Mason Bennett keen to follow Nahki Wells blueprint at Bradford City

Mason Bennett battles with the Walsall defence on his City debut

Mason Bennett battles with the Walsall defence on his City debut

First published in Sport
Last updated
Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , Bradford City Reporter

MASON Bennett has revealed that he was inspired to join City by the goal-scoring exploits of Nahki Wells.

The 18-year-old Derby starlet, signed on loan until January, opened his account in Tuesday's 3-1 win at Crawley with a coolly-taken effort.

The England under-19 international opted for the Bantams after a proposed switch to Sheffield United, also involving Rams full back Kieron Freeman, collapsed.

Now he believes they can help him make a name for himself in the game – just as Wells did.

In his first interview since arriving at the club, Bennett said: "As soon as Bradford were calling, I told my agent that I definitely wanted to go there.

"I've seen Nahki Wells in the past come through and I think I've got a great chance to push on here.

"There were a few deals going round with me as the bonus signing. I'm glad to be myself and go out as myself on loan rather than just as another player.

"It's great to get on the pitch and I'm really enjoying my time at Bradford.

"There's a bit of swagger about the lads in the way they are playing. You can see how confident they are from the start to the season.

"We got three goals against Crawley and could have scored a few more. The lads are a really creative bunch and I think we'll score quite a few this season."

James Hanson, who netted City's first, set up Bennett's goal by winning his header and the youngster believes he can have plenty of success working alongside the targetman.

"It's a bit different from Derby because we normally have only one up front with two wingers," he said.

"But I know for a fact he's going to win the flick-ons and I'm going to gamble. Big thanks to him for my goal. He helped flick it on and hopefully we'll get more goals in the future."

Bennett is still waiting to find out if he will be allowed to feature in next week's Capital One Cup showdown with Leeds. But he is excited about the weekend clash against Peterborough – and his first chance to step out at Valley Parade.

He said: "I'm not too sure yet about the cup. It's down to the club and Derby whether I can play or not and I'll see what they say.

"But there is a big game on Saturday first and the lads can go into it with a lot of confidence.

"I drove past the stadium a few times but I've not been there yet. It looks huge and I can't wait to get in there.

"The fans were great on Tuesday. They travelled a long way and created a really good atmosphere and I'm sure it's going to be even better at home."

After starting against Walsall, Bennett was on the bench on Tuesday and came on for the second half. Phil Parkinson insists that he will get a lot sharper.

Parkinson said: "Mason's got a long way to go in terms of fitness. He's done the pre-season with Derby but obviously when you're playing under-21s it's totally different to this type of football.

"He found Saturday's game tough and the training leading up to it. But what I liked about him is that even when he was fatigued he kept going and showed terrific heart.

"If you've got ability like him and a heart the size of his, you've got a good chance of being a player. He's a very confident lad."

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:42am Thu 21 Aug 14

Plastic Bantam says...

I love the way Parky talks!!! He sounds so passionate!!!
I love the way Parky talks!!! He sounds so passionate!!! Plastic Bantam
  • Score: 15

9:17am Thu 21 Aug 14

Go Torps! Yer flying. says...

Nahki who...?
Nahki who...? Go Torps! Yer flying.
  • Score: 30

10:16am Thu 21 Aug 14

Waydownsouth says...

He looked sharp as a razor on Tuesday. Mobile, quick, strong, good control - no wonder he's an international.
He looked sharp as a razor on Tuesday. Mobile, quick, strong, good control - no wonder he's an international. Waydownsouth
  • Score: 13

10:32am Thu 21 Aug 14

Freddy says...

*
I agree-- an exciting prospect. But, when he is up to match fitness : City may lose him in January. It would be very useful if Derby agree to his Cup match appearances.
*
* I agree-- an exciting prospect. But, when he is up to match fitness : City may lose him in January. It would be very useful if Derby agree to his Cup match appearances. * Freddy
  • Score: 11

11:15am Thu 21 Aug 14

lawsonio123 says...

Derby lost the play off because they lacked scoring power This young man if he starts scoring a lot of goals will be taken back to Derby in January it is a situation where we need to play are own players and perhaps use the young man sparingly . It would be a shame otherwise should l he develop a goal scoring partnership with James Hanson which was then curtailed in January. It is a situation which could benefit City for half a season then turn against them in the run in to possible promotion. We at the moment seem to have half the carrot However we do have Billy Clark who does score and also has some skill .At Blackpool he was not given a fair chance and is a player who is well able to hold his own in the Championship so perhaps we have the solution at Valley Parade Looking forward a good season should be in store for supporters
Derby lost the play off because they lacked scoring power This young man if he starts scoring a lot of goals will be taken back to Derby in January it is a situation where we need to play are own players and perhaps use the young man sparingly . It would be a shame otherwise should l he develop a goal scoring partnership with James Hanson which was then curtailed in January. It is a situation which could benefit City for half a season then turn against them in the run in to possible promotion. We at the moment seem to have half the carrot However we do have Billy Clark who does score and also has some skill .At Blackpool he was not given a fair chance and is a player who is well able to hold his own in the Championship so perhaps we have the solution at Valley Parade Looking forward a good season should be in store for supporters lawsonio123
  • Score: 3

11:28am Thu 21 Aug 14

Plastic Bantam says...

lawsonio123 wrote:
Derby lost the play off because they lacked scoring power This young man if he starts scoring a lot of goals will be taken back to Derby in January it is a situation where we need to play are own players and perhaps use the young man sparingly . It would be a shame otherwise should l he develop a goal scoring partnership with James Hanson which was then curtailed in January. It is a situation which could benefit City for half a season then turn against them in the run in to possible promotion. We at the moment seem to have half the carrot However we do have Billy Clark who does score and also has some skill .At Blackpool he was not given a fair chance and is a player who is well able to hold his own in the Championship so perhaps we have the solution at Valley Parade Looking forward a good season should be in store for supporters
He played the majority of Blackpools championship season, However when they got promoted he got a major knee injury which stopped him featuring in the premier league for them.. Which I can imagine was gutting for him... However he is a serious player and as you say will cut it at championship level, Hopefully with us!!
[quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: Derby lost the play off because they lacked scoring power This young man if he starts scoring a lot of goals will be taken back to Derby in January it is a situation where we need to play are own players and perhaps use the young man sparingly . It would be a shame otherwise should l he develop a goal scoring partnership with James Hanson which was then curtailed in January. It is a situation which could benefit City for half a season then turn against them in the run in to possible promotion. We at the moment seem to have half the carrot However we do have Billy Clark who does score and also has some skill .At Blackpool he was not given a fair chance and is a player who is well able to hold his own in the Championship so perhaps we have the solution at Valley Parade Looking forward a good season should be in store for supporters[/p][/quote]He played the majority of Blackpools championship season, However when they got promoted he got a major knee injury which stopped him featuring in the premier league for them.. Which I can imagine was gutting for him... However he is a serious player and as you say will cut it at championship level, Hopefully with us!! Plastic Bantam
  • Score: 7

1:35pm Thu 21 Aug 14

lawsonio123 says...

Plastic Bantam wrote:
lawsonio123 wrote:
Derby lost the play off because they lacked scoring power This young man if he starts scoring a lot of goals will be taken back to Derby in January it is a situation where we need to play are own players and perhaps use the young man sparingly . It would be a shame otherwise should l he develop a goal scoring partnership with James Hanson which was then curtailed in January. It is a situation which could benefit City for half a season then turn against them in the run in to possible promotion. We at the moment seem to have half the carrot However we do have Billy Clark who does score and also has some skill .At Blackpool he was not given a fair chance and is a player who is well able to hold his own in the Championship so perhaps we have the solution at Valley Parade Looking forward a good season should be in store for supporters
He played the majority of Blackpools championship season, However when they got promoted he got a major knee injury which stopped him featuring in the premier league for them.. Which I can imagine was gutting for him... However he is a serious player and as you say will cut it at championship level, Hopefully with us!!
I often watched him at Blackpool and has you say he will cut it at championship level I also understand he is on a 2 year contract so he should be here at least that long i like him Take care
[quote][p][bold]Plastic Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: Derby lost the play off because they lacked scoring power This young man if he starts scoring a lot of goals will be taken back to Derby in January it is a situation where we need to play are own players and perhaps use the young man sparingly . It would be a shame otherwise should l he develop a goal scoring partnership with James Hanson which was then curtailed in January. It is a situation which could benefit City for half a season then turn against them in the run in to possible promotion. We at the moment seem to have half the carrot However we do have Billy Clark who does score and also has some skill .At Blackpool he was not given a fair chance and is a player who is well able to hold his own in the Championship so perhaps we have the solution at Valley Parade Looking forward a good season should be in store for supporters[/p][/quote]He played the majority of Blackpools championship season, However when they got promoted he got a major knee injury which stopped him featuring in the premier league for them.. Which I can imagine was gutting for him... However he is a serious player and as you say will cut it at championship level, Hopefully with us!![/p][/quote]I often watched him at Blackpool and has you say he will cut it at championship level I also understand he is on a 2 year contract so he should be here at least that long i like him Take care lawsonio123
  • Score: 0

3:33pm Thu 21 Aug 14

nigel007 says...

not to.sound clinical but we should.use bennett.as much as possible while.we.have him....4 months isnt long and if he bangs in the goals it just gives more.impetus to.clarke and mclean to do.well. All credit to parky on bennetts appointment and the recent signings...he has shown much.can be achieved with the right pieces of the puzzle and less cash than most. i think we may be in the playoffs with this squad. its going to he a very exciting season. p.s. Leeds getting stuffed will give some comic relief!
not to.sound clinical but we should.use bennett.as much as possible while.we.have him....4 months isnt long and if he bangs in the goals it just gives more.impetus to.clarke and mclean to do.well. All credit to parky on bennetts appointment and the recent signings...he has shown much.can be achieved with the right pieces of the puzzle and less cash than most. i think we may be in the playoffs with this squad. its going to he a very exciting season. p.s. Leeds getting stuffed will give some comic relief! nigel007
  • Score: 5

5:24pm Thu 21 Aug 14

Bantam Dubai says...

lawsonio123 wrote:
Derby lost the play off because they lacked scoring power This young man if he starts scoring a lot of goals will be taken back to Derby in January it is a situation where we need to play are own players and perhaps use the young man sparingly . It would be a shame otherwise should l he develop a goal scoring partnership with James Hanson which was then curtailed in January. It is a situation which could benefit City for half a season then turn against them in the run in to possible promotion. We at the moment seem to have half the carrot However we do have Billy Clark who does score and also has some skill .At Blackpool he was not given a fair chance and is a player who is well able to hold his own in the Championship so perhaps we have the solution at Valley Parade Looking forward a good season should be in store for supporters
It's a win win for City. We've got Bennett till January or unless there's a clause to say he can got back after 30 days. We may not have got him at all, had Sheff United got there act together. He lacked match fitness at Walsall, he gets a goal at Crawley, and now you are worrying Derby might call him back...!! It will stand us in good stead should Bennett excel and also Pickford, if and when we approach other club's for there young talent. I'm sure Middlesbrough would be happy to loan to us again, given the way Reach has started for them. Derby have put faith in Parky to coach the boy for the next few months if he starts smacking in the goals then all well and good. If Derby call him back in Jan, then it will be down to Parky to unearth another gem, it's as simple as that for me.
[quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: Derby lost the play off because they lacked scoring power This young man if he starts scoring a lot of goals will be taken back to Derby in January it is a situation where we need to play are own players and perhaps use the young man sparingly . It would be a shame otherwise should l he develop a goal scoring partnership with James Hanson which was then curtailed in January. It is a situation which could benefit City for half a season then turn against them in the run in to possible promotion. We at the moment seem to have half the carrot However we do have Billy Clark who does score and also has some skill .At Blackpool he was not given a fair chance and is a player who is well able to hold his own in the Championship so perhaps we have the solution at Valley Parade Looking forward a good season should be in store for supporters[/p][/quote]It's a win win for City. We've got Bennett till January or unless there's a clause to say he can got back after 30 days. We may not have got him at all, had Sheff United got there act together. He lacked match fitness at Walsall, he gets a goal at Crawley, and now you are worrying Derby might call him back...!! It will stand us in good stead should Bennett excel and also Pickford, if and when we approach other club's for there young talent. I'm sure Middlesbrough would be happy to loan to us again, given the way Reach has started for them. Derby have put faith in Parky to coach the boy for the next few months if he starts smacking in the goals then all well and good. If Derby call him back in Jan, then it will be down to Parky to unearth another gem, it's as simple as that for me. Bantam Dubai
  • Score: 8

8:03pm Thu 21 Aug 14

lawsonio123 says...

Bantam Dubai wrote:
lawsonio123 wrote:
Derby lost the play off because they lacked scoring power This young man if he starts scoring a lot of goals will be taken back to Derby in January it is a situation where we need to play are own players and perhaps use the young man sparingly . It would be a shame otherwise should l he develop a goal scoring partnership with James Hanson which was then curtailed in January. It is a situation which could benefit City for half a season then turn against them in the run in to possible promotion. We at the moment seem to have half the carrot However we do have Billy Clark who does score and also has some skill .At Blackpool he was not given a fair chance and is a player who is well able to hold his own in the Championship so perhaps we have the solution at Valley Parade Looking forward a good season should be in store for supporters
It's a win win for City. We've got Bennett till January or unless there's a clause to say he can got back after 30 days. We may not have got him at all, had Sheff United got there act together. He lacked match fitness at Walsall, he gets a goal at Crawley, and now you are worrying Derby might call him back...!! It will stand us in good stead should Bennett excel and also Pickford, if and when we approach other club's for there young talent. I'm sure Middlesbrough would be happy to loan to us again, given the way Reach has started for them. Derby have put faith in Parky to coach the boy for the next few months if he starts smacking in the goals then all well and good. If Derby call him back in Jan, then it will be down to Parky to unearth another gem, it's as simple as that for me.
Gems are not easy to find and no manager can pull them out of a hat. Bennett did very well but he is a young man still he will i am sure progress but we have to be mindful he is only on loan for a few months at present We should not expect Parky to create stars at will he is a good manager who does a good job and we are lucky to have him But please do not expect too much of him
[quote][p][bold]Bantam Dubai[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: Derby lost the play off because they lacked scoring power This young man if he starts scoring a lot of goals will be taken back to Derby in January it is a situation where we need to play are own players and perhaps use the young man sparingly . It would be a shame otherwise should l he develop a goal scoring partnership with James Hanson which was then curtailed in January. It is a situation which could benefit City for half a season then turn against them in the run in to possible promotion. We at the moment seem to have half the carrot However we do have Billy Clark who does score and also has some skill .At Blackpool he was not given a fair chance and is a player who is well able to hold his own in the Championship so perhaps we have the solution at Valley Parade Looking forward a good season should be in store for supporters[/p][/quote]It's a win win for City. We've got Bennett till January or unless there's a clause to say he can got back after 30 days. We may not have got him at all, had Sheff United got there act together. He lacked match fitness at Walsall, he gets a goal at Crawley, and now you are worrying Derby might call him back...!! It will stand us in good stead should Bennett excel and also Pickford, if and when we approach other club's for there young talent. I'm sure Middlesbrough would be happy to loan to us again, given the way Reach has started for them. Derby have put faith in Parky to coach the boy for the next few months if he starts smacking in the goals then all well and good. If Derby call him back in Jan, then it will be down to Parky to unearth another gem, it's as simple as that for me.[/p][/quote]Gems are not easy to find and no manager can pull them out of a hat. Bennett did very well but he is a young man still he will i am sure progress but we have to be mindful he is only on loan for a few months at present We should not expect Parky to create stars at will he is a good manager who does a good job and we are lucky to have him But please do not expect too much of him lawsonio123
  • Score: 1

8:10pm Thu 21 Aug 14

Waydownsouth says...

It's a good start and surely the doubters will finally get off Parky's back, because without going OTT to get where we are with a massively changed squad is down to him and his staff.
It's a good start and surely the doubters will finally get off Parky's back, because without going OTT to get where we are with a massively changed squad is down to him and his staff. Waydownsouth
  • Score: 1

10:04pm Thu 21 Aug 14

Banktop says...

Interesting comments regarding Mason, but it does look like we have a special player on our hands. The way he plays at such a young age is encouraging. Why worry though at this stage of the season that he may get recalled? Lets see how he does first and then see what both management teams agree for the remainder of the season.
I found an article by a Peterborough reporter interesting in his scouting of our side, he of course mentioned us losing a certain Mr Wells, but noted the Bradford City side was much stronger collectively. I think we all agree that this looks a much better team than previous sides to wear claret & amber and as such we should all be pleased with how we are progressing both on the field and off it. We like the new style of play and the attacking qualities this brings with it, also the new keeper looks a different class and obviously will develop further with such an established back line in font of him. All bauds well for the future and what we may achieve whilst we move forwards.
CTID
Interesting comments regarding Mason, but it does look like we have a special player on our hands. The way he plays at such a young age is encouraging. Why worry though at this stage of the season that he may get recalled? Lets see how he does first and then see what both management teams agree for the remainder of the season. I found an article by a Peterborough reporter interesting in his scouting of our side, he of course mentioned us losing a certain Mr Wells, but noted the Bradford City side was much stronger collectively. I think we all agree that this looks a much better team than previous sides to wear claret & amber and as such we should all be pleased with how we are progressing both on the field and off it. We like the new style of play and the attacking qualities this brings with it, also the new keeper looks a different class and obviously will develop further with such an established back line in font of him. All bauds well for the future and what we may achieve whilst we move forwards. CTID Banktop
  • Score: 3

10:39pm Thu 21 Aug 14

Bantam Dubai says...

lawsonio123 wrote:
Bantam Dubai wrote:
lawsonio123 wrote:
Derby lost the play off because they lacked scoring power This young man if he starts scoring a lot of goals will be taken back to Derby in January it is a situation where we need to play are own players and perhaps use the young man sparingly . It would be a shame otherwise should l he develop a goal scoring partnership with James Hanson which was then curtailed in January. It is a situation which could benefit City for half a season then turn against them in the run in to possible promotion. We at the moment seem to have half the carrot However we do have Billy Clark who does score and also has some skill .At Blackpool he was not given a fair chance and is a player who is well able to hold his own in the Championship so perhaps we have the solution at Valley Parade Looking forward a good season should be in store for supporters
It's a win win for City. We've got Bennett till January or unless there's a clause to say he can got back after 30 days. We may not have got him at all, had Sheff United got there act together. He lacked match fitness at Walsall, he gets a goal at Crawley, and now you are worrying Derby might call him back...!! It will stand us in good stead should Bennett excel and also Pickford, if and when we approach other club's for there young talent. I'm sure Middlesbrough would be happy to loan to us again, given the way Reach has started for them. Derby have put faith in Parky to coach the boy for the next few months if he starts smacking in the goals then all well and good. If Derby call him back in Jan, then it will be down to Parky to unearth another gem, it's as simple as that for me.
Gems are not easy to find and no manager can pull them out of a hat. Bennett did very well but he is a young man still he will i am sure progress but we have to be mindful he is only on loan for a few months at present We should not expect Parky to create stars at will he is a good manager who does a good job and we are lucky to have him But please do not expect too much of him
I don't get where you're going with you're reply.....
I do expect Parky to be creating stars weather they are raw talent from another team or they are from our own youth set-up.
That's what we pay him to do...!!
I'm more than aware as regards Bennett, but it's not me who's worrying...!! I hope he smashes in 20 goals between now and January and if Derby want him back then so be it. Like I said it's a win win for City
[quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bantam Dubai[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lawsonio123[/bold] wrote: Derby lost the play off because they lacked scoring power This young man if he starts scoring a lot of goals will be taken back to Derby in January it is a situation where we need to play are own players and perhaps use the young man sparingly . It would be a shame otherwise should l he develop a goal scoring partnership with James Hanson which was then curtailed in January. It is a situation which could benefit City for half a season then turn against them in the run in to possible promotion. We at the moment seem to have half the carrot However we do have Billy Clark who does score and also has some skill .At Blackpool he was not given a fair chance and is a player who is well able to hold his own in the Championship so perhaps we have the solution at Valley Parade Looking forward a good season should be in store for supporters[/p][/quote]It's a win win for City. We've got Bennett till January or unless there's a clause to say he can got back after 30 days. We may not have got him at all, had Sheff United got there act together. He lacked match fitness at Walsall, he gets a goal at Crawley, and now you are worrying Derby might call him back...!! It will stand us in good stead should Bennett excel and also Pickford, if and when we approach other club's for there young talent. I'm sure Middlesbrough would be happy to loan to us again, given the way Reach has started for them. Derby have put faith in Parky to coach the boy for the next few months if he starts smacking in the goals then all well and good. If Derby call him back in Jan, then it will be down to Parky to unearth another gem, it's as simple as that for me.[/p][/quote]Gems are not easy to find and no manager can pull them out of a hat. Bennett did very well but he is a young man still he will i am sure progress but we have to be mindful he is only on loan for a few months at present We should not expect Parky to create stars at will he is a good manager who does a good job and we are lucky to have him But please do not expect too much of him[/p][/quote]I don't get where you're going with you're reply..... I do expect Parky to be creating stars weather they are raw talent from another team or they are from our own youth set-up. That's what we pay him to do...!! I'm more than aware as regards Bennett, but it's not me who's worrying...!! I hope he smashes in 20 goals between now and January and if Derby want him back then so be it. Like I said it's a win win for City Bantam Dubai
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree