Pennine League Division Two Central: Wyke 26 Eastmoor Dragons 10 

EASTMOOR Dragons raised the white flag of surrender to trigger the abandonment of their Pennine League Division Two Central clash at Wyke, with the home outfit well in control at 26-10.

While the pitch was heavy and there was standing water, there was no doubt that it was clearly fit for play, and the Dragons made light of the conditions with a quickfire passing move to put wingman Shaun Upson over in the corner.

The black and whites hit back to take the lead after eventually gaining possession for the first time on the ten-minute mark when hooker Oscar Woodhead changed direction to put substitute Tevin Campbell charging over the whitewash, leaving second-row forward Brad Campbell to slot over the extras.

The classy Wakefield visitors' centre Ryan Chawkley completely fooled the home cover by cutting inside on a diagonal run to the sticks, allowing full back Jamie Creed a simple conversion before the splendid contest took another turn in favour of the hosts when scrum half Jordan Payton produced a precision kick to put wingman Dan Worby in at the corner, and Campbell added the extras from the touchline.

Eastmoor suffered another setback when a raid up the right flank broke down, allowing wingman Cameron Foster to hack the ball 80 metres before scooping up the ball to dive over the line, which, together with another splendid conversion from Campbell, put the hosts into the sheds 18-10 up.

The rumours circulating during the half-time interval that the summer- based National Conference League Dragons were intending to throw in the towel gained traction when second-row forward Alec Williams burrowed over at the play the ball, and the visitors' heads went down again shortly afterwards when Campbell latched on to a wickedly- bouncing Payton grubber kick to collect and score.

Wyke were now completely in charge, and when a Dragon player complained of having mud in his eyes, the referee, to the astonishment of the large crowd, abandoned the game.

The dumbfounded Wyke coach Ian Wormald and his embarrassed Eastmoor counterpart quickly agreed that sufficient time had been made to ensure the result should stand, leaving everyone to troop away disappointed and mystified at the sudden end to a game that should have continued to its 80-minute conclusion.