Forrest goal gets Rothery off hook for missing penalty as Guiseley beat Boston

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Alex Johnson saw this shot saved by Boston keeper Lewis King Alex Johnson saw this shot saved by Boston keeper Lewis King

Guiseley 1 Boston United 0

The Skrill North manager of the month award was not a poisoned chalice for Guiseley boss Mark Bower as he masterminded another superb victory for the Lions at Nethermoor on Saturday.

It was a close game that was a good advert for the Conference North and the three points over sixth-placed Boston United took Bower’s men up to tenth.

The Pilgrims were mauled by the Lions in the first half and, although the visitors improved after the break, Guiseley’s defence was solid.

Their style of quicksilver pass and move football cut their visitors to pieces in the opening stages as they created chances almost at will.

Boston’s biggest threat was former Bantams player Spencer Weir-Daley.

The home side spurned some good opportunities to score, the most glaring from the penalty spot. Pilgrims skipper Ian Ross fouled Andy Holdsworth in the area but, although Gavin Rothery struck the spot-kick well, visiting keeper Lewis King pulled off a magnificent diving save.

That was three minutes before the break and it seemed that Guiseley’s first-half domination would go unrewarded. But just on the stroke of half-time, Danny Forrest fired a shot from just inside the area that cannoned in off the inside of King’s right-hand post.

There was a lot of industry and attacking intent from Boston at the start of the second half. Weir-Daley out-thought Lions keeper Steve Drench to gain possession before chipping a cross into the area but, with the keeper out of position, a towering header averted the danger.

Weir-Daley had two chances to grab the leveller himself within minutes. The first was a low shot from the edge of the area that Drench saved and the second he fired over from the corner of the six-yard box with only the home keeper to beat.

The Lions could have put the game to bed late on with substitute Craig Hobson and skipper Holdsworth both having glorious openings following breakaways.

Hobson streaked clear of the visiting defenders to reach the area but he was tackled by the keeper.

King also made himself big when Holdsworth raced down the opposite flank in stoppage time. The Lions captain still fancied his chances one-on-one with the keeper but his chip went wide of the far post.

Bower was happy that his side had kept the momentum going ahead of tonight’s league derby with Avenue at Horsfall Stadium.

He said: “I was delighted with the performance and thought we should have come in at least two up at half-time. In the second half it was an aerial bombardment from Boston but we defended magnificently.

“There are a few with bumps and bruises and it’s a quick turnaround from Saturday to Monday so we will have to wait and see if everyone is fit but I don’t see any major concerns.”


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree