Keighley Cougars 24 Batley Bulldogs 26

Miles Greenwood’s last gasp try robbed Keighley of victory in an enthralling Kingstone Press Championship clash at Cougar Park

Bulldogs led 18-6 at halftime but Cougars clawed their way back in the second half and in the dying minutes it looked as if they won the game when Richie Barnett crossed for his second try.

However, the visitors did not give up and Lee Paterson sent in Greenwood for his second in the final minute to steal victory.

Batley took the lead as Lee Paterson broke clear on the right edge and produced a long range offload to send in Scott back on the inside. Scott Leatherbarrow goaled to put the visitors six up.

Bulldogs continued to pile on the pressure as Keighley kicked the ball out on the full from the kickoff. They then won another penalty, but Leatherbarrow opted to take the two, despite Cougars being placed firmly on the back foot.

Keighley then hit-back with James Feather and Sean Hesketh combining to send in Daley Williams. Danny Jones converted to cut the deficit to two points.

It was not long after that Batley re-asserted their eight point advantage, though, as Ben Black sent in Sam Scott with a brilliant cut out pass. Leatherbarrow goaling.

They extended their lead further before halftime when Leatherbarrow fooled his former teammates with a pass back on the inside to to feed Greenwood in for his first.

Cougars quickly started on the comeback trial after halftime. Paul Handforth’s cross-field kick was scooped back by Barnett to Daley Williams, who then forced his way through. Jones converting.

Both Handforth and Jones combined in the halves to send Barnett in flying at the corner. Jones then hit the post with his attempted equaliser but quickly made amends by breaking the line for a try of his own before hitting the post from the conversion again.

However, Jones was then at fault, as he came flying at of the line of the line and missed his tackle, which gave Batley the overlap out-wide for Josh Griffin to cross.

Once again though, the Wales international more than made up for that effort. He kicked a magnificent 40-20 before sending in Richie Barnett at the corner in the next tackle in what looked like the winning try. Or so they thought.

Moments before the hooter, Jack Lee knocked on in the first tackle of a set. Paterson was then put into space by Scott before he found Greenwood in support though to the line and break Keighley’s hearts.

Keighley Cougars: Craven; White, Haley, Williams, Barnett; Jones, Handforth; Shickell, Feather, Hesketh, Graham, Rawlins, Lindsay. Subs: Haigh, Sheriffe, Peltier, Lee.

Batley Bulldogs: Greenwood; Finnegan, Patterson, Griffin, Brown; Black, Leatherbarrow; Smith, Blake, Hirst, Scott, Bretherton, Applegarth. Subs: Nicholson, Rowe, Mullally, Chandler.

Referee: A Sweet

Attendance: 913