Bradford City: Evans will not appeal after being hit for six by FA (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Bradford City: Steve Evans will not appeal after being hit for six by FA
City today distanced themselves from the Steve Evans affair after he was punished by the Football Association for his conduct at Valley Parade last season.
Evans has been banned from attending Rotherham’s next six games and fined £3,000.
He was found guilty of “using abusive and insulting words and behaviour, including a reference to gender” to a female member of the City staff around the dressing room area at the home match with Crawley in March.
A delegation from City, which included director Roger Owen and the woman involved, attended an FA hearing in Birmingham last Wednesday. But the verdict was only announced late yesterday afternoon.
A club statement said: “We have received the FA commission’s findings and we have no further comment on the matter.”
Evans, who left Crawley to become Rotherham manager a fortnight after the incident, will not be allowed in the ground at a Millers match until they face Southend at home on October 13.
The ban begins straight away with the weekend clash against Torquay, when Evans cannot attend the stadium at any time during the day.
The commission did not find that he had used indecent words or behaviour. But given his previous record – which includes a prosecution for tax evasion – he is likely to be on thin ice with the football authorities.
Evans decided not to appeal the verdict but said: “I’m very disappointed by the decision. However, for the good of Rotherham United I accept the verdict and will move on with no further comment.”
The case had been brought by the FA after City initially lodged a complaint with the Football League. The incident came after five players had been sent off in a mass brawl at the final whistle.
Evans was charged on June 19 and the hearing was scheduled to take place in the first week of July. But he was ill at the time and it had to be postponed.
Rotherham, who beat City 4-0 ten days ago – only to be turned over 6-2 by Port Vale on Saturday – are not due at Valley Parade until February 23.
A club statement read: “Rotherham acknowledge the decision of the FA and will work closely with Steve Evans to ensure the penalty imposed does not affect our objectives for this season.”