Bradford City boss Phil Parkinson scouring Premier League for loan signings

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Premier League loan duo Blair Turgott (West Ham) jumps on Curtis Good (Newcastle) after City beat  Aston Villa over two legs to reach the Capital One Cup final Premier League loan duo Blair Turgott (West Ham) jumps on Curtis Good (Newcastle) after City beat Aston Villa over two legs to reach the Capital One Cup final

CITY boss Phil Parkinson will again tap into his vast array of contacts as he continues his search for further new recruits.

Parkinson is a close friend of Newcastle boss Alan Pardew and is also well respected at Arsenal, having worked for the club in a scouting role before taking over at Valley Parade.

The Bantams boss is eyeing the prospect of snapping up Premier League players on loan and he says his contacts could prove invaluable.

Parkinson said: “We are looking to bring in a couple of long-term signings this year and that might not happen until well into pre-season.

“We are working hard to secure that and I speak to Premier League managers all the time.

“I get a lot of positive feedback but generally the same message is that clubs want their players to do pre-season with them and they will then make decisions on them.

“There is an element of risk waiting for those players but, as long as we’ve got the core of the squad in place, then we can afford to do that.”

Parkinson is currently on holiday but his phone remains switched on and he will keep beavering away in his quest for new faces.

“I’ve got a lot of contacts because I’ve been in football for a long time,” he added.

“I speak to managers every single day and have got good connections at Arsenal, so it’s just about keeping tabs on who might become available.

“The World Cup does complicate things slightly but it’s about getting the green light from another manager and then talking the player into coming here. That’s my job.”

Parkinson previously signed Blair Turgott, Curtis Good and John Egan on loan from West Ham, Newcastle and Sunderland respectively, with Turgott and Good playing major parts in City's incredible run to the Capital One Cup final in 2013.

Comments (32)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:14am Fri 20 Jun 14

dannbradfc says...

I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality.

'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle.

The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time.

In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)
I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality. 'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle. The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time. In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;) dannbradfc
  • Score: 6

9:19am Fri 20 Jun 14

dannbradfc says...

Ps didn't see the other t and a headline about squad size. Thus i think Parky recognises the problem which isn't his fault but one of finances......
Ps didn't see the other t and a headline about squad size. Thus i think Parky recognises the problem which isn't his fault but one of finances...... dannbradfc
  • Score: -14

9:54am Fri 20 Jun 14

BradfordSportsFan says...

How many times does the "good connections at Arsenal" line appear....yet we've never signed a loanee from them?!

Unless he's actually going to sign someone from them I think he should keep schtum, it sounds a bit desperate.
How many times does the "good connections at Arsenal" line appear....yet we've never signed a loanee from them?! Unless he's actually going to sign someone from them I think he should keep schtum, it sounds a bit desperate. BradfordSportsFan
  • Score: 7

9:59am Fri 20 Jun 14

whisky1 says...

dannbradfc wrote:
I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality. 'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle. The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time. In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)
There is really not a great deal to be gained from rehashing last seasons arguments. I am sure PP was disappointed overall with the Summer 2013 recruitment but you really do have to look at the whole picture and on any sensible view his tenure has been overwhelmingly positive. As in any business its about getting judgements right most of the time. You are never going to get every decision right. There is still time for a player like Yeates to shine who has undoubted ability. Its important to give your club the benefit of the doubt be positive and constructive where you can and ENJOY the journey. Its a bit early to be worrying!
[quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality. 'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle. The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time. In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)[/p][/quote]There is really not a great deal to be gained from rehashing last seasons arguments. I am sure PP was disappointed overall with the Summer 2013 recruitment but you really do have to look at the whole picture and on any sensible view his tenure has been overwhelmingly positive. As in any business its about getting judgements right most of the time. You are never going to get every decision right. There is still time for a player like Yeates to shine who has undoubted ability. Its important to give your club the benefit of the doubt be positive and constructive where you can and ENJOY the journey. Its a bit early to be worrying! whisky1
  • Score: 6

10:24am Fri 20 Jun 14

Peter300 says...

dannbradfc wrote:
I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality.

'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle.

The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time.

In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)
Yes, you are negative. So you've got that right. Really, you are just summing-up what happens at most other clubs. Just about every signing is a gamble and nobody knows how the season will progress. Still people like you are always wise after the event. So you can enjoy pointing out all the bad signings made now in the summer of 2015!
[quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality. 'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle. The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time. In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)[/p][/quote]Yes, you are negative. So you've got that right. Really, you are just summing-up what happens at most other clubs. Just about every signing is a gamble and nobody knows how the season will progress. Still people like you are always wise after the event. So you can enjoy pointing out all the bad signings made now in the summer of 2015! Peter300
  • Score: -7

11:51am Fri 20 Jun 14

Statler4 says...

BradfordSportsFan wrote:
How many times does the "good connections at Arsenal" line appear....yet we've never signed a loanee from them?!

Unless he's actually going to sign someone from them I think he should keep schtum, it sounds a bit desperate.
We don't need to sign anyone from them for Parky's connections to bear fruit. They can point him in the direction of players they think might be of use to us even if they don't play for Arsenal. That's how connections work in life and football.
[quote][p][bold]BradfordSportsFan[/bold] wrote: How many times does the "good connections at Arsenal" line appear....yet we've never signed a loanee from them?! Unless he's actually going to sign someone from them I think he should keep schtum, it sounds a bit desperate.[/p][/quote]We don't need to sign anyone from them for Parky's connections to bear fruit. They can point him in the direction of players they think might be of use to us even if they don't play for Arsenal. That's how connections work in life and football. Statler4
  • Score: 7

12:28pm Fri 20 Jun 14

dannbradfc says...

Peter 300 there with another amazing contribution (which was negative by the way)......my post is actually an attempt at putting perspective at our current position and counter some of the ridiculous claims made on Facebook etc. Fans are saying we will get promoted, in the play offs. That the new signings are quality etc......These fans will be the first to moan when these expectations fail to arise. Few fans will probably no anything about the signings in reality. Waynus is actually very good in this area by the way........the fact is we are spending less so why should that equate to achieving more? Please answer this. ...... I've said before that we could get more points by having a greater emphasis on attack which apparently we are going to. However the squad is threadbare and we are spending less. This will gradually be addressed squad size wise but where the over optimism comes from is pure wishful thinking and not based on the reality of the situation at present. It's not negative to be realistic and balanced. ....... again how can spending less achieve more? As every club in the world would want the answer. ....
Peter 300 there with another amazing contribution (which was negative by the way)......my post is actually an attempt at putting perspective at our current position and counter some of the ridiculous claims made on Facebook etc. Fans are saying we will get promoted, in the play offs. That the new signings are quality etc......These fans will be the first to moan when these expectations fail to arise. Few fans will probably no anything about the signings in reality. Waynus is actually very good in this area by the way........the fact is we are spending less so why should that equate to achieving more? Please answer this. ...... I've said before that we could get more points by having a greater emphasis on attack which apparently we are going to. However the squad is threadbare and we are spending less. This will gradually be addressed squad size wise but where the over optimism comes from is pure wishful thinking and not based on the reality of the situation at present. It's not negative to be realistic and balanced. ....... again how can spending less achieve more? As every club in the world would want the answer. .... dannbradfc
  • Score: -4

12:40pm Fri 20 Jun 14

dcbantam says...

I see Sheehan as a good signing, experienced at this level without being too old, good set pieces and hopefully more defensibly responsible than Meredith but a bit more adventurous than Drury.

On the subject of Meredith, it strikes me as hugely disrespectful that he has not signed an improved deal with the club that took a gamble on a player that had never played League 2 football at the time of purchase and then for us to take another gamble and stick with him at League 1 level. Without the injury he would have probably gone to the World Cup which would have seemed a million miles away when he was in non-league with York.
I see Sheehan as a good signing, experienced at this level without being too old, good set pieces and hopefully more defensibly responsible than Meredith but a bit more adventurous than Drury. On the subject of Meredith, it strikes me as hugely disrespectful that he has not signed an improved deal with the club that took a gamble on a player that had never played League 2 football at the time of purchase and then for us to take another gamble and stick with him at League 1 level. Without the injury he would have probably gone to the World Cup which would have seemed a million miles away when he was in non-league with York. dcbantam
  • Score: 8

12:42pm Fri 20 Jun 14

tyker7745 says...

dannbradfc wrote:
Peter 300 there with another amazing contribution (which was negative by the way)......my post is actually an attempt at putting perspective at our current position and counter some of the ridiculous claims made on Facebook etc. Fans are saying we will get promoted, in the play offs. That the new signings are quality etc......These fans will be the first to moan when these expectations fail to arise. Few fans will probably no anything about the signings in reality. Waynus is actually very good in this area by the way........the fact is we are spending less so why should that equate to achieving more? Please answer this. ...... I've said before that we could get more points by having a greater emphasis on attack which apparently we are going to. However the squad is threadbare and we are spending less. This will gradually be addressed squad size wise but where the over optimism comes from is pure wishful thinking and not based on the reality of the situation at present. It's not negative to be realistic and balanced. ....... again how can spending less achieve more? As every club in the world would want the answer. ....
Peter cannot answer this today as the pubs are open!
[quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: Peter 300 there with another amazing contribution (which was negative by the way)......my post is actually an attempt at putting perspective at our current position and counter some of the ridiculous claims made on Facebook etc. Fans are saying we will get promoted, in the play offs. That the new signings are quality etc......These fans will be the first to moan when these expectations fail to arise. Few fans will probably no anything about the signings in reality. Waynus is actually very good in this area by the way........the fact is we are spending less so why should that equate to achieving more? Please answer this. ...... I've said before that we could get more points by having a greater emphasis on attack which apparently we are going to. However the squad is threadbare and we are spending less. This will gradually be addressed squad size wise but where the over optimism comes from is pure wishful thinking and not based on the reality of the situation at present. It's not negative to be realistic and balanced. ....... again how can spending less achieve more? As every club in the world would want the answer. ....[/p][/quote]Peter cannot answer this today as the pubs are open! tyker7745
  • Score: 1

1:42pm Fri 20 Jun 14

mrmuzzy says...

What a joke.
loan signings!
What about paying a transfer fee for a player.
where's all our money gone?
Crap chairman. Need a new owner.
What a joke. loan signings! What about paying a transfer fee for a player. where's all our money gone? Crap chairman. Need a new owner. mrmuzzy
  • Score: -15

1:50pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Nickloza says...

mrmuzzy wrote:
What a joke.
loan signings!
What about paying a transfer fee for a player.
where's all our money gone?
Crap chairman. Need a new owner.
Paying for a player doesn't guarantee they will be any better than a free agent! You really do come across a rather simple individual!
[quote][p][bold]mrmuzzy[/bold] wrote: What a joke. loan signings! What about paying a transfer fee for a player. where's all our money gone? Crap chairman. Need a new owner.[/p][/quote]Paying for a player doesn't guarantee they will be any better than a free agent! You really do come across a rather simple individual! Nickloza
  • Score: 10

2:37pm Fri 20 Jun 14

OLD BANTAM says...

Cheer up you lot. It could be worse. You could be a Leeds supporter. Luke Oliver first new signing.
Cheer up you lot. It could be worse. You could be a Leeds supporter. Luke Oliver first new signing. OLD BANTAM
  • Score: 5

3:33pm Fri 20 Jun 14

jamiejoe says...

OLD BANTAM wrote:
Cheer up you lot. It could be worse. You could be a Leeds supporter. Luke Oliver first new signing.
Or a Hereford Utd fan!!
[quote][p][bold]OLD BANTAM[/bold] wrote: Cheer up you lot. It could be worse. You could be a Leeds supporter. Luke Oliver first new signing.[/p][/quote]Or a Hereford Utd fan!! jamiejoe
  • Score: 0

3:52pm Fri 20 Jun 14

dannbradfc says...

It could all come good with good management; tactics, team spirit and a little luck. Got to be harder though trying to do it on the cheap. ...
It could all come good with good management; tactics, team spirit and a little luck. Got to be harder though trying to do it on the cheap. ... dannbradfc
  • Score: -1

5:33pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Pablo says...

dannbradfc wrote:
I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality.

'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle.

The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time.

In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)
As ever, dann, a realistic post.

My expectations are the same as yours. That's not a criticism of anyone at the club. If we're "cutting our cloth", that's fair enough. Nobody wants to see a repeat of the circus over at Odsal. However, for fans to be talking of promotion is fanciful and I'll consider it a major success if we can maintain last season's position in the league. In reality,
[quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality. 'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle. The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time. In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)[/p][/quote]As ever, dann, a realistic post. My expectations are the same as yours. That's not a criticism of anyone at the club. If we're "cutting our cloth", that's fair enough. Nobody wants to see a repeat of the circus over at Odsal. However, for fans to be talking of promotion is fanciful and I'll consider it a major success if we can maintain last season's position in the league. In reality, Pablo
  • Score: -1

5:36pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Pablo says...

I meant to finish ..."In reality we all might have to settle for a lot less".
I meant to finish ..."In reality we all might have to settle for a lot less". Pablo
  • Score: -3

6:36pm Fri 20 Jun 14

jonahsbaldhead says...

mrmuzzy wrote:
What a joke.
loan signings!
What about paying a transfer fee for a player.
where's all our money gone?
Crap chairman. Need a new owner.
What money? What players do you think we should sign then clever clogs? Enlighten us with your football manager expertise.....
[quote][p][bold]mrmuzzy[/bold] wrote: What a joke. loan signings! What about paying a transfer fee for a player. where's all our money gone? Crap chairman. Need a new owner.[/p][/quote]What money? What players do you think we should sign then clever clogs? Enlighten us with your football manager expertise..... jonahsbaldhead
  • Score: 1

6:52pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Nickloza says...

Pablo wrote:
dannbradfc wrote:
I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality.

'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle.

The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time.

In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)
As ever, dann, a realistic post.

My expectations are the same as yours. That's not a criticism of anyone at the club. If we're "cutting our cloth", that's fair enough. Nobody wants to see a repeat of the circus over at Odsal. However, for fans to be talking of promotion is fanciful and I'll consider it a major success if we can maintain last season's position in the league. In reality,
I have not heard or seen any fans talking of promotion, the majority just want to improve on last season which is what must be strived for. Not finishing where we finished last season.
[quote][p][bold]Pablo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality. 'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle. The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time. In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)[/p][/quote]As ever, dann, a realistic post. My expectations are the same as yours. That's not a criticism of anyone at the club. If we're "cutting our cloth", that's fair enough. Nobody wants to see a repeat of the circus over at Odsal. However, for fans to be talking of promotion is fanciful and I'll consider it a major success if we can maintain last season's position in the league. In reality,[/p][/quote]I have not heard or seen any fans talking of promotion, the majority just want to improve on last season which is what must be strived for. Not finishing where we finished last season. Nickloza
  • Score: 2

7:06pm Fri 20 Jun 14

schroeder says...

I'm very confident for next season. Knott, Lidle, and Sheehan are excellent signings for us. We've replaced primarily league 2 players with primarily league 1 players and a couple of long-term premier league loan signings would be great if they have the same impact as Reach did.

Bring on the new season!
I'm very confident for next season. Knott, Lidle, and Sheehan are excellent signings for us. We've replaced primarily league 2 players with primarily league 1 players and a couple of long-term premier league loan signings would be great if they have the same impact as Reach did. Bring on the new season! schroeder
  • Score: 7

8:34pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Cityman23 says...

At this stage, before a ball has been kicked, 'PP's' four signings look to be good additions, but only competitive action will reveal the truth.

I was sorry to see Nathan Doyle go because he was able to play in a few positions and was often an influential player. Gary Jones, would've been used sparingly had he stayed, I feel and perhaps is less of a loss, though who can forget his dynamic displays/goals?

What concerns me is J Rhodes' comment that, " We will have a smaller squad than last year." To me, last season's squad seemed threadbare at times (because some fringe players were not good enough/ couldn't be played) and, without adequate cover on the bench, it puts the players in the first eleven under more pressure when there are injuries, and there is loss of form. Last season's bench, was poor with 'PP' often not prepared to bring people on for a number of different reasons.
At this stage, before a ball has been kicked, 'PP's' four signings look to be good additions, but only competitive action will reveal the truth. I was sorry to see Nathan Doyle go because he was able to play in a few positions and was often an influential player. Gary Jones, would've been used sparingly had he stayed, I feel and perhaps is less of a loss, though who can forget his dynamic displays/goals? What concerns me is J Rhodes' comment that, " We will have a smaller squad than last year." To me, last season's squad seemed threadbare at times (because some fringe players were not good enough/ couldn't be played) and, without adequate cover on the bench, it puts the players in the first eleven under more pressure when there are injuries, and there is loss of form. Last season's bench, was poor with 'PP' often not prepared to bring people on for a number of different reasons. Cityman23
  • Score: 1

9:01pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Pablo says...

Nickloza wrote:
Pablo wrote:
dannbradfc wrote:
I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality.

'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle.

The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time.

In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)
As ever, dann, a realistic post.

My expectations are the same as yours. That's not a criticism of anyone at the club. If we're "cutting our cloth", that's fair enough. Nobody wants to see a repeat of the circus over at Odsal. However, for fans to be talking of promotion is fanciful and I'll consider it a major success if we can maintain last season's position in the league. In reality,
I have not heard or seen any fans talking of promotion, the majority just want to improve on last season which is what must be strived for. Not finishing where we finished last season.
We finished where we did last season thanks to Nahki's goals in the first third of the season. Sadly, his replacement wasn't as successful and that's why finishing in the same position will be a success.
[quote][p][bold]Nickloza[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality. 'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle. The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time. In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)[/p][/quote]As ever, dann, a realistic post. My expectations are the same as yours. That's not a criticism of anyone at the club. If we're "cutting our cloth", that's fair enough. Nobody wants to see a repeat of the circus over at Odsal. However, for fans to be talking of promotion is fanciful and I'll consider it a major success if we can maintain last season's position in the league. In reality,[/p][/quote]I have not heard or seen any fans talking of promotion, the majority just want to improve on last season which is what must be strived for. Not finishing where we finished last season.[/p][/quote]We finished where we did last season thanks to Nahki's goals in the first third of the season. Sadly, his replacement wasn't as successful and that's why finishing in the same position will be a success. Pablo
  • Score: -3

10:32pm Fri 20 Jun 14

mr brightside says...

mrmuzzy wrote:
What a joke.
loan signings!
What about paying a transfer fee for a player.
where's all our money gone?
Crap chairman. Need a new owner.
Pr!ck
[quote][p][bold]mrmuzzy[/bold] wrote: What a joke. loan signings! What about paying a transfer fee for a player. where's all our money gone? Crap chairman. Need a new owner.[/p][/quote]Pr!ck mr brightside
  • Score: 5

9:26am Sat 21 Jun 14

bcfc mad85 says...

Pablo wrote:
Nickloza wrote:
Pablo wrote:
dannbradfc wrote:
I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality.

'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle.

The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time.

In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)
As ever, dann, a realistic post.

My expectations are the same as yours. That's not a criticism of anyone at the club. If we're "cutting our cloth", that's fair enough. Nobody wants to see a repeat of the circus over at Odsal. However, for fans to be talking of promotion is fanciful and I'll consider it a major success if we can maintain last season's position in the league. In reality,
I have not heard or seen any fans talking of promotion, the majority just want to improve on last season which is what must be strived for. Not finishing where we finished last season.
We finished where we did last season thanks to Nahki's goals in the first third of the season. Sadly, his replacement wasn't as successful and that's why finishing in the same position will be a success.
One player don't make a team mate would he have scored them goals or as many if big Jim wasn't there to provide them all this talk of where we would have been without his goals the reality is we stayed up and achieved a very good mid table finish
[quote][p][bold]Pablo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nickloza[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality. 'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle. The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time. In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)[/p][/quote]As ever, dann, a realistic post. My expectations are the same as yours. That's not a criticism of anyone at the club. If we're "cutting our cloth", that's fair enough. Nobody wants to see a repeat of the circus over at Odsal. However, for fans to be talking of promotion is fanciful and I'll consider it a major success if we can maintain last season's position in the league. In reality,[/p][/quote]I have not heard or seen any fans talking of promotion, the majority just want to improve on last season which is what must be strived for. Not finishing where we finished last season.[/p][/quote]We finished where we did last season thanks to Nahki's goals in the first third of the season. Sadly, his replacement wasn't as successful and that's why finishing in the same position will be a success.[/p][/quote]One player don't make a team mate would he have scored them goals or as many if big Jim wasn't there to provide them all this talk of where we would have been without his goals the reality is we stayed up and achieved a very good mid table finish bcfc mad85
  • Score: 4

11:17am Sat 21 Jun 14

audal says...

LOANEES ??? There are 23 just waiting for us in Brazil.
LOANEES ??? There are 23 just waiting for us in Brazil. audal
  • Score: 1

11:46am Sat 21 Jun 14

torreyman says...

Audal great comment best I have seen for a long time
Audal great comment best I have seen for a long time torreyman
  • Score: -1

3:26am Sun 22 Jun 14

dannbradfc says...

Nickloza wrote:
Pablo wrote:
dannbradfc wrote:
I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality.

'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle.

The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time.

In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)
As ever, dann, a realistic post.

My expectations are the same as yours. That's not a criticism of anyone at the club. If we're "cutting our cloth", that's fair enough. Nobody wants to see a repeat of the circus over at Odsal. However, for fans to be talking of promotion is fanciful and I'll consider it a major success if we can maintain last season's position in the league. In reality,
I have not heard or seen any fans talking of promotion, the majority just want to improve on last season which is what must be strived for. Not finishing where we finished last season.
Take a look on Facebook where every signing is a quality signing and better than the ones we had. Thus surely this equates to an higher place finish? Ti some were almost certain to be in the play offs. Even t and a headline talks of promotion (sheran). So it is there and on what is this based? Haven't we signed two Notts County players and didn't they struggle to stay up? Just don't see where these views come from. It's blind faith really......I hope we storm the league but a tiny squad, loans n less to spend is the actual reality. Why would meredith want to go? Same with Doyle? ......I can see us finishing in a similar mid table position but also concerned that with just s few key injuries we could be in trouble. .
[quote][p][bold]Nickloza[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality. 'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle. The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time. In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)[/p][/quote]As ever, dann, a realistic post. My expectations are the same as yours. That's not a criticism of anyone at the club. If we're "cutting our cloth", that's fair enough. Nobody wants to see a repeat of the circus over at Odsal. However, for fans to be talking of promotion is fanciful and I'll consider it a major success if we can maintain last season's position in the league. In reality,[/p][/quote]I have not heard or seen any fans talking of promotion, the majority just want to improve on last season which is what must be strived for. Not finishing where we finished last season.[/p][/quote]Take a look on Facebook where every signing is a quality signing and better than the ones we had. Thus surely this equates to an higher place finish? Ti some were almost certain to be in the play offs. Even t and a headline talks of promotion (sheran). So it is there and on what is this based? Haven't we signed two Notts County players and didn't they struggle to stay up? Just don't see where these views come from. It's blind faith really......I hope we storm the league but a tiny squad, loans n less to spend is the actual reality. Why would meredith want to go? Same with Doyle? ......I can see us finishing in a similar mid table position but also concerned that with just s few key injuries we could be in trouble. . dannbradfc
  • Score: 0

9:42am Sun 22 Jun 14

macca1969 says...

dannbradfc wrote:
Nickloza wrote:
Pablo wrote:
dannbradfc wrote:
I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality.

'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle.

The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time.

In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)
As ever, dann, a realistic post.

My expectations are the same as yours. That's not a criticism of anyone at the club. If we're "cutting our cloth", that's fair enough. Nobody wants to see a repeat of the circus over at Odsal. However, for fans to be talking of promotion is fanciful and I'll consider it a major success if we can maintain last season's position in the league. In reality,
I have not heard or seen any fans talking of promotion, the majority just want to improve on last season which is what must be strived for. Not finishing where we finished last season.
Take a look on Facebook where every signing is a quality signing and better than the ones we had. Thus surely this equates to an higher place finish? Ti some were almost certain to be in the play offs. Even t and a headline talks of promotion (sheran). So it is there and on what is this based? Haven't we signed two Notts County players and didn't they struggle to stay up? Just don't see where these views come from. It's blind faith really......I hope we storm the league but a tiny squad, loans n less to spend is the actual reality. Why would meredith want to go? Same with Doyle? ......I can see us finishing in a similar mid table position but also concerned that with just s few key injuries we could be in trouble. .
Its based on optimism something a lot of fans have in abundance before a ball is kicked. To be honest unless we find another 4-5 quality players I see a repeat of last season unless injuries are very kind. But it is possible on the cheap with a small squad. Look at Yeovil 2 seasons ago and Leyton Orient reached the playoffs last season on a shoe string. Don't worry about what others believe as those are entitled to dream. That is what football is all about dreams
[quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nickloza[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dannbradfc[/bold] wrote: I've taled about this elsewhere and it may seem negative but i'm concerned that our budget for this season as seen us taking gambles on players. For instance he may improve in time but is Dolan as good as/better than doyle or jones? Generally players get higher wages for a reason because they are better performers than those on lower. There are occasional exceptions of course. Just feel that wholesale changes to personnel can be risky. For parky to be looking to prop up the side with loans basically suggests that we are trying to do stuff on the cheap. The loans metioned in the piece above weren't exactly lynch-pins and a great rise in quality. 'll get criticism for this but some of Parkys signings last season weren't very good and in some cases a complete watse of resources. Bates, Kennedy, Taylor, Yeates etc all flattered to deceive. Was Bates a better alternative than Oliver and McHugh for instance who were already here? I', just a little concerned that we may start the season with a weak squad that if injuries were to occur means we are hitting the loan market all season. take away Nahkis goals and our great start and its easy to see how we could struggle. The balance is that hopefully we are going to be more attacking. Thus i expect more forwards and wingers to come into the squad. With only two experienced strikers and one of those gets injuries this must be a priority. Perhaps Knott et al can all prove to be astute signings and gel straight away. perhaps the loan signings can add quality but i'd temper this with our previous premiership signings who weren't anything special at the time. In sumation thers a lot of finger-crosiing and gambling going on. Agreed theres no certainties in football but thus far my expectations are not that high. certainly not as high as some predicting promotion without really looking at the squad and resources available. just trying to put a little perspective on this. Roll on the back-lash..... ;)[/p][/quote]As ever, dann, a realistic post. My expectations are the same as yours. That's not a criticism of anyone at the club. If we're "cutting our cloth", that's fair enough. Nobody wants to see a repeat of the circus over at Odsal. However, for fans to be talking of promotion is fanciful and I'll consider it a major success if we can maintain last season's position in the league. In reality,[/p][/quote]I have not heard or seen any fans talking of promotion, the majority just want to improve on last season which is what must be strived for. Not finishing where we finished last season.[/p][/quote]Take a look on Facebook where every signing is a quality signing and better than the ones we had. Thus surely this equates to an higher place finish? Ti some were almost certain to be in the play offs. Even t and a headline talks of promotion (sheran). So it is there and on what is this based? Haven't we signed two Notts County players and didn't they struggle to stay up? Just don't see where these views come from. It's blind faith really......I hope we storm the league but a tiny squad, loans n less to spend is the actual reality. Why would meredith want to go? Same with Doyle? ......I can see us finishing in a similar mid table position but also concerned that with just s few key injuries we could be in trouble. .[/p][/quote]Its based on optimism something a lot of fans have in abundance before a ball is kicked. To be honest unless we find another 4-5 quality players I see a repeat of last season unless injuries are very kind. But it is possible on the cheap with a small squad. Look at Yeovil 2 seasons ago and Leyton Orient reached the playoffs last season on a shoe string. Don't worry about what others believe as those are entitled to dream. That is what football is all about dreams macca1969
  • Score: 0

10:33am Sun 22 Jun 14

Waynus1971 says...

You really do make me wince at times Dan. Most of the time your views are logical and well thought out and then there are times when you have a rant and contradict yourself!

You slate PP for "trying to do things on the cheap" and suggest some of his signings (permanent) aren't good enough. However, you then criticise him for trying to stock up the squad with loanees? As you said, better players tend to be on higher wages, so if we can sign a quality winger and striker on Prem League wages, but only have to pay a small percentage, that's good news isn't it????

As for signing players from a Notts County team that struggled, come on you're not stupid so why say it? Did Yeates tear teams apart last season (yet he could for Watford one league higher)? Did de Vita show us how good he was (although he had a good season for Swindon the campaign prior)? You don't think Dolan is better than Jones (Dolan was at a Championship club, yet Jones was relegated along with Kennedy the last time they played at this level)? And for the record, County's form from Christmas was better than most clubs in League1.

As for the budget, do you actually know what this is? Yes it's been reduced by half a million, but that still means we will be spending over £2m this season. Personally, I think that's a decent budget to work from and I'm sure 70% of the clubs in League1 would like something similar. Perhaps they're all going to have to "do it on the cheap" as well? Don't forget that we have offloaded Gray, Connell, Bates, Oliver, Ravenhill, Fagan and more from last season. Do most of that half million has been saved from releasing players that weren't actually adding anything.

Finally, why mention me in a subsequent post? If I've heard/seen a player, I will give my judgement on how good he can be; if I don't know a player, I will say so. I knew nothing about Yeates and de Vita and said as much last season. I didn't rate Kennedy despite others claiming him to be quality. What's your point?

For the record, our best summer signing, in my opinion is Darby, the worst would be de Vita! The boys from Notts County are good players and I'd argue that they ARE better than Jones & McHugh.
You really do make me wince at times Dan. Most of the time your views are logical and well thought out and then there are times when you have a rant and contradict yourself! You slate PP for "trying to do things on the cheap" and suggest some of his signings (permanent) aren't good enough. However, you then criticise him for trying to stock up the squad with loanees? As you said, better players tend to be on higher wages, so if we can sign a quality winger and striker on Prem League wages, but only have to pay a small percentage, that's good news isn't it???? As for signing players from a Notts County team that struggled, come on you're not stupid so why say it? Did Yeates tear teams apart last season (yet he could for Watford one league higher)? Did de Vita show us how good he was (although he had a good season for Swindon the campaign prior)? You don't think Dolan is better than Jones (Dolan was at a Championship club, yet Jones was relegated along with Kennedy the last time they played at this level)? And for the record, County's form from Christmas was better than most clubs in League1. As for the budget, do you actually know what this is? Yes it's been reduced by half a million, but that still means we will be spending over £2m this season. Personally, I think that's a decent budget to work from and I'm sure 70% of the clubs in League1 would like something similar. Perhaps they're all going to have to "do it on the cheap" as well? Don't forget that we have offloaded Gray, Connell, Bates, Oliver, Ravenhill, Fagan and more from last season. Do most of that half million has been saved from releasing players that weren't actually adding anything. Finally, why mention me in a subsequent post? If I've heard/seen a player, I will give my judgement on how good he can be; if I don't know a player, I will say so. I knew nothing about Yeates and de Vita and said as much last season. I didn't rate Kennedy despite others claiming him to be quality. What's your point? For the record, our best summer signing, in my opinion is Darby, the worst would be de Vita! The boys from Notts County are good players and I'd argue that they ARE better than Jones & McHugh. Waynus1971
  • Score: 2

4:02pm Sun 22 Jun 14

jsummers96 says...

JACK GREALISH...!!!
JACK GREALISH...!!! jsummers96
  • Score: 0

4:28pm Mon 23 Jun 14

dannbradfc says...

Just seen this waynus. ....you wanna sign your return with an argument I take it. ........firstly I don't say parky is trying to do things on the cheap. I actually say that the club are. Rhodes as stressed a smaller squad. Why if as you state that the budget is more than competitive? Why then go to the loan market? Didn't loans policy contribute to six years in division four?

I brought you into it as you usually do good research on players. It was actually praise I I'm balanced. I'm nowhere near as hypocritical as you and I believe you use that term as I've previously pointed out your inconsistencies in this regard. You consequently feel the need to attempt to use it against myself I take it?

My points clear and consistent. Parky loans have often been wasteful. Eg Bates, Reed when we already had cover. Drury and reach were necessary and the loan system was used as it should be
Just seen this waynus. ....you wanna sign your return with an argument I take it. ........firstly I don't say parky is trying to do things on the cheap. I actually say that the club are. Rhodes as stressed a smaller squad. Why if as you state that the budget is more than competitive? Why then go to the loan market? Didn't loans policy contribute to six years in division four? I brought you into it as you usually do good research on players. It was actually praise I I'm balanced. I'm nowhere near as hypocritical as you and I believe you use that term as I've previously pointed out your inconsistencies in this regard. You consequently feel the need to attempt to use it against myself I take it? My points clear and consistent. Parky loans have often been wasteful. Eg Bates, Reed when we already had cover. Drury and reach were necessary and the loan system was used as it should be dannbradfc
  • Score: 0

12:27pm Tue 24 Jun 14

dannbradfc says...

Ps Waynus I can see the logic in the odd pritchard year long loan but for evry one of them there as been a waste of resources. Obviously i'm not for loans. As i state in the original post it just doesn't sit right with me cheering on another teams player. This maybe childish considering some players attitudes to clubs and football in general these days but thats how i feel. I wouldn't want a watford type situation whereby your effectively cheering on a team that haven't committed to the club and would perceive any subsequent glory on a par has buying a title......
Ps Waynus I can see the logic in the odd pritchard year long loan but for evry one of them there as been a waste of resources. Obviously i'm not for loans. As i state in the original post it just doesn't sit right with me cheering on another teams player. This maybe childish considering some players attitudes to clubs and football in general these days but thats how i feel. I wouldn't want a watford type situation whereby your effectively cheering on a team that haven't committed to the club and would perceive any subsequent glory on a par has buying a title...... dannbradfc
  • Score: 0

10:42pm Wed 25 Jun 14

blowinfree says...

I would be quite happy if we finish mid table again,its all about building a strong foundation going forward,we have been down a long while what's the big rush,rather hang a round than throwing everything we have or not from some of the comments.
I would be quite happy if we finish mid table again,its all about building a strong foundation going forward,we have been down a long while what's the big rush,rather hang a round than throwing everything we have or not from some of the comments. blowinfree
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree