Guiseley 2, Leamington 1

Guiseley came from a goal down at home to Leamington to bank another three precious points in the Skrill Conference North tonight.

The Lions have kick-started their season after the weather problems, and the win over the Midlands outfit lifted them to 11th place.

They are now six points clear of Leamington and 11 off the play-off places with four games in hand.

Following a win and a draw from two tough away games, tonight’s return to Nethermoor started badly.

The visitors took an early lead as Danny Newton slotted home from close range in the fourth minute.

However, it was a lead that lasted just ten minutes in a breathtaking opening spell.

The Lions forced a corner and Danny Ellis converted Wayne Brooksby’s delivery with a firm header.

The rest of the first period was just as action packed as play switched from end to end but Guiseley finished it strongly and netted what proved to be the winning goal two minutes before the break when Kevin Holsgrove’s shot took a slight deflection.

Guiseley had a few chances to increase their lead but Leamington were never out of the contest and it was a nail-biting end.

But the Lions held on, despite a very good chance for the visitors deep into the four minutes of stoppage time.

It was a busy night for the local clubs in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division, with three of the four representatives involved.

However, it was a poor night for the sides following a trio of defeats.

Thackley lost 1-0 at home to Garforth Town and Liversedge were beaten 2-0 at Glasshoughton Welfare.

Albion Sports did at least score in their 2-1 loss at Worksop Parramore as Liam Ormsby fired in a late free-kick.

Sam Smith netted in the 34th minute and Jack Poulton made it 2-0 in the 78th minute, Ormsby replying five minutes later.

Tomorrow night it’s the turn of Brighouse Town as they host Derbyshire outfit Heanor Town.

Silsden were also beaten in the North West Counties League top tier tonight.

The Cobbydalers went behind in the second minute at West Didsbury & Chorlton and conceded again just before the break as they slipped to a 2-0 defeat.