Boulding off mark as City maintain 100 per cent start

City 2 Rochdale 0

Michael Boulding opened his account for the Bantams as City made it three wins out of three.

The new signing from Mansfield got in front of his marker to head home a superb cross from Peter Thorne after 20 minutes.

City's leading scorer put the hosts further in front on 36 minutes when he found himself unmarked in the six-yard box and he nodded home his fifth goal of the season from a Paul McLaren free-kick.

The 2-0 lead perhaps flattered the Bantams against an impressive Rochdale side who had more of the ball but lacked City's cutting edge.

Adam Le Fondre hit the cross bar in the second half and Paul Arnison had to clear off the line as the Bantams defended well.

At the other end, Boulding almost got his second when he hit the inside of the post and the ball rolled across the line before being cleared.

Victory puts Stuart McCall's men in second place on goal difference behind Shrewsbury.

Comments (36)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:45pm Sat 23 Aug 08

fatbloke says...

Great performance. Strikers different class, Clarke outstanding and Lee is a machine. I know it is still early doors but we could not have asked for anymore in the league to press. Boulding again had his back to goal turned hit the post and rolled along the line, twice in two games. With a bit more luck he could be on 3 goals and Thorne on 5. Something we have lacked for years, real goalscorers and to have 2 at the same time? Credit to McCall for not paying 60k for Shaw (who didnt do much today) and been patient with Boulding paid off.

Only issue is we attack the TL Dallas stand very very well, but when attacking the kop end it is not as good and seem to be on back foot too much, maybe its becasue we have already done the damage. How important was the decision to put us in there? I think a massive influence.
Great performance. Strikers different class, Clarke outstanding and Lee is a machine. I know it is still early doors but we could not have asked for anymore in the league to press. Boulding again had his back to goal turned hit the post and rolled along the line, twice in two games. With a bit more luck he could be on 3 goals and Thorne on 5. Something we have lacked for years, real goalscorers and to have 2 at the same time? Credit to McCall for not paying 60k for Shaw (who didnt do much today) and been patient with Boulding paid off. Only issue is we attack the TL Dallas stand very very well, but when attacking the kop end it is not as good and seem to be on back foot too much, maybe its becasue we have already done the damage. How important was the decision to put us in there? I think a massive influence. fatbloke
  • Score: 0

7:56pm Sat 23 Aug 08

gspot says...

A vey similar performance then against macc town but against much bette opposition - a very good 2 nil win and as fat bloke says we no whave 2 quality strikers (which we haven't had for a long time) which will go along way to our overall performance this season.
The 2 centre backs looked solid and are forming a very good partnership together early doors.

Impressed today against a team which will be up there at the end of the season. CTID
A vey similar performance then against macc town but against much bette opposition - a very good 2 nil win and as fat bloke says we no whave 2 quality strikers (which we haven't had for a long time) which will go along way to our overall performance this season. The 2 centre backs looked solid and are forming a very good partnership together early doors. Impressed today against a team which will be up there at the end of the season. CTID gspot
  • Score: 0

8:01pm Sat 23 Aug 08

Freddy says...

Freddy, says...
5:14pm Sat 23 Aug 08
Its 17:05 and we have won 2-0 again!. Well played everyone at Bradford City AFC.
From the text on the City Web-Site I did not like the sound of a " BAD TACKLE FROM CLARK KELTIE(5)ON PAUL McLAREN". Keltie was booked for unsporting behaviour. 6 Minutes later Paul McLaren had to be substituted. How bad was the tackle?. Should Keltie have been dismissed?.
How bad is the injury to Paul McLaren?.
Well done 13,154 supporters,with 915 being visitors.
For 40 minutes during the match we were TOP of the Live League Table!.

It is so frustrating trying to follow City on their web-site.
Well played everybody!!!!!!!!!!!


THAT GREAT FEELING IS BACK AGAIN!
(All the 'City' "WAGS", of both players and Supporters, are in for a great weekend! We have won again!)

Now for ALdershot(A) next Saturday.
Freddy, says... 5:14pm Sat 23 Aug 08 Its 17:05 and we have won 2-0 again!. Well played everyone at Bradford City AFC. From the text on the City Web-Site I did not like the sound of a " BAD TACKLE FROM CLARK KELTIE(5)ON PAUL McLAREN". Keltie was booked for unsporting behaviour. 6 Minutes later Paul McLaren had to be substituted. How bad was the tackle?. Should Keltie have been dismissed?. How bad is the injury to Paul McLaren?. Well done 13,154 supporters,with 915 being visitors. For 40 minutes during the match we were TOP of the Live League Table!. It is so frustrating trying to follow City on their web-site. Well played everybody!!!!!!!!!!! THAT GREAT FEELING IS BACK AGAIN! (All the 'City' "WAGS", of both players and Supporters, are in for a great weekend! We have won again!) Now for ALdershot(A) next Saturday. Freddy
  • Score: 0

2:40am Sun 24 Aug 08

Halifax Bantam says...

Freddy wrote:
Freddy, says...5:14pm Sat 23 Aug 08Its 17:05 and we have won 2-0 again!. Well played everyone at Bradford City AFC.From the text on the City Web-Site I did not like the sound of a " BAD TACKLE FROM CLARK KELTIE(5)ON PAUL McLAREN". Keltie was booked for unsporting behaviour. 6 Minutes later Paul McLaren had to be substituted. How bad was the tackle?. Should Keltie have been dismissed?.How bad is the injury to Paul McLaren?.Well done 13,154 supporters,with 915 being visitors.For 40 minutes during the match we were TOP of the Live League Table!.It is so frustrating trying to follow City on their web-site.Well played everybody!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT GREAT FEELING IS BACK AGAIN!(All the 'City' "WAGS", of both players and Supporters, are in for a great weekend! We have won again!)Now for ALdershot(A) next Saturday.
Wasn't that bad a tackle, just caught his ankle. A couple of days ago i posted that McLaren needed to up his game and show what he's about,unfortunately he had a shocker, gave the ball away, no pace, my nan is quicker than him and he doesn't mark or tackle, Nix looked much better when he came on, got stuck in when Rochdale were getting on top, how they didnt score god only knows. McCall may have get a loan signing in centre mid to cover.
Two great goals from City. Arnison's wing was again targeted as our week spot and rightly so as he's no defender! will cost us goals if he's not sorted out, Clarke,Lee and Heckingbottom look to have gelled well.
Not meaning to slate anyone, just saying what i've seen so far.
3 games, 3 wins and i still feel we could up it a couple of gears.
[quote][bold]Freddy[/bold] wrote: Freddy, says...5:14pm Sat 23 Aug 08Its 17:05 and we have won 2-0 again!. Well played everyone at Bradford City AFC.From the text on the City Web-Site I did not like the sound of a " BAD TACKLE FROM CLARK KELTIE(5)ON PAUL McLAREN". Keltie was booked for unsporting behaviour. 6 Minutes later Paul McLaren had to be substituted. How bad was the tackle?. Should Keltie have been dismissed?.How bad is the injury to Paul McLaren?.Well done 13,154 supporters,with 915 being visitors.For 40 minutes during the match we were TOP of the Live League Table!.It is so frustrating trying to follow City on their web-site.Well played everybody!!!!!!!!!!! THAT GREAT FEELING IS BACK AGAIN!(All the 'City' "WAGS", of both players and Supporters, are in for a great weekend! We have won again!)Now for ALdershot(A) next Saturday.[/quote]Wasn't that bad a tackle, just caught his ankle. A couple of days ago i posted that McLaren needed to up his game and show what he's about,unfortunately he had a shocker, gave the ball away, no pace, my nan is quicker than him and he doesn't mark or tackle, Nix looked much better when he came on, got stuck in when Rochdale were getting on top, how they didnt score god only knows. McCall may have get a loan signing in centre mid to cover. Two great goals from City. Arnison's wing was again targeted as our week spot and rightly so as he's no defender! will cost us goals if he's not sorted out, Clarke,Lee and Heckingbottom look to have gelled well. Not meaning to slate anyone, just saying what i've seen so far. 3 games, 3 wins and i still feel we could up it a couple of gears. Halifax Bantam
  • Score: 0

7:43am Sun 24 Aug 08

Freddy says...

Many thanks "Halifax-Bantam". As I can not travel up to see every match, I am hanging on every word from the web-site commentary text.
It seems that Mclarens'substitutio
n could have been more tacticle, than precautionary, from the tackle.(I notice SHAW was subbed as tacticle move?.)
It appears to many of our City Supporters, that there is a weak link in Arnison. Scouts and reports on City, will be used to exploit this players weakness; in that Arnison lacks pace. Could Arnison be risked in McLarens position,and Moncur put into the Right Back slot?.
Arnisons' strength is his killer tackle, probably because he lacks pace, and if he misses the tackle challenge, he can not turn and catch a fast winger. This I noted in the Notts. County match, where he was beaten several times,and they scored from exploiting Arnisons' lack of pace on the turn.
Still its ALDERSHOT NEXT-C'Mon City!
Many thanks "Halifax-Bantam". As I can not travel up to see every match, I am hanging on every word from the web-site commentary text. It seems that Mclarens'substitutio n could have been more tacticle, than precautionary, from the tackle.(I notice SHAW was subbed as tacticle move?.) It appears to many of our City Supporters, that there is a weak link in Arnison. Scouts and reports on City, will be used to exploit this players weakness; in that Arnison lacks pace. Could Arnison be risked in McLarens position,and Moncur put into the Right Back slot?. Arnisons' strength is his killer tackle, probably because he lacks pace, and if he misses the tackle challenge, he can not turn and catch a fast winger. This I noted in the Notts. County match, where he was beaten several times,and they scored from exploiting Arnisons' lack of pace on the turn. Still its ALDERSHOT NEXT-C'Mon City! Freddy
  • Score: 0

8:10am Sun 24 Aug 08

guiseley-bantam says...

you can see the team has more to give and yet we still keep winning which says a lot. every 1 i thought had a solid game, thorne and bouilding are a class apart for me. lets hope they both can stay fit or we may struggle to find gaols.
you can see the team has more to give and yet we still keep winning which says a lot. every 1 i thought had a solid game, thorne and bouilding are a class apart for me. lets hope they both can stay fit or we may struggle to find gaols. guiseley-bantam
  • Score: 0

9:18am Sun 24 Aug 08

fatbloke says...

Freddy my reports told everyone about Arnison in pre-season. Halifax Bantam I can see why you maybe slightly dissapointed with Mclaren's individual performance, however I still think he brings a calming influence to the rest of the TEAM and adds INTELLIGENCE which was sadly lacking last year, also ASSISTS which again were lacking last year. Nix brought a good engine in when needed. I would stick with Mclaren though.
I have been trying to stay away from the Arnison debate because I felt like people may think I have something against him, but the majority of times they attacked down the left they could have scored.
One basic thing I noticed is as follows, when Colbeck is back and assisting Arnison against 2 of their players and they have possesion. When the ball is passed between them they both follow the ball, which leaves a spare man to get the ball back and hit the bye line and has plenty of time to cross. There is obviously a lack of communication between them. It takes one of them to talk and say i have him you stick on him, this cant be happening.

There will always be something we can improve on, but so as long as we are winning and improving all the time which I feel we have game by game (slightly), what more can we ask for?
Freddy my reports told everyone about Arnison in pre-season. Halifax Bantam I can see why you maybe slightly dissapointed with Mclaren's individual performance, however I still think he brings a calming influence to the rest of the TEAM and adds INTELLIGENCE which was sadly lacking last year, also ASSISTS which again were lacking last year. Nix brought a good engine in when needed. I would stick with Mclaren though. I have been trying to stay away from the Arnison debate because I felt like people may think I have something against him, but the majority of times they attacked down the left they could have scored. One basic thing I noticed is as follows, when Colbeck is back and assisting Arnison against 2 of their players and they have possesion. When the ball is passed between them they both follow the ball, which leaves a spare man to get the ball back and hit the bye line and has plenty of time to cross. There is obviously a lack of communication between them. It takes one of them to talk and say i have him you stick on him, this cant be happening. There will always be something we can improve on, but so as long as we are winning and improving all the time which I feel we have game by game (slightly), what more can we ask for? fatbloke
  • Score: 0

9:41am Sun 24 Aug 08

Bricktop says...

Fantastic performance yesterday, just a lil' shocked to be reading the comments today and still seeing people having a dig at some of the players! We might not be playing champions League stuff just yet, but 3 wins out of 3 in the league is not bad, and people still seem to forget, we haven't spent any money! Credit to McCall for looking past Shaw and that old 'Town' muppet Beckett, the frees who he has brought in have been top drawer. Arnison still seemingly gets stick from many of you due to his defensive displays, but really guys, were not losing....! Give the guy encouragment, he has been good going forward, and as well as this, if i'm not mistaken, i think, if i wasn't dreaming, saw Omar tracking back 4/5 times yesterday, and making at least 1 vital block in his own box! He's learning! As long as we play as collective, then certain players weaker traits hopefully wont be exploited too often! Well done Arny and well done Omar! Hecky looks to have got it back finally, Clarke was superb, and we still have Nixy and Brandon to come in yet! Front wo... nuff said.... CTID
Fantastic performance yesterday, just a lil' shocked to be reading the comments today and still seeing people having a dig at some of the players! We might not be playing champions League stuff just yet, but 3 wins out of 3 in the league is not bad, and people still seem to forget, we haven't spent any money! Credit to McCall for looking past Shaw and that old 'Town' muppet Beckett, the frees who he has brought in have been top drawer. Arnison still seemingly gets stick from many of you due to his defensive displays, but really guys, were not losing....! Give the guy encouragment, he has been good going forward, and as well as this, if i'm not mistaken, i think, if i wasn't dreaming, saw Omar tracking back 4/5 times yesterday, and making at least 1 vital block in his own box! He's learning! As long as we play as collective, then certain players weaker traits hopefully wont be exploited too often! Well done Arny and well done Omar! Hecky looks to have got it back finally, Clarke was superb, and we still have Nixy and Brandon to come in yet! Front wo... nuff said.... CTID Bricktop
  • Score: 0

9:45am Sun 24 Aug 08

ricky says...

great win against one of the better sides in this league things are looking good but my post is to comment on the players arnison looked ok when he was against one winger but when they doubled up against him he was exposed especially in first half colbeck never helped him many people slated daley for this will anyone slate colbeck for the same reason it wasnt until the 2nd half colbeck helped him out and even bullock started to cover as well

lee won everything in the air as did clarke who was superb but for the first 15 mins or so he played a couple of there lads onside when the other 3 defenders had pushed up something they need to work on

mclaren took a knock after about 20 mins and never really recovered apart from the free kick for thornes goal he struggled

as for daley he scared the living daylights out of them deserved a goal but again he made one or two passess too late but what pleased me most in the 2nd half he helped the defence out more than he as done before so for me he deserves credit for that

as for boulding and thorne they will get 40 goals plus between them providing they stay fit
all in all a well earned the 3pts
great win against one of the better sides in this league things are looking good but my post is to comment on the players arnison looked ok when he was against one winger but when they doubled up against him he was exposed especially in first half colbeck never helped him many people slated daley for this will anyone slate colbeck for the same reason it wasnt until the 2nd half colbeck helped him out and even bullock started to cover as well lee won everything in the air as did clarke who was superb but for the first 15 mins or so he played a couple of there lads onside when the other 3 defenders had pushed up something they need to work on mclaren took a knock after about 20 mins and never really recovered apart from the free kick for thornes goal he struggled as for daley he scared the living daylights out of them deserved a goal but again he made one or two passess too late but what pleased me most in the 2nd half he helped the defence out more than he as done before so for me he deserves credit for that as for boulding and thorne they will get 40 goals plus between them providing they stay fit all in all a well earned the 3pts ricky
  • Score: 0

10:53am Sun 24 Aug 08

Halifax Bantam says...

fatbloke wrote:
Freddy my reports told everyone about Arnison in pre-season. Halifax Bantam I can see why you maybe slightly dissapointed with Mclaren's individual performance, however I still think he brings a calming influence to the rest of the TEAM and adds INTELLIGENCE which was sadly lacking last year, also ASSISTS which again were lacking last year. Nix brought a good engine in when needed. I would stick with Mclaren though.I have been trying to stay away from the Arnison debate because I felt like people may think I have something against him, but the majority of times they attacked down the left they could have scored.One basic thing I noticed is as follows, when Colbeck is back and assisting Arnison against 2 of their players and they have possesion. When the ball is passed between them they both follow the ball, which leaves a spare man to get the ball back and hit the bye line and has plenty of time to cross. There is obviously a lack of communication between them. It takes one of them to talk and say i have him you stick on him, this cant be happening.There will always be something we can improve on, but so as long as we are winning and improving all the time which I feel we have game by game (slightly), what more can we ask for?
Fatbloke, sorry but for me McLaren is just not cutting it so far, there's more to playing centre mid than just passing a ball 10yards sideways and i agree he does that well but he doesnt have an engine, he doesnt pick anyone up, numerous times yesterday their midfielders were moving off the ball and he struggled to keep up with play leaving us over run.
Arnison gives the winger's too much time and space often 15yards away from him which gives the winger time to control the ball and pick an option, but your'e right he and Colbeck seem to double up on the winger leaving their fullback to pick the ball up on the edge of our area, maybe it's because Cobeck knows the winger's are too quick for Arnison?
It's like McCall feels he can't leave either them out because they're new signings, just like he did with Darren Williams. Maybe not making them feel like they're automatic choices might motivate them. I said a couple of weeks ago we needed to strenghen in the middle, if Mclaren is now injured for a while i dont see Nix as the answer, who then comes in?
Just my opinion and i've no doubt some people will think they're both good players and will disagree with me, funny how we all see diiferent things in a players isn't it!
[quote][bold]fatbloke[/bold] wrote: Freddy my reports told everyone about Arnison in pre-season. Halifax Bantam I can see why you maybe slightly dissapointed with Mclaren's individual performance, however I still think he brings a calming influence to the rest of the TEAM and adds INTELLIGENCE which was sadly lacking last year, also ASSISTS which again were lacking last year. Nix brought a good engine in when needed. I would stick with Mclaren though.I have been trying to stay away from the Arnison debate because I felt like people may think I have something against him, but the majority of times they attacked down the left they could have scored.One basic thing I noticed is as follows, when Colbeck is back and assisting Arnison against 2 of their players and they have possesion. When the ball is passed between them they both follow the ball, which leaves a spare man to get the ball back and hit the bye line and has plenty of time to cross. There is obviously a lack of communication between them. It takes one of them to talk and say i have him you stick on him, this cant be happening.There will always be something we can improve on, but so as long as we are winning and improving all the time which I feel we have game by game (slightly), what more can we ask for?[/quote]Fatbloke, sorry but for me McLaren is just not cutting it so far, there's more to playing centre mid than just passing a ball 10yards sideways and i agree he does that well but he doesnt have an engine, he doesnt pick anyone up, numerous times yesterday their midfielders were moving off the ball and he struggled to keep up with play leaving us over run. Arnison gives the winger's too much time and space often 15yards away from him which gives the winger time to control the ball and pick an option, but your'e right he and Colbeck seem to double up on the winger leaving their fullback to pick the ball up on the edge of our area, maybe it's because Cobeck knows the winger's are too quick for Arnison? It's like McCall feels he can't leave either them out because they're new signings, just like he did with Darren Williams. Maybe not making them feel like they're automatic choices might motivate them. I said a couple of weeks ago we needed to strenghen in the middle, if Mclaren is now injured for a while i dont see Nix as the answer, who then comes in? Just my opinion and i've no doubt some people will think they're both good players and will disagree with me, funny how we all see diiferent things in a players isn't it! Halifax Bantam
  • Score: 0

10:58am Sun 24 Aug 08

lost in space says...

freddy, why dont you pay 2.99 for bantams world and listen to the comentary that way if you cant get to every game, im enjoying every second of every game so far, its great to boast about the 100 percent start, and 2 clean sheets, plus the leading goal scorer thorney
im sure all the teams are fearing us this season, well done all at city for bringing back the feel good factor long may it continue
freddy, why dont you pay 2.99 for bantams world and listen to the comentary that way if you cant get to every game, im enjoying every second of every game so far, its great to boast about the 100 percent start, and 2 clean sheets, plus the leading goal scorer thorney im sure all the teams are fearing us this season, well done all at city for bringing back the feel good factor long may it continue lost in space
  • Score: 0

12:26pm Sun 24 Aug 08

djmoulson says...

Halifax Bantam wrote:
fatbloke wrote:Freddy my reports told everyone about Arnison in pre-season. Halifax Bantam I can see why you maybe slightly dissapointed with Mclaren's individual performance, however I still think he brings a calming influence to the rest of the TEAM and adds INTELLIGENCE which was sadly lacking last year, also ASSISTS which again were lacking last year. Nix brought a good engine in when needed. I would stick with Mclaren though.I have been trying to stay away from the Arnison debate because I felt like people may think I have something against him, but the majority of times they attacked down the left they could have scored.One basic thing I noticed is as follows, when Colbeck is back and assisting Arnison against 2 of their players and they have possesion. When the ball is passed between them they both follow the ball, which leaves a spare man to get the ball back and hit the bye line and has plenty of time to cross. There is obviously a lack of communication between them. It takes one of them to talk and say i have him you stick on him, this cant be happening.There will always be something we can improve on, but so as long as we are winning and improving all the time which I feel we have game by game (slightly), what more can we ask for?Fatbloke, sorry but for me McLaren is just not cutting it so far, there's more to playing centre mid than just passing a ball 10yards sideways and i agree he does that well but he doesnt have an engine, he doesnt pick anyone up, numerous times yesterday their midfielders were moving off the ball and he struggled to keep up with play leaving us over run.Arnison gives the winger's too much time and space often 15yards away from him which gives the winger time to control the ball and pick an option, but your'e right he and Colbeck seem to double up on the winger leaving their fullback to pick the ball up on the edge of our area, maybe it's because Cobeck knows the winger's are too quick for Arnison? It's like McCall feels he can't leave either them out because they're new signings, just like he did with Darren Williams. Maybe not making them feel like they're automatic choices might motivate them. I said a couple of weeks ago we needed to strenghen in the middle, if Mclaren is now injured for a while i dont see Nix as the answer, who then comes in? Just my opinion and i've no doubt some people will think they're both good players and will disagree with me, funny how we all see diiferent things in a players isn't it!
Halifax Bantam....Yes McLaren was slow yesterday, and didn't have his best game, but I don't think the tackle was the reason, or it being tactical, I saw him mid the first half struggling to even walk normally, limping and looking uncomfortable, I believe Stuart gave him 10 minutes to see how it was in the second half, and then changed it. That said he still provided our second goal, that gave us a cushion on Rochdale, they looked mobile and will be in the top 7 in May. A good all round performance, even with Daley defending well in the 2nd half, my only gripe is that we always seem to know how to scare the fans by sitting back at the end of the game!!! CTID
[quote][bold]Halifax Bantam[/bold] wrote: fatbloke wrote:Freddy my reports told everyone about Arnison in pre-season. Halifax Bantam I can see why you maybe slightly dissapointed with Mclaren's individual performance, however I still think he brings a calming influence to the rest of the TEAM and adds INTELLIGENCE which was sadly lacking last year, also ASSISTS which again were lacking last year. Nix brought a good engine in when needed. I would stick with Mclaren though.I have been trying to stay away from the Arnison debate because I felt like people may think I have something against him, but the majority of times they attacked down the left they could have scored.One basic thing I noticed is as follows, when Colbeck is back and assisting Arnison against 2 of their players and they have possesion. When the ball is passed between them they both follow the ball, which leaves a spare man to get the ball back and hit the bye line and has plenty of time to cross. There is obviously a lack of communication between them. It takes one of them to talk and say i have him you stick on him, this cant be happening.There will always be something we can improve on, but so as long as we are winning and improving all the time which I feel we have game by game (slightly), what more can we ask for?Fatbloke, sorry but for me McLaren is just not cutting it so far, there's more to playing centre mid than just passing a ball 10yards sideways and i agree he does that well but he doesnt have an engine, he doesnt pick anyone up, numerous times yesterday their midfielders were moving off the ball and he struggled to keep up with play leaving us over run.Arnison gives the winger's too much time and space often 15yards away from him which gives the winger time to control the ball and pick an option, but your'e right he and Colbeck seem to double up on the winger leaving their fullback to pick the ball up on the edge of our area, maybe it's because Cobeck knows the winger's are too quick for Arnison? It's like McCall feels he can't leave either them out because they're new signings, just like he did with Darren Williams. Maybe not making them feel like they're automatic choices might motivate them. I said a couple of weeks ago we needed to strenghen in the middle, if Mclaren is now injured for a while i dont see Nix as the answer, who then comes in? Just my opinion and i've no doubt some people will think they're both good players and will disagree with me, funny how we all see diiferent things in a players isn't it![/quote]Halifax Bantam....Yes McLaren was slow yesterday, and didn't have his best game, but I don't think the tackle was the reason, or it being tactical, I saw him mid the first half struggling to even walk normally, limping and looking uncomfortable, I believe Stuart gave him 10 minutes to see how it was in the second half, and then changed it. That said he still provided our second goal, that gave us a cushion on Rochdale, they looked mobile and will be in the top 7 in May. A good all round performance, even with Daley defending well in the 2nd half, my only gripe is that we always seem to know how to scare the fans by sitting back at the end of the game!!! CTID djmoulson
  • Score: 0

1:28pm Sun 24 Aug 08

Halifax Bantam says...

Djmoullson, I agree, i also say him limping earler on in the game, i want him to be a success as i was very dissapointed with the midfield last season,but the truth is it wasn't just yesterday he was poor, bar a couple of passess to the fullback a game he's offered very little to the team, if his ankle isnt right from the pre season injury he should be honest and say so. Wouldnt he rather come back fighting fit in couple of weeks able to show what he's all about then play injured and put in some very below par performances? i noticed that the press are giving him 5 out of ten!
Bullock is carrying him and his hard work goes unrecognised, much like he had to do with with whichever midfield partner he had last season.
Teams are putting us under the cosh because we havent got someone who can take command and break the play up.
Djmoullson, I agree, i also say him limping earler on in the game, i want him to be a success as i was very dissapointed with the midfield last season,but the truth is it wasn't just yesterday he was poor, bar a couple of passess to the fullback a game he's offered very little to the team, if his ankle isnt right from the pre season injury he should be honest and say so. Wouldnt he rather come back fighting fit in couple of weeks able to show what he's all about then play injured and put in some very below par performances? i noticed that the press are giving him 5 out of ten! Bullock is carrying him and his hard work goes unrecognised, much like he had to do with with whichever midfield partner he had last season. Teams are putting us under the cosh because we havent got someone who can take command and break the play up. Halifax Bantam
  • Score: 0

1:52pm Sun 24 Aug 08

djmoulson says...

I don't disagree with most of what you say HB, altough I think the midfield is stronger WITH him in it, compared to last season. I actually thought McLaren had a good game against Notts County, but I HAD had 5 pints of Stella before KO...beer goggles possibly!!?!! I can see he has at least 2 more gears, and can see the qualities he has, hopefully the injury is a small niggle he can get over quickly and then we can see the best of his football, then our 'machine' will really start to perform. CTID
I don't disagree with most of what you say HB, altough I think the midfield is stronger WITH him in it, compared to last season. I actually thought McLaren had a good game against Notts County, but I HAD had 5 pints of Stella before KO...beer goggles possibly!!?!! I can see he has at least 2 more gears, and can see the qualities he has, hopefully the injury is a small niggle he can get over quickly and then we can see the best of his football, then our 'machine' will really start to perform. CTID djmoulson
  • Score: 0

2:24pm Sun 24 Aug 08

Freddy says...

Thanks "Lost in Space". I will pay for the commentary starting next Saturday, with the Aldershot match. Good thinking.
" Fatbloke " I agree we should not be raising the 'Arnison' observations again, but I feel you have been right all along since the 'Friendlies', and I endorsed those reservations at the Notts.Cty. match. To 'Bricktop' and 'Ricky'- We all mean well and want the best for the Squad, I would not deliberately dig at any player. I would hope that my assessments/observat
ions(if agreed by those that they refer to), may be taken in an encouraging constructive light, and hopefully enhance their playing abilities.
As to the Paul McLaren discussion, I was concerned about his and other players injuries during the pre-season build up. I think they have all come back too early, and it is beginning to show now. Lets hope Chris Brandon/Willy Topp etc. do not try to play too early, however much Stuart & The Supporters, want them back.
Thanks "Lost in Space". I will pay for the commentary starting next Saturday, with the Aldershot match. Good thinking. " Fatbloke " I agree we should not be raising the 'Arnison' observations again, but I feel you have been right all along since the 'Friendlies', and I endorsed those reservations at the Notts.Cty. match. To 'Bricktop' and 'Ricky'- We all mean well and want the best for the Squad, I would not deliberately dig at any player. I would hope that my assessments/observat ions(if agreed by those that they refer to), may be taken in an encouraging constructive light, and hopefully enhance their playing abilities. As to the Paul McLaren discussion, I was concerned about his and other players injuries during the pre-season build up. I think they have all come back too early, and it is beginning to show now. Lets hope Chris Brandon/Willy Topp etc. do not try to play too early, however much Stuart & The Supporters, want them back. Freddy
  • Score: 0

4:52pm Sun 24 Aug 08

gspot says...

I for one thing McLaren looks very good and people say that he was poor yesterday, i'd like t point out that yesterday he was always very tightly marked and kicked up in the air by a rochdale player when he got the ball. They will be an argument to say he should be able to play anyway but does it not show how good of a player we have with the attention the opposition paid him??
I for one thing McLaren looks very good and people say that he was poor yesterday, i'd like t point out that yesterday he was always very tightly marked and kicked up in the air by a rochdale player when he got the ball. They will be an argument to say he should be able to play anyway but does it not show how good of a player we have with the attention the opposition paid him?? gspot
  • Score: 0

5:32pm Sun 24 Aug 08

djmoulson says...

Gspot...same could be said for Omar yesterday as he had two men on him all game, I was really pleased with his attitude after the stupid comments last week about not expecting to track back after running forwards 60m, he showed a good work ethic yesterday and I for one hopes it continues, as he will be a real asset to us this season if so. All we need to do is use the spare man more if teams are doubling up on our players. Got my ticket for a week on Tues, would have gone to Aldershot if not for work commitments, I want to see EVERY game now, and look forward to the games 3 days before, I've not felt like that in years, long may it continue. CTID
Gspot...same could be said for Omar yesterday as he had two men on him all game, I was really pleased with his attitude after the stupid comments last week about not expecting to track back after running forwards 60m, he showed a good work ethic yesterday and I for one hopes it continues, as he will be a real asset to us this season if so. All we need to do is use the spare man more if teams are doubling up on our players. Got my ticket for a week on Tues, would have gone to Aldershot if not for work commitments, I want to see EVERY game now, and look forward to the games 3 days before, I've not felt like that in years, long may it continue. CTID djmoulson
  • Score: 0

5:36pm Sun 24 Aug 08

spacewagon says...

I thought it was an excellent performance by City and we are deservedly in the promotion places. Lee and Clarke both played great. But... a couple of gentle buts: Their strikers missed a bucketload of chances. And Omar did not manage to finish a single run with a pass to one of our players. That is just not productive enough. McCall needs to drum some football nous into him. Everything else was great and remember we still have Brandon to come and he will add postively to the midfield

I thought it was an excellent performance by City and we are deservedly in the promotion places. Lee and Clarke both played great. But... a couple of gentle buts: Their strikers missed a bucketload of chances. And Omar did not manage to finish a single run with a pass to one of our players. That is just not productive enough. McCall needs to drum some football nous into him. Everything else was great and remember we still have Brandon to come and he will add postively to the midfield spacewagon
  • Score: 0

5:43pm Sun 24 Aug 08

gspot says...

yeah i know what you mean djmoulson it defo beats sitting in the rain with 6000 there whilst falling down the leagues - if the problems mentioned above are the only problems we have then how can we complain???? how much better is this then the last 5/6 years????
yeah i know what you mean djmoulson it defo beats sitting in the rain with 6000 there whilst falling down the leagues - if the problems mentioned above are the only problems we have then how can we complain???? how much better is this then the last 5/6 years???? gspot
  • Score: 0

5:55pm Sun 24 Aug 08

djmoulson says...

My thoughts EXACTLY gspot, I see many more smiles on fans' faces when I look around, no booing at half-time, standing ovations for the subbed players, all round a much better feeling around the place, and I think the Bradford End having City fans in it again is really helping overall, from the Kop I can't REALLY hear much, but it just seems to lift the whole ground having City fans on all four sides, a good decision from the board I think. CTID
My thoughts EXACTLY gspot, I see many more smiles on fans' faces when I look around, no booing at half-time, standing ovations for the subbed players, all round a much better feeling around the place, and I think the Bradford End having City fans in it again is really helping overall, from the Kop I can't REALLY hear much, but it just seems to lift the whole ground having City fans on all four sides, a good decision from the board I think. CTID djmoulson
  • Score: 0

6:27pm Sun 24 Aug 08

fatbloke says...

For the last few years I have looked more forward to a pie rather then the footy, but not it's slowly turning lol....

On a serious note in the premier league players have weaknesses. I know I am as bad as anynoe else for pointing out ours, but in league 2 there will always be weaknesses. It's the basic things that annoy me, such as Colbeck & Arnison ball chasing rather then taking ownership of one match each when defending, which is noticebly causing us problems..
For the last few years I have looked more forward to a pie rather then the footy, but not it's slowly turning lol.... On a serious note in the premier league players have weaknesses. I know I am as bad as anynoe else for pointing out ours, but in league 2 there will always be weaknesses. It's the basic things that annoy me, such as Colbeck & Arnison ball chasing rather then taking ownership of one match each when defending, which is noticebly causing us problems.. fatbloke
  • Score: 0

6:29pm Sun 24 Aug 08

soulman says...

Things are going well with the results BUT for long spells we were on the 'back foot'.Especially in the 2nd half there were occassions when they had long spells of possession and made chances. I agree about the Arnison comments, but while we are winning I would;nt want to change the formula. I noted Omar tracked back more and on a number of occassions knicked the ball from the foot a Rochdale player!! He still makes too many wrong choices despite his control and speed.
It will be interesting to see the line up when Brandon is finally fit.
If we can get2 or 3 points from the next away games then we will be shaping up very well.
Things are going well with the results BUT for long spells we were on the 'back foot'.Especially in the 2nd half there were occassions when they had long spells of possession and made chances. I agree about the Arnison comments, but while we are winning I would;nt want to change the formula. I noted Omar tracked back more and on a number of occassions knicked the ball from the foot a Rochdale player!! He still makes too many wrong choices despite his control and speed. It will be interesting to see the line up when Brandon is finally fit. If we can get2 or 3 points from the next away games then we will be shaping up very well. soulman
  • Score: 0

6:31pm Sun 24 Aug 08

gspot says...

I sit in the bradford end and the atmosphere is much better and defo helps to bring back the feel good factor...i may be wrong but we do seem to attack the bradford end better then the kop end...is this coinsidence?? We seem to have our backs to the wall much more when attacking thew kop unlike previous years.

debating to travel to aldershot or not but i know in recent years it would have been a no without any thought.
I sit in the bradford end and the atmosphere is much better and defo helps to bring back the feel good factor...i may be wrong but we do seem to attack the bradford end better then the kop end...is this coinsidence?? We seem to have our backs to the wall much more when attacking thew kop unlike previous years. debating to travel to aldershot or not but i know in recent years it would have been a no without any thought. gspot
  • Score: 0

6:42pm Sun 24 Aug 08

djmoulson says...

gspot....get ya sen there, chalk it off as another ground visited, afterall I'd hope we're not playing them again next season, no disrespect to Aldershot.

Early days with the debate on the best end we play to, only two games in and in both we've been infront therefore sat back as we normally do when we're infront, think of the amount of games in the past 5-6 years we've been chasing the game, therefore pushing more in the second half, if it continues the way it has, I don't really care, as it means we'll be winning games. CTID
gspot....get ya sen there, chalk it off as another ground visited, afterall I'd hope we're not playing them again next season, no disrespect to Aldershot. Early days with the debate on the best end we play to, only two games in and in both we've been infront therefore sat back as we normally do when we're infront, think of the amount of games in the past 5-6 years we've been chasing the game, therefore pushing more in the second half, if it continues the way it has, I don't really care, as it means we'll be winning games. CTID djmoulson
  • Score: 0

6:57pm Sun 24 Aug 08

gspot says...

yeah valid points but the kop does seem a little dead....like ya say who cares if were winning.

i see the negative people on here have all one quiet!!!
yeah valid points but the kop does seem a little dead....like ya say who cares if were winning. i see the negative people on here have all one quiet!!! gspot
  • Score: 0

7:12pm Sun 24 Aug 08

skippy says...

gspot wrote:
yeah valid points but the kop does seem a little dead....like ya say who cares if were winning.i see the negative people on here have all one quiet!!!
no we are all in the kop watching rochdale doing quite well in places,with a better striker they could have won it
[quote][bold]gspot[/bold] wrote: yeah valid points but the kop does seem a little dead....like ya say who cares if were winning.i see the negative people on here have all one quiet!!![/quote]no we are all in the kop watching rochdale doing quite well in places,with a better striker they could have won it skippy
  • Score: 0

7:15pm Sun 24 Aug 08

djmoulson says...

I think it's the distance, the noice in the Kop sounds pretty similar to last season, I'm sat in the same seat and it seems no different to me. I love that we're only getting constructive criticism now....just like the good old days!!! CTID
I think it's the distance, the noice in the Kop sounds pretty similar to last season, I'm sat in the same seat and it seems no different to me. I love that we're only getting constructive criticism now....just like the good old days!!! CTID djmoulson
  • Score: 0

8:23pm Sun 24 Aug 08

gspot says...

skippy wrote:
gspot wrote:yeah valid points but the kop does seem a little dead....like ya say who cares if were winning.i see the negative people on here have all one quiet!!!no we are all in the kop watching rochdale doing quite well in places,with a better striker they could have won it
yeh but rochdale didn't get any points for playing pretty well..and how many more points could we picked up in recent seasons with qualiy strikers???

very poor argument i'm dissapointed in you!!!!
[quote][bold]skippy[/bold] wrote: gspot wrote:yeah valid points but the kop does seem a little dead....like ya say who cares if were winning.i see the negative people on here have all one quiet!!!no we are all in the kop watching rochdale doing quite well in places,with a better striker they could have won it[/quote]yeh but rochdale didn't get any points for playing pretty well..and how many more points could we picked up in recent seasons with qualiy strikers??? very poor argument i'm dissapointed in you!!!! gspot
  • Score: 0

10:52pm Sun 24 Aug 08

Senseless says...

See that my mate Sensible has dropped off the face of the earth. Bless his little cynical socks!

I enjoyed the game and am impressed with omar tracking back. He still wants to score, thats what drives him. But McCall is building a real sense of team work. Omar seems to have bought into that. Lets hope it continues.

McLaren is an asset for us. A superb set piece from him created our second goal. He plays the simple ball, retains posession (mostly) and is a big lad in the middle alongside Bully. Would you really prefer Paul Evans back? Eddie Johnson anyone?

I really dont like the sit back in the second half tactic being played out each week. We seem to play people off the park in the first, get the goals and sit back/counter attack. I could have picked my seat up with my a**e cheeks late in the game! I was that nervous!

Still 100% bar the legoland jaunt. I'm pleased, is everyone else?
See that my mate Sensible has dropped off the face of the earth. Bless his little cynical socks! I enjoyed the game and am impressed with omar tracking back. He still wants to score, thats what drives him. But McCall is building a real sense of team work. Omar seems to have bought into that. Lets hope it continues. McLaren is an asset for us. A superb set piece from him created our second goal. He plays the simple ball, retains posession (mostly) and is a big lad in the middle alongside Bully. Would you really prefer Paul Evans back? Eddie Johnson anyone? I really dont like the sit back in the second half tactic being played out each week. We seem to play people off the park in the first, get the goals and sit back/counter attack. I could have picked my seat up with my a**e cheeks late in the game! I was that nervous! Still 100% bar the legoland jaunt. I'm pleased, is everyone else? Senseless
  • Score: 0

11:17pm Sun 24 Aug 08

Halifax Bantam says...

gspot wrote:
I for one thing McLaren looks very good and people say that he was poor yesterday, i'd like t point out that yesterday he was always very tightly marked and kicked up in the air by a rochdale player when he got the ball. They will be an argument to say he should be able to play anyway but does it not show how good of a player we have with the attention the opposition paid him??
gspot, i didn't think McLaren was payed anymore attention then anyother player,the fact he got a few knocks is because he's so slow and easily caught,you must have sen it in the first half when the ball was played 5yards away from him and he was beaten to it by a player 10yards away!! Being a Central midfielder means your gonna get kicked every now and again,and your right a good player can play even when marked, so what does that tell you??
I know it seems like i'm on a downer on Mclaren, it's nothng personal agianst him, like i said earlier i was so dissapointed with central midfielders last season and was hoping to see someone come in who go box to box and who could put a tackle in when needed, oh well!!
[quote][bold]gspot[/bold] wrote: I for one thing McLaren looks very good and people say that he was poor yesterday, i'd like t point out that yesterday he was always very tightly marked and kicked up in the air by a rochdale player when he got the ball. They will be an argument to say he should be able to play anyway but does it not show how good of a player we have with the attention the opposition paid him??[/quote]gspot, i didn't think McLaren was payed anymore attention then anyother player,the fact he got a few knocks is because he's so slow and easily caught,you must have sen it in the first half when the ball was played 5yards away from him and he was beaten to it by a player 10yards away!! Being a Central midfielder means your gonna get kicked every now and again,and your right a good player can play even when marked, so what does that tell you?? I know it seems like i'm on a downer on Mclaren, it's nothng personal agianst him, like i said earlier i was so dissapointed with central midfielders last season and was hoping to see someone come in who go box to box and who could put a tackle in when needed, oh well!! Halifax Bantam
  • Score: 0

1:14am Mon 25 Aug 08

fatbloke says...

Gman. DO NOT respond to Skippy. He is a jacobs hater for whatever reason and a Mr sensible bum boy. Bring on Aldershot, anyone wanting to go as a pair be intouch as 3 of us want to got and looking to fill the car.

Skippy and Sensilbe please come with us.....
Gman. DO NOT respond to Skippy. He is a jacobs hater for whatever reason and a Mr sensible bum boy. Bring on Aldershot, anyone wanting to go as a pair be intouch as 3 of us want to got and looking to fill the car. Skippy and Sensilbe please come with us..... fatbloke
  • Score: 0

9:08am Mon 25 Aug 08

skippy says...

love to and i live very close to you,will you wear your red stockings and suspenders again?
love to and i live very close to you,will you wear your red stockings and suspenders again? skippy
  • Score: 0

10:34am Mon 25 Aug 08

audal says...

two front men who are on song a midfield who seem to be getting better and a defence that does not give me the jitters when the opposition attacks plus a goalie who gives confidance to the whole squad.this team is getting better and i, for one are quite pleased thus far.
two front men who are on song a midfield who seem to be getting better and a defence that does not give me the jitters when the opposition attacks plus a goalie who gives confidance to the whole squad.this team is getting better and i, for one are quite pleased thus far. audal
  • Score: 0

12:18pm Mon 25 Aug 08

tyker says...

great start--two strikers of qulaity at this level should get 20 plus each thsi season maybe more.

if this occurs then no place for Willy Topp!!
great start--two strikers of qulaity at this level should get 20 plus each thsi season maybe more. if this occurs then no place for Willy Topp!! tyker
  • Score: 0

12:50pm Mon 25 Aug 08

DonHutchinsAfro says...

skippy wrote:
gspot wrote:
yeah valid points but the kop does seem a little dead....like ya say who cares if were winning.i see the negative people on here have all one quiet!!!no we are all in the kop watching rochdale doing quite well in places,with a better striker they could have won it
But, and here is where your miniscule knowledge of football lets you down, they didn't have a decent striker, we let them sign him. We stood by our aging Championship quality striker who created one and scored his 5th of the season. That was the only difference between two of the better sides in this division. If we had gone for Shaw we wouldn't have signed Boulding, if we hadn't signed Boulding then Shaw may have been played week in week out and I can guesstimate our start wouldn't have been the same. So skippy me old marsupial loving pal, where's your sheep worrying mate senselass? City do well, something he is unable to even cast a small speculation over and he falls of the Earth's face, oh skip, didn't you see Wayne telling Thorney how to centre that ball for Boulding? No? That's because you are blinkered and a bit of a know nowt too.
[quote][bold]skippy[/bold] wrote: gspot wrote: yeah valid points but the kop does seem a little dead....like ya say who cares if were winning.i see the negative people on here have all one quiet!!!no we are all in the kop watching rochdale doing quite well in places,with a better striker they could have won it[/quote]But, and here is where your miniscule knowledge of football lets you down, they didn't have a decent striker, we let them sign him. We stood by our aging Championship quality striker who created one and scored his 5th of the season. That was the only difference between two of the better sides in this division. If we had gone for Shaw we wouldn't have signed Boulding, if we hadn't signed Boulding then Shaw may have been played week in week out and I can guesstimate our start wouldn't have been the same. So skippy me old marsupial loving pal, where's your sheep worrying mate senselass? City do well, something he is unable to even cast a small speculation over and he falls of the Earth's face, oh skip, didn't you see Wayne telling Thorney how to centre that ball for Boulding? No? That's because you are blinkered and a bit of a know nowt too. DonHutchinsAfro
  • Score: 0

1:35pm Mon 25 Aug 08

tyker says...

is it true that Topp has walked out--any news please!!

Topp not happy that promises made have not been met--reason 3 wins and no defeats with two of the divisions best strikers beginning to work together
is it true that Topp has walked out--any news please!! Topp not happy that promises made have not been met--reason 3 wins and no defeats with two of the divisions best strikers beginning to work together tyker
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree