Ossett Town 2, City XI 0

FARSLEY'S loss turned out to be Ossett Town's gain last night as their Evo-Stik League rivals cashed in on a visit from City.

All right, it wasn't a proper City that Phil Parkinson sent to the Ingfield Stadium – far from it. But that did not put off a sizeable away turn-out and the bar tills rang merrily.

Ossett had been expecting a crowd of 100 at best for the planned youth friendly. Instead it looked five times that after the Farsley first-team clash was axed because of concerns over the Throstle Nest pitch.

But any travelling fans looking to catch a first glimpse of new goalkeeper Jordan Pickford were disappointed.

Pickford had trained with the squad in the morning at Apperley Bridge but he was spared playing duty in a side that consisted mainly of youngsters and trialist hopefuls.

Instead Jay Lynch, who was released by Bolton at the end of last season, started between the City posts. He was replaced at the break by another wannabe – Matt Urwin, formerly of Blackburn.

The second-half keeper did not cover himself in glory with his role in the opening goal as Ossett ran out winners on and off the pitch.

In winger Reggie Lambe, there was a Bermudian in City colours for the first time since you know who joined Huddersfield in January. But he was nothing to do with the RIASA programme.

Right back Stuart Bramley, from Newcastle, had recently been playing his football in Dallas. French centre half Christophe Routis was formerly with Swiss club Servette.

The only seniors on display were Raffaele De Vita, still trying to use every opportunity to catch the eye, Matt Taylor, Jason Kennedy and James Meredith.

De Vita was playing just behind youth striker Joe Brennan, with right-footed Lambe cutting inside from the left flank.

It was Kennedy who had the first chance, rattling the advertising board behind the goal after ten minutes.

De Vita went closer with a fierce left-footer past the far post after Callum Chippendale's corner was half-cleared by former City youth player Nathan Curtis.

Kennedy nutmegged Nick Wood before picking out Lambe 12 yards out but his shot was straight at keeper Sam Dobbs.

Ossett's main attacking threat came from Rob Bordman, who had scored 59 goals in two seasons for Wakefield. He sent one effort wide before giving Lynch his first chance to make a save ten minutes before the break.

Kennedy fired another shot over but the best chance of the half fell to the home side right on half-time as Ross Armstrong's half-volley nicked off a City leg and looped past the post with Lynch beaten.

Lynch made way for Urwin for the second half, although neither stopper looked particularly tall. Taylor and Bramley's night was also done.

Taylor, who was pressing an ice pack on his foot as a precaution, was replaced by Richard Bryan – who had played well in the first half of the Guiseley opening friendly.

City prepared to bring off Meredith and Kennedy midway through the half but, before the changes could be made, they found themselves behind to a bolt from the blue.

Bordman lined up a free-kick 35 yards out and 'gave the keeper the eyes'. With the Ossett red shirts massing in the penalty area, the striker instead thumped a shot goalwards and it caught out Unwin to sail into the net.

It was a well-struck effort but an embarrassment for the out-of-position trial keeper to be beaten at his near post from such a long way out.

Routis nodded over from a City set-piece and then prolific youth scorer Reece Webb-Foster was denied by the woodwork.

A quick free-kick from James Pollard played him in and the striker's lob cleared replacement keeper Brad Dixon and bounced back off the bar.

But Ossett made sure of their victory nine minutes from time when Luke Blackburn slid home the rebound after Urwin had blocked at the feet of Joe O'Neill.

City were denied a last-minute consolation when Lambe's header was superbly tipped over.

City: Lynch (Urwin 46), Bramley (Pollard 46), Taylor (Bryan 46), Routis (King 80), Meredith (Heaton 65), Kennedy (Devine 65), Wright, Lambe, Chippendale, De Vita (Jenkinson 72), Brennan (Webb-Foster 70).