Bradford City: Missing Mclean a real pain for Parkinson

Aaron Mclean is making slow progress from his calf injury

Aaron Mclean is making slow progress from his calf injury

First published in Sport

PHIL Parkinson has voiced his frustration at Aaron Mclean's on-going absence from pre-season.

The striker has yet to appear in any of City's friendlies so far and again sat out the 4-0 win over Shelbourne that finished off their week in Ireland.

Mclean suffered a tight calf in training before the start of the warm-up games and his recovery continues to be slow. He will not be ready to feature at Farsley tomorrow.

Parkinson said: "It's taking longer to clear up than we first anticipated. It's frustrating for us all because we need to get him out there.

"But we've still got three weeks to go (before the first league game). There's nothing we can do about it. It is obviously frustrating but we've just got to get him right."

Having returned from the Dublin training camp, Parkinson today plans to sit down for further recruitment talks with joint-chairman Julian Rhodes.

Top of the agenda is likely to be the situation regarding the goalkeeping position and Jon McLaughlin. The future of Angelo Balanta and Nick Arnold, the two trialists who went away with the squad, will also be discussed.

McLaughlin hardly had a save to make as a strong City side crushed Saturday's hosts, who were mainly made up of youngsters and trialists.

Billy Clarke, playing off James Hanson in attack, scored twice after Alan Sheehan had netted the opener with a penalty. Raffaele De Vita fired the fourth in his quest to earn another contract.

Parkinson said: "I thought we played some good football. It took us a while to get the first goal but we always looked like we could score.

"A couple of lads who missed training during the week needed the game more than the others. But it was a good end to the trip.

"Billy Clarke scoring two is a big bonus for us. He is a very creative player but he's also got that ability, so I was pleased with him."

City predictably enjoyed long spells of pressure in the Shelbourne half but Parkinson also had praise for the discipline of Gary Liddle in anchoring the midfield.

He said: "I thought Gaz did a really good job in that holding role. He just goes about his job and does the simple things well.

"He's a good talker and knitted everything together. He fed the ball in to the likes of (Matty) Dolan, Billy Knott and Yeatesy (Mark Yeates) and had an excellent game."

Defender Andrew Davies insisted the week away remains a crucial part in building up for the new season.

"Ireland's always a good trip and it's one that we've all benefited from," he said.

"It's important to get all the lads together and spend some time getting to know the new boys."

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:23am Mon 21 Jul 14

Freddy says...

The way matters concerning City so far, appear to be showing a cause for concern. It is classic pre-season problems, but this year I do not feel as confident. I hope I am wrong. There is not that exciting anticipation, that normally precedes the start, in three weeks time.
'Parky' has a lot of talking , and negotiating to complete, when talking to the Chair today. Perhaps, with the half million player budget reduction, this could be some of the reason for my concern ; and the compounding reason for 'Parky's' problems --to date.
The way matters concerning City so far, appear to be showing a cause for concern. It is classic pre-season problems, but this year I do not feel as confident. I hope I am wrong. There is not that exciting anticipation, that normally precedes the start, in three weeks time. 'Parky' has a lot of talking , and negotiating to complete, when talking to the Chair today. Perhaps, with the half million player budget reduction, this could be some of the reason for my concern ; and the compounding reason for 'Parky's' problems --to date. Freddy
  • Score: 1

9:49am Mon 21 Jul 14

dannbradfc says...

Freddy wrote:
The way matters concerning City so far, appear to be showing a cause for concern. It is classic pre-season problems, but this year I do not feel as confident. I hope I am wrong. There is not that exciting anticipation, that normally precedes the start, in three weeks time.
'Parky' has a lot of talking , and negotiating to complete, when talking to the Chair today. Perhaps, with the half million player budget reduction, this could be some of the reason for my concern ; and the compounding reason for 'Parky's' problems --to date.
I expect a couple more signings to come, probrably long term loan deals. I'm a little surprised that kennedy is still here and perhaps Taylor tbh. This would free up space. The form of Clarkson as potentially given us a back-up for the strikers. I'd still like another in though. its keepers and out wide that also definately need sorting.

As for optimism and excitement, i think it is very exciting to see how our 'new' style of playing will pan-out. How we do is very up in the air and difficult to predict. This creates its own anticipation for me. The 'head' is saying it will be a similar finish but the heart hopes we will be nearer the play-offs. I'm ignoring my anxiety that we could struggle ;-)
[quote][p][bold]Freddy[/bold] wrote: The way matters concerning City so far, appear to be showing a cause for concern. It is classic pre-season problems, but this year I do not feel as confident. I hope I am wrong. There is not that exciting anticipation, that normally precedes the start, in three weeks time. 'Parky' has a lot of talking , and negotiating to complete, when talking to the Chair today. Perhaps, with the half million player budget reduction, this could be some of the reason for my concern ; and the compounding reason for 'Parky's' problems --to date.[/p][/quote]I expect a couple more signings to come, probrably long term loan deals. I'm a little surprised that kennedy is still here and perhaps Taylor tbh. This would free up space. The form of Clarkson as potentially given us a back-up for the strikers. I'd still like another in though. its keepers and out wide that also definately need sorting. As for optimism and excitement, i think it is very exciting to see how our 'new' style of playing will pan-out. How we do is very up in the air and difficult to predict. This creates its own anticipation for me. The 'head' is saying it will be a similar finish but the heart hopes we will be nearer the play-offs. I'm ignoring my anxiety that we could struggle ;-) dannbradfc
  • Score: 8

10:13am Mon 21 Jul 14

Peter300 says...

Freddy wrote:
The way matters concerning City so far, appear to be showing a cause for concern. It is classic pre-season problems, but this year I do not feel as confident. I hope I am wrong. There is not that exciting anticipation, that normally precedes the start, in three weeks time.
'Parky' has a lot of talking , and negotiating to complete, when talking to the Chair today. Perhaps, with the half million player budget reduction, this could be some of the reason for my concern ; and the compounding reason for 'Parky's' problems --to date.
And what about the training Freddy? This is usually your area of interest. Hopefully you will have recovered from your big mistake last season.
[quote][p][bold]Freddy[/bold] wrote: The way matters concerning City so far, appear to be showing a cause for concern. It is classic pre-season problems, but this year I do not feel as confident. I hope I am wrong. There is not that exciting anticipation, that normally precedes the start, in three weeks time. 'Parky' has a lot of talking , and negotiating to complete, when talking to the Chair today. Perhaps, with the half million player budget reduction, this could be some of the reason for my concern ; and the compounding reason for 'Parky's' problems --to date.[/p][/quote]And what about the training Freddy? This is usually your area of interest. Hopefully you will have recovered from your big mistake last season. Peter300
  • Score: -4

11:08am Mon 21 Jul 14

pokertee says...

we are going to end up top 8 this season i am sure. And with a bit of luck we will finish top 3. Remember i said it first. ;-)
we are going to end up top 8 this season i am sure. And with a bit of luck we will finish top 3. Remember i said it first. ;-) pokertee
  • Score: 5

12:12pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Papa Smurfs Wig says...

It sounds like Parky is getting frustrated with McLean but Sharp seems to be living up to his name and Clarkson is knocking on the door. If McLean doesn't get fixed soon then he might find himself in a queue but l'd think Parky would play him when fit just to make it seem a decent signing.

The JMac situation needs sorting sharpish. The clock is ticking.

Then we have the winger situation. Parky might have plans like trying to get Reach back.

I just hope we don't get left up the Khyber without a paddle.
It sounds like Parky is getting frustrated with McLean but Sharp seems to be living up to his name and Clarkson is knocking on the door. If McLean doesn't get fixed soon then he might find himself in a queue but l'd think Parky would play him when fit just to make it seem a decent signing. The JMac situation needs sorting sharpish. The clock is ticking. Then we have the winger situation. Parky might have plans like trying to get Reach back. I just hope we don't get left up the Khyber without a paddle. Papa Smurfs Wig
  • Score: 3

12:42pm Mon 21 Jul 14

BigFigure says...

Papa Smurfs Wig wrote:
It sounds like Parky is getting frustrated with McLean but Sharp seems to be living up to his name and Clarkson is knocking on the door. If McLean doesn't get fixed soon then he might find himself in a queue but l'd think Parky would play him when fit just to make it seem a decent signing.

The JMac situation needs sorting sharpish. The clock is ticking.

Then we have the winger situation. Parky might have plans like trying to get Reach back.

I just hope we don't get left up the Khyber without a paddle.
Who is this Sharp of whom you speak?
[quote][p][bold]Papa Smurfs Wig[/bold] wrote: It sounds like Parky is getting frustrated with McLean but Sharp seems to be living up to his name and Clarkson is knocking on the door. If McLean doesn't get fixed soon then he might find himself in a queue but l'd think Parky would play him when fit just to make it seem a decent signing. The JMac situation needs sorting sharpish. The clock is ticking. Then we have the winger situation. Parky might have plans like trying to get Reach back. I just hope we don't get left up the Khyber without a paddle.[/p][/quote]Who is this Sharp of whom you speak? BigFigure
  • Score: 2

1:40pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Farsley Bantam says...

BigFigure wrote:
Papa Smurfs Wig wrote:
It sounds like Parky is getting frustrated with McLean but Sharp seems to be living up to his name and Clarkson is knocking on the door. If McLean doesn't get fixed soon then he might find himself in a queue but l'd think Parky would play him when fit just to make it seem a decent signing.

The JMac situation needs sorting sharpish. The clock is ticking.

Then we have the winger situation. Parky might have plans like trying to get Reach back.

I just hope we don't get left up the Khyber without a paddle.
Who is this Sharp of whom you speak?
I think he means Billy Clarke. I made the same mistake and convinced myself we'd signed Billy Sharpe. I was a bit gutted when I realised my mistake!
[quote][p][bold]BigFigure[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Papa Smurfs Wig[/bold] wrote: It sounds like Parky is getting frustrated with McLean but Sharp seems to be living up to his name and Clarkson is knocking on the door. If McLean doesn't get fixed soon then he might find himself in a queue but l'd think Parky would play him when fit just to make it seem a decent signing. The JMac situation needs sorting sharpish. The clock is ticking. Then we have the winger situation. Parky might have plans like trying to get Reach back. I just hope we don't get left up the Khyber without a paddle.[/p][/quote]Who is this Sharp of whom you speak?[/p][/quote]I think he means Billy Clarke. I made the same mistake and convinced myself we'd signed Billy Sharpe. I was a bit gutted when I realised my mistake! Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 1

5:06pm Mon 21 Jul 14

lawsonio123 says...

The Mclean situation is not a happy one I hope we are not left with a player who is no longer up to it any longer .for her has yet to prove he is the goods hopefully he will recover and begin to repay Parkys faith in him to give City a happy outcome
The Mclean situation is not a happy one I hope we are not left with a player who is no longer up to it any longer .for her has yet to prove he is the goods hopefully he will recover and begin to repay Parkys faith in him to give City a happy outcome lawsonio123
  • Score: 0

9:38pm Mon 21 Jul 14

torreyman says...

Mclean is a pain with him or without him along with Andy Gray two of the worst ever signings but we all make mistakes
Mclean is a pain with him or without him along with Andy Gray two of the worst ever signings but we all make mistakes torreyman
  • Score: -1

10:37pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Waynus1971 says...

torreyman wrote:
Mclean is a pain with him or without him along with Andy Gray two of the worst ever signings but we all make mistakes
What absolute tosh! His hold up play and support of his colleagues was there for all to see last season. He showed an intelligence with back to goal and helped create for others.

Once he and Hanson were no longer a partnership, he started scoring. He may have more to offer and may still not be what some of our fans wanted, but to call him "one of our worst ever signings" is plain stupid.

Continue writing your football knowledge down. I'm sure the back of a postage stamp will be sufficient space!!!!
[quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: Mclean is a pain with him or without him along with Andy Gray two of the worst ever signings but we all make mistakes[/p][/quote]What absolute tosh! His hold up play and support of his colleagues was there for all to see last season. He showed an intelligence with back to goal and helped create for others. Once he and Hanson were no longer a partnership, he started scoring. He may have more to offer and may still not be what some of our fans wanted, but to call him "one of our worst ever signings" is plain stupid. Continue writing your football knowledge down. I'm sure the back of a postage stamp will be sufficient space!!!! Waynus1971
  • Score: 0

11:48pm Mon 21 Jul 14

torreyman says...

Sorry Waynus 1971 I can not agree they are both has beens but I hear what you say and respect it we can not all think the same way
Sorry Waynus 1971 I can not agree they are both has beens but I hear what you say and respect it we can not all think the same way torreyman
  • Score: 2

10:36am Tue 22 Jul 14

lawsonio123 says...

torreyman wrote:
Mclean is a pain with him or without him along with Andy Gray two of the worst ever signings but we all make mistakes
The Jury is certainly out on him BUT lets wait a while before coming to a verdict everyone should be given a fair chance so please give him one Having said this as of now i would say a poor signing BUT lets give him a bit of leeway before we write him off I wish him luck
[quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: Mclean is a pain with him or without him along with Andy Gray two of the worst ever signings but we all make mistakes[/p][/quote]The Jury is certainly out on him BUT lets wait a while before coming to a verdict everyone should be given a fair chance so please give him one Having said this as of now i would say a poor signing BUT lets give him a bit of leeway before we write him off I wish him luck lawsonio123
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree