years.

Bandwagon jumper comes to mind

Still somebodys come to his rescue ! but bound to feel a fraud when arrives at Wembley as a lot undoubtedly are !
Reading your post...being physically sick comes to mind.
sorry can you take something for it ?..perhaps see your GP ? I agree its making us 'real fans' feel a bit queasy reading sickly stuff like this.
No fella...there's no cure for your terrible posts...


**

We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Caret and Amber!!!!
Caret and Amber ?

Anyway how is this any different from "plastics" or "glory hunters" who have been shot down in flames amongst city fans?
Sorry meant Carrot and Amber lol...Glory hunters or plastics...never used the term...nor has any BCFC fans i know...all BCFC fans are welcome who can get a ticket.

**

We shout with pride....we'll never hide...Claret and Amber!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bcfc1903[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]theoutsider[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bcfc1903[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]theoutsider[/bold] wrote: He gave what ? 20 quid ! ...geeze and to think of what us season ticket holders have put in over't years. Bandwagon jumper comes to mind Still somebodys come to his rescue ! but bound to feel a fraud when arrives at Wembley as a lot undoubtedly are ![/p][/quote]Reading your post...being physically sick comes to mind.[/p][/quote]sorry can you take something for it ?..perhaps see your GP ? I agree its making us 'real fans' feel a bit queasy reading sickly stuff like this.[/p][/quote]No fella...there's no cure for your terrible posts... ** We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Caret and Amber!!!![/p][/quote]Caret and Amber ? Anyway how is this any different from "plastics" or "glory hunters" who have been shot down in flames amongst city fans?[/p][/quote]Sorry meant Carrot and Amber lol...Glory hunters or plastics...never used the term...nor has any BCFC fans i know...all BCFC fans are welcome who can get a ticket. ** We shout with pride....we'll never hide...Claret and Amber!!!! bcfc1903
  • Score: 0

6:35pm Fri 8 Feb 13

arm grab man says...

why do people comment on things they have no knowledge of ?

see you in london jagger the beer is on us this time .
why do people comment on things they have no knowledge of ? see you in london jagger the beer is on us this time . arm grab man
  • Score: 0

7:11pm Fri 8 Feb 13

bcfc1903 says...

Good luck Mark...you did the club proud in it's time of need, i also chucked in at the time, a weeks wage if i remember correctly.

**

We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Claret and Amber
Good luck Mark...you did the club proud in it's time of need, i also chucked in at the time, a weeks wage if i remember correctly. ** We shout with pride...we'll never hide...Claret and Amber bcfc1903
  • Score: 0

8:45am Tue 19 Feb 13

sharkiebites says...

philjenko wrote:
Phil from Sydney Australia.I too am a long standing City fan now aged 52. My first game was Notts County at home in 1966 aged 6!. I made the trip over in 96 when we played in the play off final - somethingI will never forget!Timing is just not good for me to attend the final against Swansea- I've just had 8 weeks leave and enjoyed all City's games on the TV.( in Aus and Canada). I wish everyone a fantastic day out at Wembley and I will be watching the game in the early hours with about 20 mates who are all now 100% behind City( even a couple of Arsenal supporters!!).Gutted I cant make it but but still City till I die.City - the World wants you to WIN!
hey phil where you watching the game. i myself a lifelong fan who cant make it and so wish i could afford it, sydney life is so expensive
city is the only thing i miss.
im hoping to go the casino, i live over in manly. if your watching anywhere i can join you i would love to watch with some exciled city fans. its not often i am wishing we were back home but am now. send me an email if you can chris.b@aabuilding.c
om.au
[quote][p][bold]philjenko[/bold] wrote: Phil from Sydney Australia.I too am a long standing City fan now aged 52. My first game was Notts County at home in 1966 aged 6!. I made the trip over in 96 when we played in the play off final - somethingI will never forget!Timing is just not good for me to attend the final against Swansea- I've just had 8 weeks leave and enjoyed all City's games on the TV.( in Aus and Canada). I wish everyone a fantastic day out at Wembley and I will be watching the game in the early hours with about 20 mates who are all now 100% behind City( even a couple of Arsenal supporters!!).Gutted I cant make it but but still City till I die.City - the World wants you to WIN![/p][/quote]hey phil where you watching the game. i myself a lifelong fan who cant make it and so wish i could afford it, sydney life is so expensive city is the only thing i miss. im hoping to go the casino, i live over in manly. if your watching anywhere i can join you i would love to watch with some exciled city fans. its not often i am wishing we were back home but am now. send me an email if you can chris.b@aabuilding.c om.au sharkiebites
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree