Depth of Bantams squad 'isn't good enough' admits Phil Parkinson

Oliver McBurnie has suffered a fresh setback in his recovery from a hamstring injury and will miss tomorrow's game

Oliver McBurnie has suffered a fresh setback in his recovery from a hamstring injury and will miss tomorrow's game

First published in Sport
Last updated
by

PHIL Parkinson has warned that City’s squad is still a “long way” from where he needs it to be heading into tomorrow’s League One opener at home to Coventry.

The Bantams boss has seen a raft of players depart since the end of last term and numbers remain worryingly low.

While pleased with the players he has recruited during the summer, Parkinson admitted he is desperate to add more new faces before the transfer window closes on August 31.

Parkinson signed goalkeeping duo Ben Williams and Matt Urwin and winger Mo Shariff on non-contract terms this week.

Another new face is also set to arrive on non-contract terms today but Parkinson said: “I don’t think we’re prepared as a squad.

“The physical preparation of the players we’ve got is good, apart from the injury setbacks to Oliver McBurnie (hamstring), Aaron Mclean (calf) and Lewis Clarkson (hamstring).

“But in terms of the squad, if you compare it with the squads we have had in the last two seasons, we are a long way away.

“We’ve got to be realistic and if you look at the size of the squad in terms of competition for places compared to what we’ve had in the last two years, then this isn’t good enough.

“But the ones we’ve brought in and the quality we’ve got is good, so we’ve got something to build on. But we need to build from here because standing still won’t be enough to mount a successful nine-month season.

“We can’t have a squad full of loan players and we still need a few of our own permanent signings.

“We targeted a few players to come in during the summer on long-term loans. For whatever reason, they haven’t quite fallen into place yet but there is the possibility they will do in the next week or so.”

Men who played a key role in the club’s glorious 2012-13 campaign, which saw City twice reach Wembley and win promotion, have gone.

The list of departures includes Jon McLaughlin, Garry Thompson, Matt Taylor, Matthew Bates, Carl McHugh, Kyel Reid, Nathan Doyle and Gary Jones, who yesterday agreed a one-year deal at League One rivals Notts County.

Parkinson is set to hand debuts to Alan Sheehan, Gary Liddle, Jordan Pickford, Billy Clarke and Billy Knott.

But the City boss, who has spent up to his summer budget, could struggle to fill his bench with senior players tomorrow.

He added: “The teams who ultimately do the best are the ones who have cover in all areas and competition for places.

“I’ve been looking at teams in pre-season and their substitutes because it’s the strength of the bench which can often determine how well a team will do.

“It’s obvious that we need that and I’m trying my best to make sure we get that – but it’s difficult.

“A lot can happen between now and the end of August so hopefully by that time we can have 20 players and we’re looking stronger.

“The reason we brought two more goalkeepers in is that the moment a player on non-contract terms gets an offer from elsewhere he can walk away.

“So because of that we signed Matt and Ben as we didn’t want to get to the Morecambe game next week, when Jordan can’t play, and be left without a keeper.

“I’m happy with the cover we have now in that area and the core of the squad is good.”

Mclean has been struggling with a calf problem during pre-season but Parkinson is hoping he will be fit enough for inclusion on the bench tomorrow, although fellow frontman McBurnie seems certain to miss out.

Parkinson added: “McBurnie looks like being out. We get him back for a couple of days but he keeps breaking down.

“Mclean has trained today and as far as I know there has been no reaction.

“We’ll have a look at that again tomorrow but he won’t be ready to start a game for a few weeks.”

City drew 3-3 with Coventry at home last season in a memorable clash and Parkinson is expecting another stern test.

He said: “That was a great game of football and a great advert for League One – entertaining with chances at both ends.

“They have signed some good players like Reda Johnson, Danny Pugh, Shaun Miller and Marcus Tudgay.

“They are rebuilding similar to ourselves and we’ve had them watched a couple of times in pre-season.

“We’ve got to concentrate on how we’re going to play and getting the best out of the players on the pitch.”

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:28am Fri 8 Aug 14

tyker7745 says...

Is Parky saying the budget is so severe that he is entering games with one hand, maybe two, tied behind his back!!
Is Parky saying the budget is so severe that he is entering games with one hand, maybe two, tied behind his back!! tyker7745
  • Score: -6

8:45am Fri 8 Aug 14

otleygent says...

I must say that this is starting to sound a bit worrying. A statement from Mr Lawn would be appreciated; he seems unusually quiet at the moment.
Still back us to whip Coventry's sorry backsides tomorrow!
I must say that this is starting to sound a bit worrying. A statement from Mr Lawn would be appreciated; he seems unusually quiet at the moment. Still back us to whip Coventry's sorry backsides tomorrow! otleygent
  • Score: 5

8:45am Fri 8 Aug 14

otleygent says...

I must say that this is starting to sound a bit worrying. A statement from Mr Lawn would be appreciated; he seems unusually quiet at the moment.
Still back us to whip Coventry's sorry backsides tomorrow!
I must say that this is starting to sound a bit worrying. A statement from Mr Lawn would be appreciated; he seems unusually quiet at the moment. Still back us to whip Coventry's sorry backsides tomorrow! otleygent
  • Score: 1

8:51am Fri 8 Aug 14

notpoliticallycorrect says...

The issue is purely down to financial housekeeping. We have some players on top money. If we spend £6K pw on McLean (312k pa), £5K pw on Davies (260k pa), £3.5K pw on Hanson (182k pa) and £3K pw on Darby (165K pa) then you can quickly get through a budget. With employers National Insurance contributions on top of just those 4 players wages we have spent £1Million pounds. That leaves just £1m to build a squad so assuming a squad of 20, less the four top earners = 16 players from the remaining £1M. ie. an average of £62kpa per player including NI. So around £1k pw max per player.

You have to take bonuses etc into account as well so you can quickly see where the money goes.

Given the above, the signing of McLean has really hampered the club especially as it triggered a clause in Davies's contract for a pay rise. I may be slightly out on the wages, but not by much.
The issue is purely down to financial housekeeping. We have some players on top money. If we spend £6K pw on McLean (312k pa), £5K pw on Davies (260k pa), £3.5K pw on Hanson (182k pa) and £3K pw on Darby (165K pa) then you can quickly get through a budget. With employers National Insurance contributions on top of just those 4 players wages we have spent £1Million pounds. That leaves just £1m to build a squad so assuming a squad of 20, less the four top earners = 16 players from the remaining £1M. ie. an average of £62kpa per player including NI. So around £1k pw max per player. You have to take bonuses etc into account as well so you can quickly see where the money goes. Given the above, the signing of McLean has really hampered the club especially as it triggered a clause in Davies's contract for a pay rise. I may be slightly out on the wages, but not by much. notpoliticallycorrect
  • Score: 8

8:59am Fri 8 Aug 14

notpoliticallycorrect says...

Just noticed this from an article on finance in football written in 2012 in 'Soccerlens' ;

"The average salary for a Championship player is £250,000, while League One and League Two players can expect to bring in £80,000 and £65,000 a year respectively."

Shows just how much it costs to run a club! Perhaps re-confirms our 'moment of madness' in signing McLean.
Just noticed this from an article on finance in football written in 2012 in 'Soccerlens' ; "The average salary for a Championship player is £250,000, while League One and League Two players can expect to bring in £80,000 and £65,000 a year respectively." Shows just how much it costs to run a club! Perhaps re-confirms our 'moment of madness' in signing McLean. notpoliticallycorrect
  • Score: 7

9:20am Fri 8 Aug 14

Farsley Bantam says...

notpoliticallycorrec
t
wrote:
Just noticed this from an article on finance in football written in 2012 in 'Soccerlens' ;

"The average salary for a Championship player is £250,000, while League One and League Two players can expect to bring in £80,000 and £65,000 a year respectively."

Shows just how much it costs to run a club! Perhaps re-confirms our 'moment of madness' in signing McLean.
If he starts banging the goals in left right and centre then the 'moment of madness' will be quickly forgotten about.
He was starting to come good towards the end of last season, a fact which seems to have been forgotten about by many.
I'm not his agent or anything like that but he came into a side that was struggling for form and was playing a style that simply didn't suit him.
He seems to have been written off entirely by a large section of the fans, mainly because he had the nerve to get injured despite being the highest earner at the club.
[quote][p][bold]notpoliticallycorrec t[/bold] wrote: Just noticed this from an article on finance in football written in 2012 in 'Soccerlens' ; "The average salary for a Championship player is £250,000, while League One and League Two players can expect to bring in £80,000 and £65,000 a year respectively." Shows just how much it costs to run a club! Perhaps re-confirms our 'moment of madness' in signing McLean.[/p][/quote]If he starts banging the goals in left right and centre then the 'moment of madness' will be quickly forgotten about. He was starting to come good towards the end of last season, a fact which seems to have been forgotten about by many. I'm not his agent or anything like that but he came into a side that was struggling for form and was playing a style that simply didn't suit him. He seems to have been written off entirely by a large section of the fans, mainly because he had the nerve to get injured despite being the highest earner at the club. Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 11

9:33am Fri 8 Aug 14

BD16 says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
notpoliticallycorrec

t
wrote:
Just noticed this from an article on finance in football written in 2012 in 'Soccerlens' ;

"The average salary for a Championship player is £250,000, while League One and League Two players can expect to bring in £80,000 and £65,000 a year respectively."

Shows just how much it costs to run a club! Perhaps re-confirms our 'moment of madness' in signing McLean.
If he starts banging the goals in left right and centre then the 'moment of madness' will be quickly forgotten about.
He was starting to come good towards the end of last season, a fact which seems to have been forgotten about by many.
I'm not his agent or anything like that but he came into a side that was struggling for form and was playing a style that simply didn't suit him.
He seems to have been written off entirely by a large section of the fans, mainly because he had the nerve to get injured despite being the highest earner at the club.
It's not about how good he is, it's about what we pay him. If he, and Davies, take up a large chunk of the budget there's less to spend on other players, therefore we have a shortage of numbers.

I think they're both good players who'll do a good job for us, when fit, but if we cannot fit there salaries into our budget then something's got to give. In this case we don't have enough players.
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notpoliticallycorrec t[/bold] wrote: Just noticed this from an article on finance in football written in 2012 in 'Soccerlens' ; "The average salary for a Championship player is £250,000, while League One and League Two players can expect to bring in £80,000 and £65,000 a year respectively." Shows just how much it costs to run a club! Perhaps re-confirms our 'moment of madness' in signing McLean.[/p][/quote]If he starts banging the goals in left right and centre then the 'moment of madness' will be quickly forgotten about. He was starting to come good towards the end of last season, a fact which seems to have been forgotten about by many. I'm not his agent or anything like that but he came into a side that was struggling for form and was playing a style that simply didn't suit him. He seems to have been written off entirely by a large section of the fans, mainly because he had the nerve to get injured despite being the highest earner at the club.[/p][/quote]It's not about how good he is, it's about what we pay him. If he, and Davies, take up a large chunk of the budget there's less to spend on other players, therefore we have a shortage of numbers. I think they're both good players who'll do a good job for us, when fit, but if we cannot fit there salaries into our budget then something's got to give. In this case we don't have enough players. BD16
  • Score: 3

9:37am Fri 8 Aug 14

Fancydan says...

So Mr Lawn despite you having a dig at fans for panicking and proclaiming we'd be fine for the start of the season. We are not. Great that.
So Mr Lawn despite you having a dig at fans for panicking and proclaiming we'd be fine for the start of the season. We are not. Great that. Fancydan
  • Score: 1

9:45am Fri 8 Aug 14

tyker7745 says...

Fancydan wrote:
So Mr Lawn despite you having a dig at fans for panicking and proclaiming we'd be fine for the start of the season. We are not. Great that.
Precisely. knowing that we had brought in an expensive player on wage which triggered another wage rise was it then reasonable to ask parky to manage on a significantly reduced budget?
[quote][p][bold]Fancydan[/bold] wrote: So Mr Lawn despite you having a dig at fans for panicking and proclaiming we'd be fine for the start of the season. We are not. Great that.[/p][/quote]Precisely. knowing that we had brought in an expensive player on wage which triggered another wage rise was it then reasonable to ask parky to manage on a significantly reduced budget? tyker7745
  • Score: -1

9:45am Fri 8 Aug 14

tyker7745 says...

Fancydan wrote:
So Mr Lawn despite you having a dig at fans for panicking and proclaiming we'd be fine for the start of the season. We are not. Great that.
Precisely. knowing that we had brought in an expensive player on wage which triggered another wage rise was it then reasonable to ask parky to manage on a significantly reduced budget?
[quote][p][bold]Fancydan[/bold] wrote: So Mr Lawn despite you having a dig at fans for panicking and proclaiming we'd be fine for the start of the season. We are not. Great that.[/p][/quote]Precisely. knowing that we had brought in an expensive player on wage which triggered another wage rise was it then reasonable to ask parky to manage on a significantly reduced budget? tyker7745
  • Score: -3

9:55am Fri 8 Aug 14

Danger Mouse Bantam says...

As stated by Parkinson..... The season is 9 months long. This is a base to start from and by the end of August more players will be in place. The club is being run on a sound financial footing. If it is the case and money needs to be released I'm sure it will be found further down the line. The majority of players he's brought in I'm guessing this a more an aim for having a good crack at it next season?
As stated by Parkinson..... The season is 9 months long. This is a base to start from and by the end of August more players will be in place. The club is being run on a sound financial footing. If it is the case and money needs to be released I'm sure it will be found further down the line. The majority of players he's brought in I'm guessing this a more an aim for having a good crack at it next season? Danger Mouse Bantam
  • Score: 8

9:57am Fri 8 Aug 14

gordon ramsay says...

This weekend we will struggle to fill he bench.... that has to be worrying

When you also consider we have 14 senior players of our own... including kennedy and yeates (who parky signed but clearly does not rate) .... then throw in the fact that davies and meredith have both missed half a season each for the last 2.... hansons injury at the end of last .... and the enigma that is mclean (biggest waste of money in a long long time).... anyone can see this is of great concern....

parky has said we are 5-6 short.... which sounds right... but then we say the budget is spent (??)

in all likelyhood we will cobble a few non contract bench fillers over the next few weeks then sort the longer loans end of aug/sept. if these players (with no budget remember) are poor then this season will be incredibly tough.

we may win tomorrow but its the months ahead that are the concern when injuries kick in.

i would love to be proved wrong but.....
This weekend we will struggle to fill he bench.... that has to be worrying When you also consider we have 14 senior players of our own... including kennedy and yeates (who parky signed but clearly does not rate) .... then throw in the fact that davies and meredith have both missed half a season each for the last 2.... hansons injury at the end of last .... and the enigma that is mclean (biggest waste of money in a long long time).... anyone can see this is of great concern.... parky has said we are 5-6 short.... which sounds right... but then we say the budget is spent (??) in all likelyhood we will cobble a few non contract bench fillers over the next few weeks then sort the longer loans end of aug/sept. if these players (with no budget remember) are poor then this season will be incredibly tough. we may win tomorrow but its the months ahead that are the concern when injuries kick in. i would love to be proved wrong but..... gordon ramsay
  • Score: -1

9:57am Fri 8 Aug 14

Farsley Bantam says...

BD16 wrote:
Farsley Bantam wrote:
notpoliticallycorrec


t
wrote:
Just noticed this from an article on finance in football written in 2012 in 'Soccerlens' ;

"The average salary for a Championship player is £250,000, while League One and League Two players can expect to bring in £80,000 and £65,000 a year respectively."

Shows just how much it costs to run a club! Perhaps re-confirms our 'moment of madness' in signing McLean.
If he starts banging the goals in left right and centre then the 'moment of madness' will be quickly forgotten about.
He was starting to come good towards the end of last season, a fact which seems to have been forgotten about by many.
I'm not his agent or anything like that but he came into a side that was struggling for form and was playing a style that simply didn't suit him.
He seems to have been written off entirely by a large section of the fans, mainly because he had the nerve to get injured despite being the highest earner at the club.
It's not about how good he is, it's about what we pay him. If he, and Davies, take up a large chunk of the budget there's less to spend on other players, therefore we have a shortage of numbers.

I think they're both good players who'll do a good job for us, when fit, but if we cannot fit there salaries into our budget then something's got to give. In this case we don't have enough players.
It's both though isn't it. If he gets 30 goals this season it will be money well spent. And if we get a full season out of Davies and he perfoms to his ability then yes it will be money well spent.
I admit it is a bit of a gamble to put a large chunk of your resources on just a few players but it's a risk worth taking in my opinion. Perhaps I am being a tad optimistic but I think our best 11 could sneak into the play offs this year.
[quote][p][bold]BD16[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notpoliticallycorrec t[/bold] wrote: Just noticed this from an article on finance in football written in 2012 in 'Soccerlens' ; "The average salary for a Championship player is £250,000, while League One and League Two players can expect to bring in £80,000 and £65,000 a year respectively." Shows just how much it costs to run a club! Perhaps re-confirms our 'moment of madness' in signing McLean.[/p][/quote]If he starts banging the goals in left right and centre then the 'moment of madness' will be quickly forgotten about. He was starting to come good towards the end of last season, a fact which seems to have been forgotten about by many. I'm not his agent or anything like that but he came into a side that was struggling for form and was playing a style that simply didn't suit him. He seems to have been written off entirely by a large section of the fans, mainly because he had the nerve to get injured despite being the highest earner at the club.[/p][/quote]It's not about how good he is, it's about what we pay him. If he, and Davies, take up a large chunk of the budget there's less to spend on other players, therefore we have a shortage of numbers. I think they're both good players who'll do a good job for us, when fit, but if we cannot fit there salaries into our budget then something's got to give. In this case we don't have enough players.[/p][/quote]It's both though isn't it. If he gets 30 goals this season it will be money well spent. And if we get a full season out of Davies and he perfoms to his ability then yes it will be money well spent. I admit it is a bit of a gamble to put a large chunk of your resources on just a few players but it's a risk worth taking in my opinion. Perhaps I am being a tad optimistic but I think our best 11 could sneak into the play offs this year. Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 5

10:06am Fri 8 Aug 14

jsummers96 says...

filipe Morais has joined on a short term contact
filipe Morais has joined on a short term contact jsummers96
  • Score: 0

10:07am Fri 8 Aug 14

jsummers96 says...

contract
contract jsummers96
  • Score: 0

10:15am Fri 8 Aug 14

Farsley Bantam says...

jsummers96 wrote:
filipe Morais has joined on a short term contact
Where did you hear that?
[quote][p][bold]jsummers96[/bold] wrote: filipe Morais has joined on a short term contact[/p][/quote]Where did you hear that? Farsley Bantam
  • Score: -1

10:16am Fri 8 Aug 14

Farsley Bantam says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
jsummers96 wrote:
filipe Morais has joined on a short term contact
Where did you hear that?
The T&A!!!
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jsummers96[/bold] wrote: filipe Morais has joined on a short term contact[/p][/quote]Where did you hear that?[/p][/quote]The T&A!!! Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 3

10:16am Fri 8 Aug 14

Danger Mouse Bantam says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
jsummers96 wrote:
filipe Morais has joined on a short term contact
Where did you hear that?
On Official Website....
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jsummers96[/bold] wrote: filipe Morais has joined on a short term contact[/p][/quote]Where did you hear that?[/p][/quote]On Official Website.... Danger Mouse Bantam
  • Score: 1

10:43am Fri 8 Aug 14

BD16 says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
BD16 wrote:
Farsley Bantam wrote:
notpoliticallycorrec



t
wrote:
Just noticed this from an article on finance in football written in 2012 in 'Soccerlens' ;

"The average salary for a Championship player is £250,000, while League One and League Two players can expect to bring in £80,000 and £65,000 a year respectively."

Shows just how much it costs to run a club! Perhaps re-confirms our 'moment of madness' in signing McLean.
If he starts banging the goals in left right and centre then the 'moment of madness' will be quickly forgotten about.
He was starting to come good towards the end of last season, a fact which seems to have been forgotten about by many.
I'm not his agent or anything like that but he came into a side that was struggling for form and was playing a style that simply didn't suit him.
He seems to have been written off entirely by a large section of the fans, mainly because he had the nerve to get injured despite being the highest earner at the club.
It's not about how good he is, it's about what we pay him. If he, and Davies, take up a large chunk of the budget there's less to spend on other players, therefore we have a shortage of numbers.

I think they're both good players who'll do a good job for us, when fit, but if we cannot fit there salaries into our budget then something's got to give. In this case we don't have enough players.
It's both though isn't it. If he gets 30 goals this season it will be money well spent. And if we get a full season out of Davies and he perfoms to his ability then yes it will be money well spent.
I admit it is a bit of a gamble to put a large chunk of your resources on just a few players but it's a risk worth taking in my opinion. Perhaps I am being a tad optimistic but I think our best 11 could sneak into the play offs this year.
Our best 11 probably would sneak into the play offs, but how many games will we actually get to use them? It's a squad game and unless we are incredibly lucky, with injuries/suspensions
, I think we'll get found out a bit at times this year.

No need to panic, I think we'll survive, but there's going to some tough times and we need to stick together.
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BD16[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notpoliticallycorrec t[/bold] wrote: Just noticed this from an article on finance in football written in 2012 in 'Soccerlens' ; "The average salary for a Championship player is £250,000, while League One and League Two players can expect to bring in £80,000 and £65,000 a year respectively." Shows just how much it costs to run a club! Perhaps re-confirms our 'moment of madness' in signing McLean.[/p][/quote]If he starts banging the goals in left right and centre then the 'moment of madness' will be quickly forgotten about. He was starting to come good towards the end of last season, a fact which seems to have been forgotten about by many. I'm not his agent or anything like that but he came into a side that was struggling for form and was playing a style that simply didn't suit him. He seems to have been written off entirely by a large section of the fans, mainly because he had the nerve to get injured despite being the highest earner at the club.[/p][/quote]It's not about how good he is, it's about what we pay him. If he, and Davies, take up a large chunk of the budget there's less to spend on other players, therefore we have a shortage of numbers. I think they're both good players who'll do a good job for us, when fit, but if we cannot fit there salaries into our budget then something's got to give. In this case we don't have enough players.[/p][/quote]It's both though isn't it. If he gets 30 goals this season it will be money well spent. And if we get a full season out of Davies and he perfoms to his ability then yes it will be money well spent. I admit it is a bit of a gamble to put a large chunk of your resources on just a few players but it's a risk worth taking in my opinion. Perhaps I am being a tad optimistic but I think our best 11 could sneak into the play offs this year.[/p][/quote]Our best 11 probably would sneak into the play offs, but how many games will we actually get to use them? It's a squad game and unless we are incredibly lucky, with injuries/suspensions , I think we'll get found out a bit at times this year. No need to panic, I think we'll survive, but there's going to some tough times and we need to stick together. BD16
  • Score: -2

10:51am Fri 8 Aug 14

Farsley Bantam says...

BD16 wrote:
Farsley Bantam wrote:
BD16 wrote:
Farsley Bantam wrote:
notpoliticallycorrec




t
wrote:
Just noticed this from an article on finance in football written in 2012 in 'Soccerlens' ;

"The average salary for a Championship player is £250,000, while League One and League Two players can expect to bring in £80,000 and £65,000 a year respectively."

Shows just how much it costs to run a club! Perhaps re-confirms our 'moment of madness' in signing McLean.
If he starts banging the goals in left right and centre then the 'moment of madness' will be quickly forgotten about.
He was starting to come good towards the end of last season, a fact which seems to have been forgotten about by many.
I'm not his agent or anything like that but he came into a side that was struggling for form and was playing a style that simply didn't suit him.
He seems to have been written off entirely by a large section of the fans, mainly because he had the nerve to get injured despite being the highest earner at the club.
It's not about how good he is, it's about what we pay him. If he, and Davies, take up a large chunk of the budget there's less to spend on other players, therefore we have a shortage of numbers.

I think they're both good players who'll do a good job for us, when fit, but if we cannot fit there salaries into our budget then something's got to give. In this case we don't have enough players.
It's both though isn't it. If he gets 30 goals this season it will be money well spent. And if we get a full season out of Davies and he perfoms to his ability then yes it will be money well spent.
I admit it is a bit of a gamble to put a large chunk of your resources on just a few players but it's a risk worth taking in my opinion. Perhaps I am being a tad optimistic but I think our best 11 could sneak into the play offs this year.
Our best 11 probably would sneak into the play offs, but how many games will we actually get to use them? It's a squad game and unless we are incredibly lucky, with injuries/suspensions

, I think we'll get found out a bit at times this year.

No need to panic, I think we'll survive, but there's going to some tough times and we need to stick together.
Agree with that. The season is balanced on a bit of a knife edge. Like you say a few injuries/suspensions to key players and the whole thing could collapse. Equally if they can stay fit and we get a run together then who knows.
The loanees/short term contract players that have joined or are yet to join are an unknown quantity. We could have unearthed some gems or just brought in dross.
Either way it won't be dull.
[quote][p][bold]BD16[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BD16[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notpoliticallycorrec t[/bold] wrote: Just noticed this from an article on finance in football written in 2012 in 'Soccerlens' ; "The average salary for a Championship player is £250,000, while League One and League Two players can expect to bring in £80,000 and £65,000 a year respectively." Shows just how much it costs to run a club! Perhaps re-confirms our 'moment of madness' in signing McLean.[/p][/quote]If he starts banging the goals in left right and centre then the 'moment of madness' will be quickly forgotten about. He was starting to come good towards the end of last season, a fact which seems to have been forgotten about by many. I'm not his agent or anything like that but he came into a side that was struggling for form and was playing a style that simply didn't suit him. He seems to have been written off entirely by a large section of the fans, mainly because he had the nerve to get injured despite being the highest earner at the club.[/p][/quote]It's not about how good he is, it's about what we pay him. If he, and Davies, take up a large chunk of the budget there's less to spend on other players, therefore we have a shortage of numbers. I think they're both good players who'll do a good job for us, when fit, but if we cannot fit there salaries into our budget then something's got to give. In this case we don't have enough players.[/p][/quote]It's both though isn't it. If he gets 30 goals this season it will be money well spent. And if we get a full season out of Davies and he perfoms to his ability then yes it will be money well spent. I admit it is a bit of a gamble to put a large chunk of your resources on just a few players but it's a risk worth taking in my opinion. Perhaps I am being a tad optimistic but I think our best 11 could sneak into the play offs this year.[/p][/quote]Our best 11 probably would sneak into the play offs, but how many games will we actually get to use them? It's a squad game and unless we are incredibly lucky, with injuries/suspensions , I think we'll get found out a bit at times this year. No need to panic, I think we'll survive, but there's going to some tough times and we need to stick together.[/p][/quote]Agree with that. The season is balanced on a bit of a knife edge. Like you say a few injuries/suspensions to key players and the whole thing could collapse. Equally if they can stay fit and we get a run together then who knows. The loanees/short term contract players that have joined or are yet to join are an unknown quantity. We could have unearthed some gems or just brought in dross. Either way it won't be dull. Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 2

11:34am Fri 8 Aug 14

spearmint wino says...

Still say the ST price should have gone up. What about the club asking each ST holder for a voluntary £10/20 contribution direct to the managers budget might raise £100k we could maybe get two L1 players for that?
Still say the ST price should have gone up. What about the club asking each ST holder for a voluntary £10/20 contribution direct to the managers budget might raise £100k we could maybe get two L1 players for that? spearmint wino
  • Score: -2

12:27pm Fri 8 Aug 14

lawsonio123 says...

It is to early to say how things will go this season let us get the first few games over before coming to any sort of conclusion Parky has obviously not yet got what he needs for one reason or another but just let us wait and se how it goes MEANWHILE GET RIGHT BEHIND THIS NEW TEAM
It is to early to say how things will go this season let us get the first few games over before coming to any sort of conclusion Parky has obviously not yet got what he needs for one reason or another but just let us wait and se how it goes MEANWHILE GET RIGHT BEHIND THIS NEW TEAM lawsonio123
  • Score: 0

12:32pm Fri 8 Aug 14

lawsonio123 says...

spearmint wino wrote:
Still say the ST price should have gone up. What about the club asking each ST holder for a voluntary £10/20 contribution direct to the managers budget might raise £100k we could maybe get two L1 players for that?
Get out the begging bowl Let the club issue shares and they will get all the money they need
[quote][p][bold]spearmint wino[/bold] wrote: Still say the ST price should have gone up. What about the club asking each ST holder for a voluntary £10/20 contribution direct to the managers budget might raise £100k we could maybe get two L1 players for that?[/p][/quote]Get out the begging bowl Let the club issue shares and they will get all the money they need lawsonio123
  • Score: 1

7:00pm Fri 8 Aug 14

Michael Clayton says...

A win tomorrow and there will be promotion talk.

A heavy defeat will bring the opposite reaction.

Lets see how fickle the fans are come 5 pm on Saturday.
A win tomorrow and there will be promotion talk. A heavy defeat will bring the opposite reaction. Lets see how fickle the fans are come 5 pm on Saturday. Michael Clayton
  • Score: 3

8:40pm Fri 8 Aug 14

lonniejockstrap says...

Michael Clayton wrote:
A win tomorrow and there will be promotion talk.

A heavy defeat will bring the opposite reaction.

Lets see how fickle the fans are come 5 pm on Saturday.
I'm with you there Lonnie............er
m, I mean Michael.
[quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: A win tomorrow and there will be promotion talk. A heavy defeat will bring the opposite reaction. Lets see how fickle the fans are come 5 pm on Saturday.[/p][/quote]I'm with you there Lonnie............er m, I mean Michael. lonniejockstrap
  • Score: 0

9:09pm Fri 8 Aug 14

dannbradfc says...

lonniejockstrap wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
A win tomorrow and there will be promotion talk.

A heavy defeat will bring the opposite reaction.

Lets see how fickle the fans are come 5 pm on Saturday.
I'm with you there Lonnie............er

m, I mean Michael.
10 games in before judging but that's not accounting injuries.

Those who werey saying don't panic needt to eat their words. ....parky worried about numbers for the first game is wrong. Even the extra players brought in this week can leave if they perform well and are offered something better elsewhere
[quote][p][bold]lonniejockstrap[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: A win tomorrow and there will be promotion talk. A heavy defeat will bring the opposite reaction. Lets see how fickle the fans are come 5 pm on Saturday.[/p][/quote]I'm with you there Lonnie............er m, I mean Michael.[/p][/quote]10 games in before judging but that's not accounting injuries. Those who werey saying don't panic needt to eat their words. ....parky worried about numbers for the first game is wrong. Even the extra players brought in this week can leave if they perform well and are offered something better elsewhere dannbradfc
  • Score: 0

11:20pm Fri 8 Aug 14

lonniejockstrap says...

dannbradfc wrote:
lonniejockstrap wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
A win tomorrow and there will be promotion talk.

A heavy defeat will bring the opposite reaction.

Lets see how fickle the fans are come 5 pm on Saturday.
I'm with you there Lonnie............er


m, I mean Michael.
10 games in before judging but that's not accounting injuries.

Those who werey saying don't panic needt to eat their words. ....parky worried about numbers for the first game is wrong. Even the extra players brought in this week can leave if they perform well and are offered something better elsewhere
Parky has been waiting for some season long loans to materialise. They haven't been sorted yet so he is covering the numbers by non-contract and short-term contracts until those season long loan targets either come to fruition or fall through. Would you prefer that Parky give those players signed on non-contract deals be given a years contract and possibly scupper his chance of getting his main targets at the end of August because they would no longer be affordable? Parky is quoted above as saying: “We targeted a few players to come in during the summer on long-term loans. For whatever reason, they haven’t quite fallen into place yet but there is the possibility they will do in the next week or so.”

Why should those of us that refuse to panic eat our words? There is no need to panic when we have such competent people making decisions at Board, Chairmen and Team Management level. We just need to trust and support them.
[quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lonniejockstrap[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: A win tomorrow and there will be promotion talk. A heavy defeat will bring the opposite reaction. Lets see how fickle the fans are come 5 pm on Saturday.[/p][/quote]I'm with you there Lonnie............er m, I mean Michael.[/p][/quote]10 games in before judging but that's not accounting injuries. Those who werey saying don't panic needt to eat their words. ....parky worried about numbers for the first game is wrong. Even the extra players brought in this week can leave if they perform well and are offered something better elsewhere[/p][/quote]Parky has been waiting for some season long loans to materialise. They haven't been sorted yet so he is covering the numbers by non-contract and short-term contracts until those season long loan targets either come to fruition or fall through. Would you prefer that Parky give those players signed on non-contract deals be given a years contract and possibly scupper his chance of getting his main targets at the end of August because they would no longer be affordable? Parky is quoted above as saying: “We targeted a few players to come in during the summer on long-term loans. For whatever reason, they haven’t quite fallen into place yet but there is the possibility they will do in the next week or so.” Why should those of us that refuse to panic eat our words? There is no need to panic when we have such competent people making decisions at Board, Chairmen and Team Management level. We just need to trust and support them. lonniejockstrap
  • Score: 2

3:27am Sat 9 Aug 14

nigel007 says...

lonniejockstrap wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote: A win tomorrow and there will be promotion talk. A heavy defeat will bring the opposite reaction. Lets see how fickle the fans are come 5 pm on Saturday.
I'm with you there Lonnie............er m, I mean Michael.
Lets get ready for a 1-1 draw. Sorry folks.....where will that leave us? Mid table for the next year. Think we should get ben williams for.a year contract. Check out his saves on youtubei in 2012,2013 for hibs. Especially against celtic. Hes a keeper!
[quote][p][bold]lonniejockstrap[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: A win tomorrow and there will be promotion talk. A heavy defeat will bring the opposite reaction. Lets see how fickle the fans are come 5 pm on Saturday.[/p][/quote]I'm with you there Lonnie............er m, I mean Michael.[/p][/quote]Lets get ready for a 1-1 draw. Sorry folks.....where will that leave us? Mid table for the next year. Think we should get ben williams for.a year contract. Check out his saves on youtubei in 2012,2013 for hibs. Especially against celtic. Hes a keeper! nigel007
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree